Home

Is it possible to have a different approach when playing NCAA?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to have a different approach when playing NCAA? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Stop the Nonsense

fsufan4423's Arena

OVR: 36
Is it possible to have a different approach when playing NCAA?

I ask this question for one reason....

X receiver deep, A receiver slant, y receiver crossing route toward the A receiver, B receiver outside route toward sideline....and flip it around to the other side.

I know I'm not the only person who uses this "strategy" 90% of the time. After taking a 3 yard loss on the first play of the demo, I went straight back to this setup. Is it possible to have a sustained drive using most of the playbook we are giving?

I mean, there's plays I never call because they didn't work five years ago. I know the running game has improved, but the overall approach seems very similar year to year.

When EA decided to tighten up on the screen play, there went half my offense. If anyone has a successful approach to playing this game, please share.

3 national championships 3 Heisman Trophy winners 16 ACC Championships 14 straight AP top fives

2014 BCS National Champions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Is it possible to have a different approach when playing NCAA?

Not completely sure what you're asking, but to have success with a team like FSU you need to establish the run. Once you establish the run you can use PA, screens, etc to move the ball effectively down the field. You don't even necessarily need to run well as long as you make the defense defend it.

In short, mix up your playcalling, use many formations, keep the defense off balance, and make sure they cannot just key on 3 or 4 plays.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan4423
I ask this question for one reason....

X receiver deep, A receiver slant, y receiver crossing route toward the A receiver, B receiver outside route toward sideline....and flip it around to the other side.

I know I'm not the only person who uses this "strategy" 90% of the time. After taking a 3 yard loss on the first play of the demo, I went straight back to this setup. Is it possible to have a sustained drive using most of the playbook we are giving?

I mean, there's plays I never call because they didn't work five years ago. I know the running game has improved, but the overall approach seems very similar year to year.

When EA decided to tighten up on the screen play, there went half my offense. If anyone has a successful approach to playing this game, please share.
I play the game differently than probably most people. I use the 5-wide offense and w/ Custom Playbooks I am really looking forward to what I can do. However, I don't use "cheese" or "guaranteed" plays. I set the sliders to make the game difficult and use my ability to read the defense and know where all my receivers will be on their routes.

I've heard that the new game is much tougher. One guy, who's pretty good from what I've heard, is 0-6 so far and that's just playing on AA. So I welcome the new challenge.

I love the passing game and throw the ball 99% of the time, but I am also a time-of-possession freak and love drives that are 90 yards long and take 15 plays and 6 or 7 minutes off the clock. {I play 10 minute quarters} I am perfectly fine w/ a 3 yard completion... second and seven is better than second and ten or worse. I use short passes to replace a running game and it keeps my D rested.

While this is just one example of how you can play the game differently, I'm sure there are people who run 85% of the time and have success. You need to work on sliders that help make the game the best for you.

It helps if you can read a defense both pre-snap and post snap and know when you have a bad play called and can get out of it. Having the right audibles is key in that regard.

I'm sure you'll see lots of people chiming in here as there are many philosophies when it comes to playing football.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Maybe I'm just narrow-minded, but it seems like the West Coast offense (or some variation of it) has been the best method for almost every team. If you can tell what the defense is running, it's very easy to get RBs open on receiving routes. A fast QB seems to help a short passing offense more than it helps a spread offense.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Rookie

RamblinWreck21's Arena

OVR: 5

I hate how slant routes are just about unstoppable. The new zone D on the demo seems to have helped it a little, but its just frustrating knowing that I ALWAYS have that in my back pocket if I need a first down conversion. With decent sliders it's not TOO bad, but its really annoying when the only way to have the most realistic game possible is to force yourself NOT to call certain plays. I'd rather go 0-12 and have 12 realistic games then go 14-0 and basically know I'm always going to win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
Rookie

KingFrieza's Arena

OVR: 2

I play very different. I refuse to let myself run the same play twice. Not counting running the clock out or a few hail mary's at the very end of the half or game.

I like "old school" football so I run more than I pass. Probably 65% run / 45% pass.

I find it fun to come up with different running strategies to find holes in the defense. Mixing up tosses, stretches, counters, etc...

However in the NCAA12 demo I've felt like the D has done a better job in loading up on the run and plugging up some holes.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFrieza
I play very different. I refuse to let myself run the same play twice. Not counting running the clock out or a few hail mary's at the very end of the half or game.

I like "old school" football so I run more than I pass. Probably 65% run / 45% pass.

I find it fun to come up with different running strategies to find holes in the defense. Mixing up tosses, stretches, counters, etc...

However in the NCAA12 demo I've felt like the D has done a better job in loading up on the run and plugging up some holes.
Talk about giving 110% effort!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFrieza

Thats the method i use except reverse the percentages

Just call me Sanchez

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »