Home

Recruiting to specific styles

This is a discussion on Recruiting to specific styles within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
cts
Two Oh Six

cts's Arena

OVR: 6
Recruiting to specific styles

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but it can be tough to keep up with the volume of posts here anymore, lol.

But I was just thinking about everyone's (including mine) want/need for teams to recruit to their style. I think that in order for this to be correctly implemented, players would have to start having a more detailed role or tendency. And I mean something more than Pocket vs. Scrambling QB, etc.

Take the QB position, for example. With all of the different type of offenses out there, you can't fit the type QB needed for each by a simple "Scrambling" or "Pocket" tag. Sure, humans can do that legwork on their own, but to ask for a game's AI to decipher those things on it's own would be a lot to ask.

Really, for QBs, you'd almost need a role/tendency/tag for each of the offensive styles (Spread option QB, air raid QB, pro-style QB, etc). I'm not sure it would need to be AS detailed with other positions, but there would still need to be more than the two + "balanced" roles there are now. Maybe another good example would be a player having a 3-4 LB/4-3 DE type of role.

By adding these, it would make it much easier for CPU teams to recruit the right kind of players.

Has this been discussed before by any of the producers roaming around here? Or do any of you think that maybe that will be one of the new things in '12? And does any of this make sense at all? lol

Last edited by cts; 05-20-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

Re: Recruiting to specific styles

I like our ideas, its been discussed alot. But heck.. Id be happy if they just recruited to the current roles like Pocket, Balanced, and Scrambler... they do not even do that. I have had a dynasty where 5 years in GA Tech had 6 pocket QB's on the roster and not a single scrambler or even balanced guy. Assigning proper roles would be nice too... 5'8 165lbs power backs? 6'7 185lbs run stopping DE's? the list gores on and on.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
cts
Two Oh Six

cts's Arena

Agreed. Between out-of-whack roles assigned in the first place, and player sizes being very disconnected from what their rating are (like you said, small players with power attributes, etc)...very fixable things.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

Maybe have an IQ subset of AWR so that you could show the complexity of a playbook a QB could learn? Some might only be able to run an one look then run type of offense, while others could function in a play heavy, audible system.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Maybe have an IQ subset of AWR so that you could show the complexity of a playbook a QB could learn? Some might only be able to run an one look then run type of offense, while others could function in a play heavy, audible system.
Cam Newton, anyone?

But all unfair pokes aside, I agree that your dynasty's philosophies ought to carry more weight than they did last year. As I recall, when recruiting prospects last year, you only received basic information and interest levels regardless of a player's playing style. That made no sense. An option QB would not be heavily recruited by a school that runs a pro style offense.

But I have a suspicion that something along these lines will be a part of NCAA 12. We've already seen some indication that improvements to RTG mode indicate that it will be more closely associated with dynasty features (but from the player's perspective), and with that in mind, it's possible that a player's elected strengths will be accounted for more seriously.

But also remember that a player's progression will now be based on dynamic performance, coaching strengths, and other things. In other words, if you call the plays, and you are successful in gaining yards, scoring, etc, your players should progress based on the kinds of plays you ran.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Rookie

usc50's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
But also remember that a player's progression will now be based on dynamic performance, coaching strengths, and other things. In other words, if you call the plays, and you are successful in gaining yards, scoring, etc, your players should progress based on the kinds of plays you ran.
Wait, by "player's progression will now be based on dynamic performance" do you mean basically that playing time is going to actually play a role in how players progress their skills?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »