Home

Coaching Carousel and offensive/defensive schemes

This is a discussion on Coaching Carousel and offensive/defensive schemes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Coaching Carousel and offensive/defensive schemes

So... NCAA 12 brings us:

1. Custom Playbooks (LOVE IT) &
2. Coaching Carousel

So... since there will be HC, OC, DC... I'm curious...

If I'm the Head Coach, how much control do I have? How much can I relinquish? Obviously, when I'm the offensive coordinator, I can do nothing with the defense, but if I become a head coach, can I still let my defensive coordinator coach his defense but have the power to step in and call my own play here and there? Or as a head coach am I forced to pick every play? And as an offensive coordinator, will my playcalling sometimes be overruled by the headcoach? How about on special teams plays?

Playbooks. As an offensive coordinator, am I in complete control of the offensive playbook (since we can now completely build our own playbooks)? As a headcoach, am I in complete control of the playbook, or do my coordinators bring their own playbooks?

And here's a better question, if a coach with a particular playstyle leaves a school and is replaced by a coach with a vastly different style in the coaching carousel, what happens?

Suppose a run-heavy coach like Houston Nutt leaves Ole Miss and goes to Hawai'i (for whatever reason). Does Ole Miss stay run heavy, or can they become more balanced or pass heavy depending on who they replace him with? Does Hawai'i flip from pass heavy to run heavy with Houston Nutt at the helm? Or is the coaching carousel going to be relatively meaningless and the playstyles of the different schools remain relatively unchanged regardless of who coaches them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Coaching Carousel and offensive/defensive schemes

As a coordinator, you have complete control over the plays in your playbook and what is called on offense(if the offensive coordinator) and are also the only recruiter on the team.

As a HC you control everything and your coordinators are basically pointless. You also do not get the ability to hire or fire them.

And your last question. Say a coordinator leaves his school to become a HC. He ran a spread offense, but is replaced by a coordinator who runs the triple option. So, the school he left will now run the triple option and the school he is becoming coach of will now run the spread.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »