Home

Conference Prestige ratings?

This is a discussion on Conference Prestige ratings? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #41
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Conference Prestige ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
It only affects recruiting and I doubt it is a make-or-break pitch. If I'm Oklahoma in the Sun Belt, I highly doubt someone turns me down because I'm in the Sun Belt. It's just there to be there, I'm hoping.
Conference Prestige also affects bowl picking order. If there are 5 undefeated teams at the end of the season, the top 2 teams with the highest Conference Prestige go to the NCG. Sounds good right? Actually no, because 1 team that had all shut outs from quality competition could be left out while a team that played a bunch of lower tier teams and gave up tons of points could stumble in. I think it should change depending on the sum of all prestige stars of each team and not a preset rank that won't change for 60 years. 60 years ago, the SEC wasn't the SEC we know today so why keep them at a fixed ranking for 60 years in the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain32
Conference Prestige also affects bowl picking order. If there are 5 undefeated teams at the end of the season, the top 2 teams with the highest Conference Prestige go to the NCG. Sounds good right? Actually no, because 1 team that had all shut outs from quality competition could be left out while a team that played a bunch of lower tier teams and gave up tons of points could stumble in. I think it should change depending on the sum of all prestige stars of each team and not a preset rank that won't change for 60 years. 60 years ago, the SEC wasn't the SEC we know today so why keep them at a fixed ranking for 60 years in the game?
Conference prestige has an effect, but it's not as cut and dry as you make it sound. In this thread or another thread, someone said they played as Kentucky, went undefeated, but missed out on the championship game and I believe got picked over by a one-loss team. If it was conference prestige alone, Kentucky would have been a lock.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #43
Rookie

gharp14's Arena

OVR: 12

Is this something that can be patched in later because it does hurt the overal addition of custom conferences
Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #44
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
Also I wonder how it is that VT was ranked ahead of NC State in the Coaches poll but NC State is ahead in this one when they clearly played each other in the ACC championship game (11-2 records for both).
Not necessarily...say NC State's two losses are both in the ACC...what if FSU (who is in the same division) beats NC State and has either the same or better conference record they would go to the title game, and if VT beats them, FSU drops some and if NC State's losses were early, they would climb the rankings some each week...or even more likely if they lose one non conference and one game to FSU and FSU either has same or better conference record...then FSU goes to the title game
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #45
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain32
Conference Prestige also affects bowl picking order. If there are 5 undefeated teams at the end of the season, the top 2 teams with the highest Conference Prestige go to the NCG.
Uh, actually where you're ranked determines if you go to the NCG. If you're saying an undefeated team from a higher prestige conference will always be ranked ahead of an undefeated team from a lower prestige conference then you're mistaken. It may have an influence on it, but it's not set in stone.

That said though since it has SOME influence on it, it's silly to not have dynamic conference prestige since conference success definitely changes over the years. Why do I have to be locked into a universe where the SEC will always be considered the best conference? That's not realistic and over the course of a long dynasty taints the immersion. Luckily that stat is only one of many and is watered down some.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACardAttack
Not necessarily...say NC State's two losses are both in the ACC...what if FSU (who is in the same division) beats NC State and has either the same or better conference record they would go to the title game, and if VT beats them, FSU drops some and if NC State's losses were early, they would climb the rankings some each week...or even more likely if they lose one non conference and one game to FSU and FSU either has same or better conference record...then FSU goes to the title game
The polls shown are before the bowls. Therefore if 2 teams from the same conference have played 13 games then they both played in their conference championship game.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #47
Rookie

nighttrain32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
Uh, actually where you're ranked determines if you go to the NCG. If you're saying an undefeated team from a higher prestige conference will always be ranked ahead of an undefeated team from a lower prestige conference then you're mistaken. It may have an influence on it, but it's not set in stone.

That said though since it has SOME influence on it, it's silly to not have dynamic conference prestige since conference success definitely changes over the years. Why do I have to be locked into a universe where the SEC will always be considered the best conference? That's not realistic and over the course of a long dynasty taints the immersion. Luckily that stat is only one of many and is watered down some.
Maybe I should have worded it different. Conference Prestige has an affect on rank which affects bowl picking order. I've been in situations where I've been in the Big 12 and beaten 3 top 10 ranked teams around the nation in the first half of the season and then I start to get jumped by SEC and PAC 10 teams in the latter half despite me winning convincingly. In year 18 of my OD, if MIZZOU, ARIZ, TEXAS TECH, FSU and LSU all go undefeated, its about a 99% chance its going to be an LSU/ARIZ championship game.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #48
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
The polls shown are before the bowls. Therefore if 2 teams from the same conference have played 13 games then they both played in their conference championship game.
Aw, completely overlooked the overall record and just looked at losses....definetly a little strange, Id understand the closer rankings if the loser was undefeated entering the championship game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »