Home

Why football games need more rating specific moves.

This is a discussion on Why football games need more rating specific moves. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Why football games need more rating specific moves.

One of the aspect of football games that designer have failed at capturing is making each individual player feel like an individual. As of now every player is a clone of the other. After proper physic and technique, making players individuals is the next most important thing in a sports game. Image the replay vaule of a sports game if every player not only had to obey the laws of physic, used proper techinques, but also played just like there real life counterpart or to the strengths(or weakness if that's what his tendencies are) of their ratings.

The first step to this is tendencies. Madden finally stepped up to the plate here so clearly the importance of individuality is on EA's Tiburon radar. While having the same amount/type of tendencies in Madden may never be possible because of the sheer size of NCAA roster. I do think that something like this http://www.operationsports.com/forum...cies-ncaa.html would go a long way and is do-able in NCAA.

The next step to individualilty is rating specific moves. I am aware that this is in the game at certain position to a certain degree. My point is RSM should be something that jumps out at you every play of every game. If you lose your stud player you should not only feel the impact with a decrease in production, but you should see the impact immediately. For example if my LE is a speed rusher the techinques that he use should be different from that of the RE who is a power rusher. Staying with the example if my starting LE is injuried and the back up is also a speed rusher if he isn't as good I should see the difference in the speed rush moves the back up use and how effective he his at getting pressure.

I would love to see the dev team add much more mo-capped moves for every position/play style. Have a package of moves for elite/solid/poor/out-of-place. If we had this it would also go a long way against gamers who like to exploit the game. If a player is playing out of position his techinque would be so poor he would hurt his teams more than help. Basketball videogames has this right. They combine both tendencies with RSM to get real authentic play.

Also I would like to see the Pass blocking footwork and Run blocking footwork taking out and replaced by just a Footwork rating. This way that rating can effect every position not just the O-Lineman. Which should be huge in ratings specific moves.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Why football games need more rating specific moves.

Preach on brother. just like they need the individual/signature running styles from the old maddens to further differentiate ppl. these 2 things could go a long way to freshen up the game and bring it to a nba2k11 type level where every player is diff
----------------------
Madden Since '92
Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Pro

TallyBoi7's Arena

OVR: 8

I agree...I was actually thinking about this when I saw the new diving catches they added to NCAA this year.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Ratings-specific moves, huh. Well, I think someone would have to develop a human animation toolset that can import player-specific body language. This is currently beyond EA's development reach. Of course, they already apply motion capture techniques, but those are generic.

But I agree that the next step in producing realistic sports games is to attempt to give personalities to what we see on the screen, not just how they perform under the hood.

Anyone up for a huge investment in development dollars?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
Ratings-specific moves, huh. Well, I think someone would have to develop a human animation toolset that can import player-specific body language. This is currently beyond EA's development reach. Of course, they already apply motion capture techniques, but those are generic.

But I agree that the next step in producing realistic sports games is to attempt to give personalities to what we see on the screen, not just how they perform under the hood.

Anyone up for a huge investment in development dollars?
If they do this it will be pretty much the majority of the gameplay budget I would imagine. At this point I think it's necessary. We need to have great players separated from the average from the scrubs. As of now there is a slight difference between stud top 10 NFL pick from a walk on who with an 85man roster would never see the field.

I'm not asking for individual packages like basketball. It's not really necessary in football at the same time right now I can put a safety @DE and he will perform moves that take months sometime years to learn something is wrong with that. I put a FB @ WR and while there was a slight difference in the way he ran his routes it was very subtle. The problem was he still got off the line with ease, got separation from CB's, and consistently made plays completely out of position. Once again this for me is a huge problem in really enjoying a game a problem I don't see in my other favorite sport basketball.

It's not about body language it's about technique and the different level of skill at each and every fundamental techniques.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
cts
Two Oh Six

cts's Arena

OVR: 6
This would be very cool...and something that seems to be one of those "only a matter of time" things.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Seattle Seahawks | Seattle Sonics | Seattle Mariners |Washington Huskies | Montana State Bobcats
Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10

I agree 100%. Even though I never owned the game but when I watch youtube of APF2K8 I am just amazed by the animations in that game. If ncaa and madden had an animation set like that one, it would hands down be the best game with its high quality graphics. And I'm not certain but I would have to think that all 2K did was mo-cap all of them just like they did the animations in the basketball game.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith.0
This would be very cool...and something that seems to be one of those "only a matter of time" things.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Clearly now that random fluff isn't the objective hopefully they wouldn't mind taking a whole cycle to properly implement tendencies and RSM's. There is nothing "sexy" about what the team did gameplay wise the last two years and there's more buzz every year for this game.

If EA Tiburon can separate level of talent and give players "football" personality next year it will blow everything they have added to this game ever away easily IMO.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-27-2011 at 12:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »