Home

How do you see/ hope to see recruiting as a OC or DC Working?

This is a discussion on How do you see/ hope to see recruiting as a OC or DC Working? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
How do you see/ hope to see recruiting as a OC or DC Working?

I've seen the question on a couple of threads, about how it will work. So before we find out, how do ya'll think it should work.

My thought is that the HC is reponsible for setting the recruiting board, and you are only able to recruit players on your side of the ball & Athletes. I know the OC & DC should have some say in the recruiting board, but I think it adds a little more challenge of having to work with what you are given. Also, even though you may have recruited an Athlete, you do not get to set his position that is also reserved for the HC.

I would also like to see a "Recruiter" rating that starts out as avg. and goes up or down depending or your success rate signing recruits. This recruiter rating won't matter when it comes to recruiting (ie... a high recruiter ranking wont help you sign more players), but it would factor into what job offers you get (ie... a high "Recruiter" rating makes you a more attractive hire).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Rookie

nolesfan3's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: How do you see/ hope to see recruiting as a OC or DC Working?

I think it would be awesome if at the start of the season, you as a OC or DC get to pick the players you would be interested in for your "system" then submitted them to the HC. From there the HC got to have the final say in what players you go after. Then during the first six weeks of the season you can only recruit the players on the board your HC picked, but once kids start committing, you get the say in looking for some players that you think would work and maybe slipped through the cracks.

As far as how good you are at being a recruiter I think it should matter because a lot of the times kids only go to a school because of the coaches that are there. If you look at Miami now they have had several kids leave for the simple fact they don't like the new coaching staff. It would be pointless to have a rating on your recruiting skill if it doesn't play a factor in the whether or not kids commit to your school.

Go Noles!!

Xbox: NolesEM
PSN: ShowsOver
Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

I just have the feeling that the player, no matter what position he holds on the staff will be the "recruiting" coordinator... I atleast hope that option is available, I do not trust the CPU recruiting.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Banned

DJACK's Arena

OVR: 3

Whatever they decide, I hope they dont mess it up. This is a big deal.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Rookie

nolesfan3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenTigh
I just have the feeling that the player, no matter what position he holds on the staff will be the "recruiting" coordinator... I atleast hope that option is available, I do not trust the CPU recruiting.
I think you are exactly right, if they are allowing you to control so much i.e. conferences, bowl tie ins, there is no way they wont let the player be in charge of recruiting, or have the option to be at least.

Go Noles!!

Xbox: NolesEM
PSN: ShowsOver
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Rookie

hkwforAUTigers's Arena

OVR: 1

This is really a touchy aspect, as some coaches don't only recruit offensive or defensive players.
There is the aspect that some coaches (regardless of actual coaching spot) recruit based on their strengths and weakneses: ie some coaches are good at recruiting inner city kids, while some know how to speak well to country boys, etc.
There are also exceptions: Auburn just got a commit from a QB for next year, and we actually had Ted Roof, the defensive coordinator, recruiting him because Ted Roof played with the QBs father.
There will always be little exceptions and such, so I see it that you can recruit whoever you want. Lets just say you only recruited offensive players for week 1, and you left some time left over and 10 defensive players unrecruited. The computer (acting as the DC) would auto recruit the rest of the points. However if you wanted to, you could do all the recruiting on both sides of the ball by yourself.
I'm not saying this is my preference, but I am saying that this is probably how it will be done.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

If they want to go for total realism, then they are going to have to change the way you recruit in general. In real life, assistants do much more recruiting than the head coaches. Head coaches tend to close the deal while the assistants set the foundation of the recruit/program relationship.

I don't feel like typing out the many changes they would have to do to recruiting (although I might come back to this post later) but as for something they could do without an overhaul then the CPU Head Coach should assign regions and positions to you. There is a misconception that if you are on the offensive side of the ball, then you only recruit offensive players. Not true. The best recruiters are great at selling programs to kids and their parents and it doesn't matter what side of the ball you actually coach.

So lets say you are a OC at Florida. Your HC will assign you regions to recruit and positions he wants you to recruit. Then you have to reach the goals he sets for you to get a passing grade for that recruiting cycle. For example. You will be assigned to recruit Florida, Georgia, and Texas, and get a QB, RB, CB, and 2 DTs, 2 DBs, and a kicker to sign with the team. In this example you are only required then to sign 8 players. But in another year, your team goal may be to sign a full class and the coach may want you to go and get 12 or 13 players. If you want to meet your teams goals, then you have to sign the amounts the coach wants you to sign. And to make sure you just aren't filling needs with scrubs, then if you are at a high prestige school then lets say you are expected to have the average star of the players you recruit meet the a set star range for your program.

So for Florida, let's say the accepted average "stars" of the guys you recruited is 3.5. If the 8 players you sign fall below an average of 3.5, then you don't meet a goal. At the end of each recruiting cycle, then you get graded on how well you did at meeting goals (star average, meeting minimums, signing from pipelines). This would go into shaping your prestige rating just like in-season goals would. Coaches are expected to continue pipelines and meet needs just like they are expected to put up numbers in the regular season.

With this though, NCAA devs would HAVE to fix the "needs" aspect of the game. As it stands now, they only list like 3 positions that you have needs for and they don't do it by number. They should list the entire roster and show how many players you need at each position. That has to be included so one, teams aren't signing 4 QBs in one cycle, and two so it makes sense when a coach tells a coordinator how many players he wants to get so they don't over or undersign.

If this was integrated in the first year of having coordinators in the game, then I'd be happy. It isn't perfect, but it would be a good start.

Last edited by DorianDonP; 05-21-2011 at 10:48 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »