Home

My Prestige Rankings

This is a discussion on My Prestige Rankings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: My Prestige Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudedominick
Tough to win a championship when you are never given a chance.
100% agree it is tough. The reason they have not gotten a chance, they lack the prestige (respect given for success(another definition of prestige)) to warrant the chance.

Most prestigious schools in football in no particular order (remember just my opinion):
Texas
Oklahoma
USC
Notre Dame - although I hate them, they are the Yankees of football will always be relevant
Alabama
Ohio St
Michigan

Despite any shortcomings those teams will alway be revered as the best of the best "program" wise. There are other teams who at times are their and at others a step behind. Those would be your Florida, Florida St, Miami, Nebraska, Penn St, Virginia Tech(which is an awesome program just can't get the NC), Georgia, Auburn, Oregon, LSU, Tennessee. I am sure there are others you could include but that's what I have off the top of my head. Those are 5* IMO.

The next group would include Ga Tech, Colorado, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan St, West Virginia, North Carolina, Arizona, Arizona St, Clemson, BYU, Ole Miss, UCLA, Oregon St, Washington, Arkansas, Boise St, TCU,. Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, K-State. Over the last couple decades, year in and out you never knew what you would get. They have a stretch of great teams and a stretch of average teams. Never any consistency over time. I know Boise has a small window of years to evaluate which is why they are in this list. All of these teams have appeared at one point to be on the way to being a consistent top 10 team and then falling short after a couple years and taking a while to build back up.

Last edited by schumj; 06-01-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 9

Interesting read on an article ESPN did in 2009 ranking the most prestigious fbs schools. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468 , there is even a link defining how they came up with their rankings that is completely numbers based. It is based on data starting with the 1936 season ( the 1st year of the AP poll.)

National title: 25 points
The full 25 points were awarded to any team that won one of the two major poll titles (AP, UPI or coaches) that season. No season had more than two title winners.

Berth in one of the major bowls: 10
Major bowls were defined as every Rose, Orange and Sugar bowl since '36; every Cotton Bowl from 1940 to '94 (i.e., from when it started taking the SWC champ until the Cotton was booted from the Bowl Alliance); and every Fiesta Bowl since the '86 season when the historic No. 1 Miami-vs.-No. 2 Penn State game changed the landscape of college football.

Major bowl win: 10

Best win/loss record in conference regular season: 10
These points were awarded to every team that had at least a share of the best overall record in a major football conference, regardless of divisional alignment. Independent schools were awarded the bonus if they were ranked ahead of at least three of the big six conference champions in a final regular-season poll that season.

Final AP top-5 finish: 10
All final poll points were awarded for the final poll put out by the AP that season.

Heisman winner: 8

Final AP top 6-10 finish: 6

Conference title championship-game bonus: 5
This bonus was given to a school only if it hadn't already gotten credit for having the best record in its conference's regular season.

Final AP top 11-25 finish: 4

Bowl appearance: 3
This was awarded for any NCAA-sanctioned bowl, and would be added to the previously mentioned major bowl points.

Bowl win: 3
10-win season: 2
Week as AP No. 1: 2
Win over AP No. 1: 1
Each consensus All-American: 1
First-round NFL draft pick (since '70): 1
Losing season: minus-2

There were lots of variables for when a school was handed penalties by the NCAA for infractions. Those penalties were graded as such:
Each year of television ban: minus-1
Each year of postseason ban: minus-2
Each year of overall probation: minus-1
Each year of financial-aid penalty: minus-1
Each year of recruiting penalties: minus-1
Each penalty of "show cause action:" minus-2
Old 06-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Michigan a 3*? Get real
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NCAAF/NCAAB: Michigan Wolveines
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #20
Rookie

gofresno's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
They look pretty good, however, from the pictures they've shown, Fresno is a 2* (That just suprises me, hopefully they change that before the release)
Thank you! Out of 6 stars I don't see how Fresno State is not at least a 3 star. 11 winning seasons/bowl appearances in 12 years should be worth something...
Old 06-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballfan952
Michigan a 3*? Get real
As much as I HATE to agree I must. I say ur a 5* but I figure ur gonna say ur a 6*. Also G. Tech is a 4*, Va Tech is a 5* and probably, I Hate to say this to but, Miami also. Oregon is a 5*.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 31

UM is a 4 or 5* 2 years of not making a bowl game is a big blow.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
As much as I HATE to agree I must. I say ur a 5* but I figure ur gonna say ur a 6*. Also G. Tech is a 4*, Va Tech is a 5* and probably, I Hate to say this to but, Miami also. Oregon is a 5*.
No, I'll agree with you on 5*, although I could see why someone would say 6*. But 3..... that's just a slap in the face. Besides the NCAA's all time winningest program (yes I'm going to bring it up) shouldn't be very severely penalized because of 3 bad seasons, one of which was still a winning season.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NCAAF/NCAAB: Michigan Wolveines
Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
Rookie

kevj349's Arena

I loath Michigan but they have some serious tradition, which is why we love the rivalry. Michigan is gonnna bring it this year and be right back fighting for a big ten championship. They are a 6*. You can't erase the past 20 years just because of the last 3.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »