Home

Blocking on screens

This is a discussion on Blocking on screens within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Banned

JJ_Bills9's Arena

OVR: 5
Blocking on screens

This has been terrible for years, and judging fromt the demo it's still god-awful. Why hasnt the dev. team fixed this at some point.

What I mean is, why do I even have linemen pulling or WR's set up to block if they wait until I pass the ball to start blocking someone? Also, the WR's don't even go after the DB, they just run in to a pre-determined spot and wait for me to throw the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Blocking on screens

I got a long touchdown from HB #21 of Oregon with a screen, and the blocks developed beautifully. I think they're fine.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah, they really need to re-do blocking AI on screen passes. I find it funny that when you call a running play, you can see the blockers assignments shift around and "match-up" with the guy their about to block. But on bubble and WR screens, they just have a set spot where they're going to run to. Why can't they "match-up" like the linemen do?

Also, I love how linemen don't engage the defender before they release to block. They just let the rushers right on through, which is why your QB gets blasted most of the time on screens. And while yes, you want the rushers getting through on screens (that's kind of the whole point), you're still supposed to engage the guy first and then release. Not only does this give the QB a little extra time, but it also doesn't make it so obvious that it's a screen pass.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Pro

TallyBoi7's Arena

OVR: 8

Screens have been hit a miss for me in the demo...sometimes it's money, sometimes it gets totally blown apart...I've score some nice touchdowns on screens
MLB: Atlanta Braves
Old 07-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

I thought the blocking was improve in the demo, but I could be wrong. You might also attribute it to the non-psychic AI not being ready for the screen as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

I found sometimes it depends on the play itself. It seems like certain screens are doomed to fail whereas others work properly (i.e. you have a fair shot at making positive yardage). It'll be nice this year with custom playbooks to weed out plays that are unworkable.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Hit or miss.......

RB screens work sometimes......

WR screens are a no go. The other WR don't block and let the defender go right to the WR that is catching the ball.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Hit or miss.......

RB screens work sometimes......

WR screens are a no go. The other WR don't block and let the defender go right to the WR that is catching the ball.
Exactly. RB screens have blocking that works most of the time. WR screens and bubble screens have blocking that never works, unfortunately. I wish it did because I love watching beautiful bubble screens work. Leading a receiver right at the line of scrimmage with a head of steam coming inside or going outside and then breaking some poor LB's ankles taking a bad angle...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »