Home

What exactly is "realistic"

This is a discussion on What exactly is "realistic" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
What exactly is \"realistic\"

I encounter this problem every time I come on these forums. Too many people think "realism" means every game should be tight and exciting, etc. Unfortunately, in college football, this isn't always the case. In fact, the top teams in America frequently have games like 66-7, 48-9, 28-9, etc. Ohio State just beat the crap out of a top 20 team without Clarett. They gave up 7 yards rushing! I can guarantee if somebody had this result on NCAA 2004, they would immediately feel like they needed to increase the difficulty or "tweak the sliders."

This is exactly the reason why Madden is more difficult on the default levels. There is more parity.

I haven't used a "slider" in any sports games. I feel like the programmers have developed a good game in the default modes. They don't depend on guys speed rushing with defensive ends, using money plays 10 times per game, doing whatever it takes to manipulate the system.

Realism is in the eyes of the beholder. If you play realistically, the result will be realistic. Don't depend on AI to make it realistic for you.

By the way, I played with Ohio State the other day against Washington, with Clarett, and won 38-20 on AA default. Washington had 28 yards rushing.

And this seemed completely realistic to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
Pac12fan

ochoco's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: What exactly is \"realistic\"

Thats great that everything works for you on default. I wish it did for me but it doesnt. Everyone has different playstyles an different skill levels. To many variables to appease everyone.

They put the sliders in for a reason. It makes the game much more flexible for the different people using it. Dont forget though, as we all know, any team can beat any other on any given day, and just because one team is suppose to stomp the other does not mean they will totally blow them out. Some teams have more class then others and will not run up the score.

I thought Auburn was suppose to handle USC. Instead they got handled. Gotta love college football!
Old 09-02-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm a default guy too. It's not that I don't think that Abner's or anyone else's sliders are good or great, it's just that I think the default settings are fine(except the WR Catching, I did bump that up).

Different people like different things, that's just the way the world is.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think NCAA Football has a realistic feel of college football. I like the way they gave it a college feel and Madden the high speed NFL feel instead of making the game the same.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
Pac12fan

ochoco's Arena

OVR: 12

I agree in that I am glad they are different. I can play NCAA all day long. Madden I get bored after a few games. No clue why, but thats the truth. The whole college atmosphere in NCAA prolly helps. Doesnt have that random music playing and the robotic menus. I cant stand the menus in madden. They are extremely smooth, I just cant stand how they look. I do like madden though, its a nice change after 18 hours of NCAA on a weekend
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2003, 06:24 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

if u don't want to use sliders, then don't use them, the point of this post excapes me
Old 09-02-2003, 11:29 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Realism isn't UW not running the ball once after the first quarter of play. We tweak sliders to get teams to actually play to their attributes. I played a default game with Michigan against CU and CU (known for their ground game ran the ball 6 times the whole game). Barnett is a running guru and loves smashmouth football (check his days back in the Big Ten at Northwestern -- when they were making those Rose Bowl apperances). Granted you're correct about how UW rushed for 28 yards compared to the 7 or so you say in real life, but do you think OSU's defense is that good that they'll go the entire season not giving up more than 250 yards rushing? I just hate it how I see how people think holding power running teams to negative yards rushing and to do it on a week in - week out basis as realistic. In a game with tweaked sliders you could literally get good games from lower-tiered schools. To blow out every top 25 team you face isn't happening either. In fact it really doesn't happen all that often. If you think default is great, happy for you. I on the other hand find default to be complete garbage. That's why the game isn't realistic at the default levels. On JV and Varsity the game is too easy. On AA you could get a good game, but how the stats add up just doesn't suite me and most of the time I'm waxing top 25 teams with cupcakes like Southern Illinois. I'm holding Maurice Clarett to -6 yards on 13 carries with a team that couldn't even beat Baylor or Kansas. Ok, maybe it's a one in a blue moon thing. Nada....I've played that same game SIU vs OSU (in Columbus) like 30 times and each time I beat them 35-3. Clarett doesn't even rush for 15 yards. And OSU, chucks the ball deep 30 times in the first half when they're only down 7-3. Heisman default is the most unrealistic game you could play on all of the default levels. If you think that's realistic then you obviously don't play it realistically. I play vs OSU everytime to test my sliders and I obviously realized that I'm a Heisman level gamer. So I stick strictly on Heisman
Old 09-03-2003, 06:40 AM   #8
G**d S**s*n F*ll*s

airbarrett's Arena

OVR: 15

i think that college football 2004 is very realistic in that anyone can win any day. it shows that two teams could play twice and the score might be 7-0 one time and 63-0 the next time...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »