Home

What makes NCAA fun isn't the gameplay (for me)

This is a discussion on What makes NCAA fun isn't the gameplay (for me) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
MVP

GaryT531's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: What makes NCAA fun isn't the gameplay (for me)

I can't seem to get into it as much as I hoped I would either, and this is coming from a guy who bailed on 11 trading it in in October and never looked back. Maybe it's me and I'm losing my love for football games. I don't know. I put on NCAA 06 after playing the demo for most of the night and had more fun. I didn't want that to be the case. Can't believe I've been playing that game on and off for 6 years now. So I guess I have my answer. Yet I keep coming on these boards looking for anything to help get me into this game because it's this year's season of college football. Same story with Madden. I'll give it an honest chance like every year on 360, and if I'm not having fun then it'll be year 7 for me with ESPN NFL 2k5.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #10
MVP

GaryT531's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I'm closing this. Please post all impressions in the demo thread.

*tries to close it*

CURSES!

I'm sold on the tackling and the momentum. I've had many run plays in the demo that in NCAA 11 would've been a single defensive player stuffing me. In the demo, I drove him back and gained yards until another defender cleaned me up and drove me to the ground.

For me, this was what was lacking from NCAA 11's solid game play (outside of a totally revamped passing game). I wasn't sure I was going to buy it with DPP and traits not in it. But, after playing it, I can't play NCAA 11 anymore. I played a game after playing the demo 10 times. I got frustrated.
I'm with you on the tackling and the momentum. It's not too often that I've seen the same animation twice because of it. There was one play I had with Oregon where I ran up the middle with 21 and lost him in the crowd only to reappear and took it all the way for an 80 plus yard td run. Def was a 'Wow' moment.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #11
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Gary, I get what you're saying, but I liked 11...it just wasn't that replayable. Maybe it's my own stubbornness, I don't know. I would spend $60 for last years game if it were minus 3 things

1) CPU DE's magically turning the corner so you can't get around the end, even though their blocked

2) Psychic DB's

3) Super LB's

They must be harder to get rid of than I realize , but it really seems simple. They fixed #1 it seems. But 2 and 3, are still there... not enough to ruin a game or something- but after you play a few times, it'll seem worse than it is.

My point is simply that for me, the replay value last year and this year if I pick up 12, will be in the other modes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #12
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

I love seeing a running back mow over defenders and force LBs to pile on just to drive me down. NCAA (and I'll assume Madden) will be some wicked fun in that regard. I think a BIG difference maker will be pursuit. I've noticed that a lot of mediocre defensemen will either lose the tackle or need serious help. Pursuit will mean a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Gary, I get what you're saying, but I liked 11...it just wasn't that replayable. Maybe it's my own stubbornness, I don't know. I would spend $60 for last years game if it were minus 3 things

1) CPU DE's magically turning the corner so you can't get around the end, even though their blocked

2) Psychic DB's

3) Super LB's

They must be harder to get rid of than I realize , but it really seems simple. They fixed #1 it seems. But 2 and 3, are still there... not enough to ruin a game or something- but after you play a few times, it'll seem worse than it is.

My point is simply that for me, the replay value last year and this year if I pick up 12, will be in the other modes
#2 and #3 are big deals for me. I think I'm just numb to them anymore. It's not a great attitude, I know, but I just expect it. I just KNOW that if I try to put a ball over a LB, he'll jump 10 feet up, in a millisecond, and bat it down. And I think until EA fixes the passing game, it'll continue to be there as a "fix."

I've tailored my passing game to specifically avoid the LBs and not allow myself to get frustrated by that. So I run seam routes, slants, out routes, etc.

Last edited by Broncos86; 06-29-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
Pro

pirates946's Arena

OVR: 16

Im buying because im happy with what they got gameplay wise but the new features are definitely why im buying this year. CC, custom playbooks, and a totally overhauled for the better RTG are what brings me to NCAA this year.

Taylor Potts Gang or Die
Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

2) Psychic DB's

3) Super LB's

I agree. If coaching carousel and custom conferences and all that are great, I'm definitely going to buy. As for your 1-3, hopefully some good sliders will dumbie this problem down a bit. I'm not too worried. I in fact, skipped the demo because I could care less about the gameplay (that is sad) because it's going to be the same or minorly different.

All I care about are the extra features. The ones they talked about sound great, if they are, I will buy.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I've realized after the demo, with super LB still in, psychic DB still in, and some suction gone...I should be happier with the demo.

But I had no fun playing it. What's going to seal it for me , is seeing and hearing how people feel about presentations, recruiting , coaching carousel etc...

The option works a little better (I mean why buy NCAA if you can't run the trendiest offense in the assocation), and that was fun. They seemed to have fixed it some...

But the demo hasn't done anything for me, because I can't measure immersion in the other stuff. I can honestly say I believe EA gameplay this gen will never change too much.

Is there anyone else who's pretty much given up on their ability to make more than incremental baby-steps year to year?

I liked NCAA 11 and unless I LOVE some changes in dynasty I read about during full retail, I won't pick up 12.

I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way about the "extra stuff" being the selling point, because I don't think they can or will improve gameplay much anymore...

Agree 100%

I have played the demo a few times and the game just feels real dull.. It just doesn't seem exciting or anything really new.. IMO, NCCA 11 actually plays better and Ncaa 11 had its flaws so idk.. While some things are improved, it just feels like they took a step back again. Also i dont know if im the only one who feels this, but it seems like you dont really have total control of the players, i cant quite put my finger on it. It seems like i had better control of the players in NCaa 11. EA just cant get Next Gen Football right it seems. Heres hoping Madden is better this year..

Last edited by nyg92fan; 06-29-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #16
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i agree with TC, what i really wanted wasn't a feature but i feel its important and its the zoom cam that its brother has.....

i picked up 11 about 2 weeks ago and i think that will hold me over because i am not a dynasty player i love play now games..........

#18 greatest EVA....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »