Home

Why don't EA NCAA Football games use real names?

This is a discussion on Why don't EA NCAA Football games use real names? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Why don\'t EA NCAA Football games use real names?

It's always bugged me that we have to manually enter our own Rosters. And what's worse is you'll sometimes hear Brad Nesslar call out a players name if you enter it in the teams roster.

Any ideas why ncaa players names are not in EA's NCAA football games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2003, 08:26 PM   #2
Fear Ameer

skitch's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Why don\'t EA NCAA Football games use real names?

Because it's illegal.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:55 PM   #3
Rookie

Theute19's Arena

OVR: 3

The athletes can't because they would be considered professionals by the NCAA. Then they would be inelligable to play.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:44 PM   #4
Banned

Thanks I didn't know that
Old 09-01-2003, 11:13 PM   #5
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

cant EA pay the NCAA for the naming rights? or would they have to pay the players individually? i guess theres no NCAA PA lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2003, 12:14 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

It is against NCAA rules to use a specific player’s name and image to market a product. The athletes can be used to market their individual schools, but not any 3rd party products. It violates the NCAA rules regarding amateurism.

For that matter, EA can't use professional athletes’ images without negotiating, separately from their negotiations to use the NFL teams and their logos. When the players join the NFL Players Association, they allow the NFLPA to negotiate deals like this, that is why you see the NFLPA tag on the box and intro screens. Incidentally, the NFL Coaches also allow the NFLCA (the coaches' union) to negotiate the use of their images, which is why you see the actual coach names in this year's game.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:02 AM   #7
Fum police

ndeezlo's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:

Bigfish said:
It is against NCAA rules to use a specific player’s name and image to market a product. The athletes can be used to market their individual schools, but not any 3rd party products. It violates the NCAA rules regarding amateurism.

The only thing confusing about this is magazines that use college players on covers and such.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:

ndeezlo said:
Quote:

Bigfish said:

The only thing confusing about this is magazines that use college players on covers and such.

Yo, I agree with you 100 percent my friend...."Lee Corso"

It such a freakin grey area with College players. My thoughts are if players are not making money from using their names or endorsements, I see no harm in using their names in the game.

Personally I think this whole collegiate thing is bogus, just like when the Olympics only used amateurs. I think players should be allowed to make money while in school. My take on that is if they are allowed to make money from their on field play then they aren't entitled to free tuition and maybe the school gets a small cut from their earnings.

Just my two cents

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »