Home

when will NCAA address the excessively deep drop backs/roll outs ?

This is a discussion on when will NCAA address the excessively deep drop backs/roll outs ? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
when will NCAA address the excessively deep drop backs/roll outs ?

I like all of the improvements that the development team is making; however, those improvements will make no difference, to me, if users are still able to drop back 20 yards and roll out to create scrambling and throwing opportunities. In real life, as well as some other titles, this isn't possible as the DEs get up the field, so the QB would be running right into them, and the passer's accuracy and distance, that they can throw beyond the line of scrimmage, is severely compromised.

If I buy NCAA 12, it will be for dynasty mode and draft classes. I'm not venturing online if I have to make my corners my primary edge rushers simply to counteract this nonsense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: when will NCAA address the excessively deep drop backs/roll outs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I like all of the improvements that the development team is making; however, those improvements will make no difference, to me, if users are still able to drop back 20 yards and roll out to create scrambling and throwing opportunities. In real life, as well as some other titles, this isn't possible as the DEs get up the field, so the QB would be running right into them, and the passer's accuracy and distance, that they can throw beyond the line of scrimmage, is severely compromised.

If I buy NCAA 12, it will be for dynasty mode and draft classes. I'm not venturing online if I have to make my corners my primary edge rushers simply to counteract this nonsense.
I feel your pain on this one. Sometimes I get the feeling the Devs just kinda say, "Cheese will be cheese no matter what we can't control how you play." and just leave it be. Which sucks. The pass rush needs to be a dominant factor in a football game, just like real life.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic

Well in a Madden 12 impression article I read, can't remember which one, it was stated that this is NOW what happens and that "ice skating" had been sufficiently reduced. So considering the NCAA 12 vids that have been shown so far, seem to still contain both of these legacy issues, they hopefully were just very early builds and both EA football games have since fixed these issues.

I have no problem with allowing gamers to do whatever their hearts desire on the virtual football field. I just want a reasonable representation of real life football risk/reward attached to what they do.

Last edited by Thinking Out Loud; 05-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Rookie

JMUfootball's Arena

OVR: 0

One of the reasons that players resort to this tactic is that the camera for NCAA and Madden is too high above the quarterback. As a result, you have no peripheral vision to feel rushers when you are sitting in the pocket, because if you are looking downfield the pocket is too far below your field of vision.

Two ways this can be fixed:

1- Bring back first person cameras for quarterbacks. I remember this being a feature in some football games in the late 90's, but not sure if it was ever in an EA game. I see no reason why it shouldn't be in there. Imagine - left stick controls movement like usual and right stick controls head movement. I'd buy a game for this feature alone.

This way you would see the field - and the rushers - as real QB's do, and "pocket presence" becomes something real.

2- If not the highly more desirable choice one, then at least have a controller vibration when pass rushers are getting near.

Back to the original roll-out complaint, I try to sit in the pocket as long as I can but still find myself drifting back and scrambling more than I'd like simply because there's nothing I hate more than getting plastered mid throw by rushers that I could not see because of the lousy camera angle. Fix this problem (and add in some of the other compromises mentioned in other posts like reducing accuracy from deep outside the pocket) and I think we'd see a positive change in this aspect of gameplay.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
Well in a Madden 12 impression article I read, can't remember which one, it was stated that this is NOW what happens and that "ice skating" had been sufficiently reduced. So considering the NCAA 12 vids that have been shown so far, seem to still contain both of these legacy issues, they hopefully were just very early builds and both EA football games have since fixed these issues.

I have no problem with allowing gamers to do whatever their hearts desire on the virtual football field. I just want a reasonable representation of real life football risk/reward attached to what they do.
I don't really think that the "ice skating" plays a part in it. The three things that play a part in this not being possible in real life, and a couple of other titles, is one, the DEs get up the field, so it's actually wiser not to roll out beyond your protection. Two, the QB can't throw the ball as far beyond the line of scrimmage because he's farther behind the line of scrimmage, and three, the accuracy of the throw is severely compromised.

In Madden, since M10, I haven't really encountered this problem at all. The Madden team has been frustrating (over the years) in numerous ways, but they have taken measures to rid the game of this problem since they made the icons disappear when dropping beyond ten yards in Madden 09. They introduced the auto drop back, which although it failed, it shows that they acknowledged, at least, that there was a problem. Madden also had throw in the run ratings so every QB wasn't effective at throwing on the run.

NCAA hasn't done anything at all to correct the problem. They haven't even acknowledged it even though the Madden team, which works in the same building, has.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 05-24-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5

I can think of one solution. Have stamina have more of an affect on how a QB plays. If they continually run right after saying hike as the game goes on the QB should be dead tired and a lot less accurate.

Also DEs should get up the field faster and be able to accelerate faster than the QB after they take the snap.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

I do love the throwing on the run rating.

Also it would be nice to have a vibration as the pocket collapsed so staying in the pocket wasn't nearly as bad.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Rookie

Draxion's Arena

OVR: 4

I say put a modified version of the Backbreaker camera in NCAA (I know this wont happen). It would fix that problem with QBs along with forcing the player to have to read the field like RL qbs.
Would also probs toughen passing up, having a blind side and all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »