Home

I'm Extremely Disappointed With VT's Entrance In 12

This is a discussion on I'm Extremely Disappointed With VT's Entrance In 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #73
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: I'm Extremely Disappointed With VT's Entrance In 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangemann
They didn't touch it at all, which is a huge letdown.

Adding Enter Sandman won't even do much because their entrance is so rushed. They show the Hokie Stone touching and then they run out...no buildup or anything. They don't even have the Corps Of Cadets lining the field making a human tunnel for them to run out through.

That's a damn shame, they took the easy way out in one of the best entrances in all of college football.
I agree with this post, even without "enter sandman royalties" they could have still done something with this. Heck even an aerial cutscene of them running out between the crowd formation would have been great. that way we could put in an edited enter sandman ourselves. VT has one of if not THE most exciting entrances in all of sports IMO and this is coming from a die hard texas fan. I remember opening game last year against boise state...THAT was an amaing way to kick off the season. Entrance really had me breaking vases and kicking midgets fellas. Wish EA could have sone at least the run out, even to band music and given us a chance to make it our own. Oh well, wish in one hand and you know what in the other right? Just like I am willing to bet CPU punt logic is still broken along with offensive pass interference, defensive PI, intentional grounding, roughing passer and roughing kicker. CPU never does it because I guess the animation doesnt exist.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #74
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Well you pretty much made my point for me.

We are all paying consumers, I agree, but if they spent the time that would be required to get every schools entrance 100% correct, that would severely impact time spent on other areas of the game that are far more important.

Yes, in a perfect world, every team entrance would be spot on, but it isn't as easy as you seem to think it is, it would take a TON of dev time.

I hate to go to this cliche, and it isn't a knock on you or VT and I really do empathize with your frustration but sometimes life isn't fair.

Hopefully they are able to perfectly replicate the entrances for new schools next year while keeping the current correct ones in place.
for me it's not really about vt's entrance b/c it's what i expect from ea. this is about the details for every school. they can't and shouldn't claim 'if u see it on saturday, u'll see it on the game' b/c it's simply not true for the vast majority of the schools. i know it's not easy, i just wish they were committed to doing the very best instead of the 'oh well, good enough' vibe i get from them.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #75

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROman
for me it's not really about vt's entrance b/c it's what i expect from ea. this is about the details for every school. they can't and shouldn't claim 'if u see it on saturday, u'll see it on the game' b/c it's simply not true for the vast majority of the schools. i know it's not easy, i just wish they were committed to doing the very best instead of the 'oh well, good enough' vibe i get from them.
Fair enough and I appreciate your candor.

My question to you is this though. Pretend you are developing a game and have zero affiliation with any school.

How would you justify sacrificing so much time that could be allocated elsewhere to satisfy fans from every single team?

As a VT fan, you obviously want your entrance to be correct and I can't blame you, but to the same affect, there is a University of New Mexico fan out there that wants theirs perfect as well.

We can't get into the game of what teams are more deserving of a correct entrance because there are far too many variable that come into play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you, but I think viewing this from an objective viewpoint will help you to realize that they can't get every entrance perfect the first year they introduced them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #76
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Fair enough and I appreciate your candor.

My question to you is this though. Pretend you are developing a game and have zero affiliation with any school.

How would you justify sacrificing so much time that could be allocated elsewhere to satisfy fans from every single team?

As a VT fan, you obviously want your entrance to be correct and I can't blame you, but to the same affect, there is a University of New Mexico fan out there that wants theirs perfect as well.

We can't get into the game of what teams are more deserving of a correct entrance because there are far too many variable that come into play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you, but I think viewing this from an objective viewpoint will help you to realize that they can't get every entrance perfect the first year they introduced them.

But theres a huge difference between New Mexico and Virginia Tech, college football wise, especially when it comes to entrance. VT's entrance is very popular, I once watched in on Youtube cause too many people brought it up before.

I could understand where he's coming from to a certain extent, but there are 6 Power conferences in college football, and IMO, I'm not saying you get them all, I'd say you'd get the popular one's in, and VT's entrance, the way the stadium starts rocking, its quite enjoyable and popular.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #77
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king
But theres a huge difference between New Mexico and Virginia Tech, college football wise, especially when it comes to entrance. VT's entrance is very popular, I once watched in on Youtube cause too many people brought it up before.

I could understand where he's coming from to a certain extent, but there are 6 Power conferences in college football, and IMO, I'm not saying you get them all, I'd say you'd get the popular one's in, and VT's entrance, the way the stadium starts rocking, its quite enjoyable and popular.
This is the point most of us are trying to make. I totally would understand if UNC had a "generic" entrance. But why would Va Tech? It's one of the most renowned entrances in football, and that's without bias entering my vision.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #78

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie
This is the point most of us are trying to make. I totally would understand if UNC had a "generic" entrance. But why would Va Tech? It's one of the most renowned entrances in football, and that's without bias entering my vision.
I'm not trying to diminish any teams entrance.

My example of New Mexico was a bad one, the point I was trying to make though is how could the dev team sit down and determine which team's entrance was more important than others.

I don't think there is a simple formula that could be used to decide which teams entrances were done to exact specifications.

It seems they had the resources to do several entrances for a few teams, relatively close entrances for others, and probably generic entrances for teams like New Mexico.

There is no way we could expect them to get every entrance 100% correct in the first year they introduced it (UNM has a unique entrance themselves), I'm asking if you guys would be willing to sacrifice other factions of the game for 120 100% correct entrances.

I'm sorry but I'm not, I'd rather them focus on more important parts of the game and work on entrances over the next couple years...
Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 4

The entrance omissions we've heard of this year aren't a gamekiller by any stretch, but it would be nice if EA took the opportunity to build on their work by adding features on top of the entrances for next year. Perhaps they could give us the ability to "create an entrance" like in the Smackdown series, with choice of animations, music, and video. Creating a custom mascot would be nice for re-creating a fantasy team or I-AA team intro.

If they do that and add some commentary lines (limited though they will likely be) playing over the entrance/intro along with some ESPN stat overlays, that would be sweet indeed.

Do wish they'd given enough time for the "Enter Sandman" intro this year, though. As others have said, maybe next year.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 AM   #80
Rookie

CurryStorm's Arena

OVR: 4

I had a feeling that VT's entrance would be generic for the same reason that my Gamecocks' entrance was going to be generic - the both depend mainly on music. If VT and USC ran out with an animal or rubbed something, their entrances would have been included. But with both depending heavily on the music, which EA doesn't have the rights to, I figured they wouldn't get anything close to their real-life entrances.

The real downer for me, though, are the entrances that they have included. They just are not exciting. I'm not sure if it's the camera angles they use or what, but they are so boring. They're supposed to excite you before the game, not make you want to skip it. It's like they don't know if they want to use the perspective of you being a coach (in the tunnel, running out to thousands of people) or the perspective that you're watching it as a television broadcast (from above the crowd). I think EA, first, needs to decide how they want the player to "feel" the entrance - either make it all like a TV broadcast or keep it all in the tunnel and give you the feeling that you're the coach running out with the team.

Personally, I'd prefer to go with the TV, and for example, South Carolina's would go like this: Have Kirk do their pregame stuff and then just say something like "and now we'll get quiet and just let you listen to the crowd as the Gamecocks are about ready to take the field." Then show an overhead shot of Williams Brice Stadium where the cheerleaders/band have formed the "tunnel." Have the fans "jumping" or at least make it looks like they're jumping/getting excited or whatever Then cut to the players in the tunnel jumping up and down. Then a close up of the 50 where Cocky is in his cage, he busts out of the cage and starts running with the flag guys. Finally go back to the overhead shot and show the team running out, going through the "tunnel" the band has formed and then start playing the band music that EA does have for the team. And as the team is nearing the sideline, cut to a photo of the coach and have Kirk start talking again about the coach with some stat overlays and such.

I think what the entrances lack is a sense of grandeur. You only see about 7 players in a tunnel, 7 fans getting excited and rinse and repeat. You don't get the feeling that the entire stadium is about to erupt. It just doesn't have that e pic sense of scale that you get from watching it on television or actually being there in person. The only way I could think of making the entrances a little more exciting with the way they presently are is to ONLY show them for big games. If you're a Texas fan and it's the same entrance every game, you will get bored after watching it 7 times a year. However, if it's only shown when you play a ranked team or rival, you'll probably less likely to skip it as it's something unique. For that to happen, EA would need to bring back only having announcers for television games and such, but it's an idea.

Last edited by CurryStorm; 07-05-2011 at 03:22 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »