Home

Is it cheese??? DB at WR or WR at TE

This is a discussion on Is it cheese??? DB at WR or WR at TE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is it cheese?
DB playing WR 1 0.75%
WR playing TE 6 4.48%
CB playing QB 11 8.21%
FS playing DE 6 4.48%
All are cheese 48 35.82%
Some are cheese 43 32.09%
None are cheese 19 14.18%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Is it cheese??? DB at WR or WR at TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
I personally have no issue with a CB at WR, but the rest I have issues with. FS at DE will NEVER happen, and CB at QB only happens when the CB has QB skills (there was one who did this a couple years ago. I'm thinking at Virginia, but I can't think of his name. Dude was QUICK and utilized in a Wildcat role).
Vic Hall is who you are thinking of. He was recruited as a quarterback out of high school and moved to DB after his first year, IIRC. After playing well at CB his junior year and, in one game against VT playing well as a wildcat quarterback, he was moved back under center his senior year here, but this never quite panned out due to injuries and, to be honest, lack of ACC-caliber quarterbacking ability. He was quick, though.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #18
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
This makes ZERO sense. If you see a CB on offense, you know he's a WR. Why would you leave ANYONE uncovered? I just don't understand at all what you're trying to say.
I believe when he says "don't cover him" he is saying not to manually defend the guy. If I elect to allow the CPU CB to defend this blazing CB at WR that he will be wide open due to his distinct speed advantage.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #19
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bitz
Experimenting isn't a bad thing. I watched Oklahoma do this for years as well as any other school in America. Roy Williams played snaps on the line in the 2000 National Championship game as well at Linebacker and Safety.Andre Wolfolk played everywhere Bobby Stoops begged him to play. Utility guys are supposed to be special.
I have a feeling some people aren't reading the entire post. Clearly, this isn't a special play kinda deal, its an all-the-time kinda deal that seemingly is only being used due to flawed game mechanics and pertains to the exploitation of said mechanics. I think it is cheesy.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #20
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRDALE_KINGS
I believe when he says "don't cover him" he is saying not to manually defend the guy. If I elect to allow the CPU CB to defend this blazing CB at WR that he will be wide open due to his distinct speed advantage.
If someone is scared their CB is going to get burned on a play, then don't play an aggressive defense. Spotlight a receiver, or do something to help out your corner. Or play zone.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #21
Pro

FAIRDALE_KINGS's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
If someone is scared their CB is going to get burned on a play, then don't play an aggressive defense. Spotlight a receiver, or do something to help out your corner. Or play zone.
This guy runs the ball a lot. He actually runs to set-up the pass OR if he notices that you load up the box to stop his run then he audibles to the pass and throws it to the fast CB lined up at WR. When he motions his man and notices that you are in zone he will abuse his power running game and run counter until the cows come home.

The comment that "if someone is scared that their CB is going to get burned on a play... then don't play an aggressive defense" comment is stupid. Playing 2 Deep Man-Under is not aggressive defense. Yet, the CB still runs by both the CB and FS/SS who is attempting to get over the top to help because he is so much faster than everyone else on the field.

I'm smart enough to hot route my DE's to cover the flats on the opposite side of the field that I am attempting to manually cover to stop the WR lined up at TE running the Inside Cross/Mesh plays... while attempting to allow the CPU to double-team and bracket the CB going long every time.

Like I said before... the CB caught ONE pass for 50-yards. ONE!!!

But I should not have to worry about defending a CB lined up at WR running streak routes. First off... the CB has no WR skills. His RELEASE rating is awful. His Route Running is terrible. His SPC is awful. His Catch is awful. He just has SPEED and ACCELERATION and the guy USER CATCHES every time. So throw the ratings out the window.

Some have mentioned using the inverted Nickel to defend the WR lined up at TE... and I did that on occasion but TE's are unbumpable and he releases clean while running Ace Big Inside Cross. AND if he did notice Nickel he would just audible and run the HB counter away from the Nickel back which is what I would do as well.

I can understand using a WR at TE by using Personnel Packages. But to use Formation Subs and go into Ace Big and insert a WR at TE that's not right. The same personnel grouping is used for his Pistol Slot formation.

All that you see is: QB 1, HB 1, WR 2, CB 1, TE 1

The defense can not detect if he is under center running the Ace Big with the CB lined up left and WR lined up at Left Tight End...

OR

Is he running Pistol Slot with his Fast WR lined up in the Slot on the left with his CB lined up on the right.

The offense consists of: Speed Option, HB Counter, HB Dive, Inside Cross (hot route CB to a streak), 5 WR Four Verticals.

NCAA '11 does not allow the user to match-up according to the offensive personnel. I would have taken my one fast CB and lined him up on the fast CB all game and manually defended the Inside Cross myself ran by his fast WR at TE (or slot).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #22
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10

Take one of ur safeties and control him. Play cover 1 zone and let the other safety play down in the box. Play over the top on the fast DB or cut under routes. Or if that doesn't work play the pass when u load the box.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #23
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

What's messed up is you can sub your CB in this game and gain an advantage. It's a shame we have to make a bunch of rules when playing online to stop people from "cheesing." You have to make rules to discourage people from doing things that we should be encouraging them to do.

Hopefully EA fixed some of the issues in the game so we'll have less of these arguments this year.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #24
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Would never play with this guy due to him exploiting the video game.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »