Home

Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

This is a discussion on Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
Pro

OpusX910's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Chess not checkers/Cleats not iceskates. The problem with weight/mass.

Great post OP! I have complained about this for years. As it is now, you can take a guy with all speed and no agility and have virtually no consequence, he'll still turn on a dime.

On a sidenote, does the actual running animations bug the hell out of anybody else? They have looked weird and unnatural for years...
Old 07-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #18
Rookie

pendo's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX910
Great post OP! I have complained about this for years. As it is now, you can take a guy with all speed and no agility and have virtually no consequence, he'll still turn on a dime.

On a sidenote, does the actual running animations bug the hell out of anybody else? They have looked weird and unnatural for years...
The thing i loved about madden 05 was how when you wanted to cut left, you actually had to cut left. You would hit L1 and plant your right foot push off and step the defender, who when over pursued would have to completely lose all momentum and turn around. Nowadays, the defender just does a 180, loses absolutely no speed and will catch the player who has run past in 5 yards.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Of all the problems with the game, this is BY FAR the most glaring. Until they get this aspect of the game right (or at least vastly improved), this series will continue to fall short of where it should be. I was encouraged by the new locomotion system last year because, even though it wasn't implemented very well, I thought it was their first step towards getting realistic player movement back into the game. But when I saw how little they improved upon it this year, it really made me wonder if they are willing to change it. I'm guessing it has something to do with them not wanting to frustrate "casual" players and little kids because their guy doesn't instantly go where they want him to go. But that's real life. Guys running at full speed simply can't make a sharp cut. You can either slow down and make a sharp cut, or you can maintain your speed and round off your turn. But you can't do both.

Back on the PS2, you had to understand angles and really know how to maneuver your player to be successful. That's why I consider this game more of an arcade style of game than a simulation. The physics of how players move is no small detail. As long as it remains this "twitchy" and unrealistic, the gameplay will always have an arcadish feel and fail to replicate the sport to the degree that it should.
Correct. In the PS2 offerings of Madden/NCAA, once you committed to a direction and got a full head of steam that was IT. You weren't just going to "twitch" the stick another direction and instantly move there.

I too am wondering if they're keeping it like that for the "casual" players and kids. If that is the case, I dont see why. The movement was closer to realistic last gen and I'm figuring everyone was fine with it then. So whats the deal now?

Being honest, its really starting to get to me now. Dealing with it for years trying not to be a fairweather fan but its about time they give us the realistic movement back.

Thats the phrase I'm going to use now. Dev team, can you please take the iceskates off of the players and put the cleats back on em. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX910

Definitely. I think I mentioned the running animations in my original post also. The torso has no "swing" to it and there's no sprint animation in the game at all. The players are stuck hunched over the entire time, even at full speed. They had it right last gen. They should correct it now, its about that time.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
G a leaf in the wind
watch as i soar.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #22
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

No offense but if players rolled like boats when trying to make cuts than football would be a boring as hell game to watch. I've seen momentum trigger in the game and be unable to turn due to it, it just doesn't trigger enough and people know how to stop the animation from triggering. It's the physics engine that needs to be looked at, they at this point need to move away from canned animations in order for it to be fixed. If they had it trigger more often on slighter turners there would be more whining that it's harder to run to the outside because the cuts take too long.

It's not as big as a problem as you say but it still is an existing problem. You notice it a lot more online than offline.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Well when guys run to the outside (as far as I can tell) they do not run full speed (hitting the sprint button) until after they turn upfield.

While players don't run like boats they do not run like they do in this game. At full speed you do run more like a boat.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
Banned

I think EA knows about this issue. Will they fix it? Hopefully. I do agree that this is a glaring issue, but since it's been in most of the NCAA's I have played other then one or two of them, I don't notice it as much as some of you Veterans.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »