Home

When are gonna get realistic Jump Balls?

This is a discussion on When are gonna get realistic Jump Balls? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #25
Rookie

pj_28's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: When are gonna get realistic Jump Balls?

I read this thread very quickly so I may have passed it over while I was spacing out, but just uping the WR aggression would be good enough for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
Fair enough. I understand you guys don't want to user catch, but man, I feel like you're missing out. Turn up the CPU D's pass defense slider and it won't feel like you have an unfair advantage.

It works great for me the way it's implemented now. I hope they keep it like this forever. It may take more user skill than in Madden, but if you have a great receiver, it makes fighting for the ball that much more rewarding.
Agreed. User catch makes for great jump ball situations. I love it.

Only thing missing is interaction of the WR's/DB's arm/hands. That would be fantastic. Maybe add a button to hand checking and if used aggressively enough, get called for off./def. PI. For DB's that button could be used sort of like a defensive player lock like in NBA games, only not as extreme. When a QB is in pass mode, B button doesn't spin move, it throws to the B WR (or circle for PS3). I don't see why with a little bit of effort you couldn't do something like that with DB's and WR's interaction with the ball in the air.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #27
Rookie

KillerNuts's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
As long as they have the current interactions between WRs and DBs, we'll never get a realistic jump ball. For anyone who has played FIFA, they have an unbelievable "jostling" system where players actually feel and interact with each other while they're running. Seeing WRs and DBs battle for position while the ball is in the air would be amazing. But, sadly, we have nothing even remotely like that in NCAA. And then to top it all off, EA put in an over-the-shoulder catch last year, so naturally, it needs to occur 80% of the time.

The only way to get your WR to go up for a jump ball on a consistent basis is hot-route your receiver to a fade route when you're inside the 5 yard line. Right after he makes his break, throw the softest lob you can and don't press anything. The receiver will make this awkward, jittery move to face the goalline, but will then jump up to catch the ball. It looks awful, and you feel disconnected since you have to let the computer do it, but it's the only way to be sure they go up for it. I've tried to develop a way for me to be able to do this manually, but it almost always goes into the over-the-shoulder animation. And since DBs all jump like Michael Jordan and QBs never get the ball far enough ahead of the WR (these things should be landing on the corner pylon), you have no chance.
Unfortunately, in the most comparable thing being headers, FIFA still has the issue that it's just 1 animation dominating the other.
====

It's not that difficult to throw a jump ball. You do a soft lob and try to under throw it then get the receiver turned around. The only problem is that they don't jockey like they should.
www.traditionsportsonline.com
Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #28
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerNuts
Unfortunately, in the most comparable thing being headers, FIFA still has the issue that it's just 1 animation dominating the other.
====

It's not that difficult to throw a jump ball. You do a soft lob and try to under throw it then get the receiver turned around. The only problem is that they don't jockey like they should.
I don't see that as much of an issue. One animation is going to win out. Something has to win out. How is that any different than what we have now? When you user catch a ball in the endzone, didn't your catch animation win out over the DB's swat animation? Except that with the jostling system you can actually fight the receiver/defender for position instead of just warping around each other. I can see in soccer how it's a bigger problem because they're hitting the ball (not catching it) and it's not right if a defender can't realistically affect the shot because the animation has already been chosen. But for football, this isn't as big of an issue. They would just need to add the ability for DBs to try to pull the ball out of the receiver's hands after the catch if they're in the right position.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »