Home

I am a high school football coach

This is a discussion on I am a high school football coach within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #57
Rookie

TreyDobbs's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: I am a high school football coach

I think you should implement the Auburn spread offense over the MSU...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #58
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5

There is just sumthin hinky about this...

To the OP, if you are the head coach then you get to do pretty much anything you wanta do BUT, if you are anything less than the HC, you are gonna have to pass anything like this through your boss and I've met very few that would be open to such a unique 'teaching' approach.

You should know you have GOT to get some cred with the young men but you HAVE to have above all else their respect. Although it sounds nice to have the skill positions come to the field house or to your house to play NCAA...remember they all will need to get permission from parents. How will dad and mom feel about this?

And how will the other coaches respond? Someone on the staff will be an old school ball breaker and this approach will cause schisms to form on the staff and in the locker-room.

Finally, at least half of your players will own NCAA 10-11-12...and there is a least a chance one of the students at the HS you are at will be a member of this forum and be following this thread...you know the geek that will hear the new coach of the football team is teaching his players out of a video game! The rumor mill would be relentless after that. Just seems to me thats just a chance a new coach couldn't take.

Now winning has a way of fixing everything but with this as one of the first steps you take as a coach...lose one of your first three games and the parents will be clamoring for your head...win them all and get the OC job at Auburn in three years.

Good luck but I couldn't support such an endeavor...
Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #59
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Kirby
this will be my first year of coaching high school football and I am going to use NCAA 12 to have my players learn my playbook. Perhaps some of you can offer up your best systems? I am a fan of the Mississippi State style of Spread. I'm thinking of mixing in some power sets (wishbone, power I, Maryland I, etc.) for short yardage situations. We will be a no huddle offense. My defense is not complex at all. I'm going to rush 6 80% of the time and only drop into zone on 3rd and 8 or more. I have been a fan of the NCAA series for several years now.

A little history on the team I am taking over. We are a 3A school in Alabama. Our last winning season was 1987 (6-5). That was also the last year the program made the state playoffs. The school is 90% white. I want to make it fun for the guys.

We are not allowed to start practice until August but we can do some 7-on-7 tournaments and I plan on having some NCAA tournaments at my home. Some of the kids do not have game systems and that is a problem I am currently trying to work out. I have met with most of the players parents and have informed them of my plan. I have several fund raising ideas in the works (car washes, lawn mowings, etc.) to try and raise some money and I am trying to start a booster club. Yes, you read that correctly. This team does not even have a booster club!

It is not going to be easy but with some hard work we will turn this program around. I have been a reader here for quite some time and there are some good football minds here. I am looking for any help I can get so please throw some ideas at me.

Thanks

Coach Kirby
sir i am a big video game fan i am in Arkansas my Advice is keep it simple kids have so much on their plate these days i hung out with the HS Football coaches in my high school am a football junkie being in Alabama u need to try everything to stand out keep it simple foucs on their grades too
Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #60
Rookie

Vortex12's Arena

OVR: 0

Keep it simple. You don't need many plays if you can't run them correctly. I play football, and I have no problem memorizing things, but I have friends that do.

If you are running a spread option type of system similar to the Mississippi State style, Auburn Style, Oregon style, etc. the most important plays that I can think of in that offense are the Zone-Read (Read Option) and the bubble screen. I've played corner against teams that run the spread option and it can be a tough cover if they have a good quarterback. You CANNOT run the spread without a good quarterback. The bubble screen by the Z receiver with the X running a slant that can end up with him crack back blocking a linebacker is a great weapon if done correctly.

I noticed you said you were thinking of converting a WR to QB, I would not run a system with a lot of pass plays unless he is a good passer as well, but since he wasn't a QB in the past I don't know. A flexbone system can mask weaknesses and cause the defense to get confused.

Just my two cents. I would not use NCAA 12. Just use the chalkboard a lot, maybe print out a basic playbook for everybody, and get out on the field and run the plays.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #61
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

Yeah, my high school used a Wishbone offense and I really think they had about a dozen plays. Defense I'm not sure, but it wasn't too complex, from what I saw.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 3

No offense, but I feel sorry for your kids.

Here are some real playbooks for free:

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/?page_id=13

Scroll down for HS.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #63
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN - BRAVES FAN
Watch starting at 1:20
The thing is, that when you get to the college level, you pretty much have the basic techniques down. At the high school level, most of your players still need to be taught things that a video game can't replicate.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 2

Coach Kirby,

I am an offensive coordinator at a 4A high school in the North Texas area. It is my belief that you can get the most out of your kids by running as few plays as possible. You don't need tons of different formations and schemes, you need to get good at what you do.

If you are going to be a no-huddle team (we are as well), then there's a few things you need to understand:

1. Your defense is going to give up points. They are going to be on the field A LOT. Whether you go 3 and out or score in less than two minutes, they are going to be on the field a lot. Sometimes, you have to play that way to win, but you can't get frustrated when they are tired late in ball games. You'd better get them in shape.

2. We also are a no-huddle team but feel we can control the clock with the run game. We have three run schemes for the O-Line: Zone, Power, and Counter. That's it. We have tags off of those plays, but the O-Line (most important people on your offense) don't need to know what those are. In fact, we could get by with just running zone and power.

3. Keep your passing game simple as well. We have 2 quicks, 2 dropbacks, and 2 playactions. - that's 6 (probably the limit, IMO). That's three different pass Pro schemes for the O-Line. Focus on the details of your receivers running routes, and how to win (get open) vs. soft man, press, cover 2, etc.

4. This may seem over simplified, but we made it to the state quarterfinals in one the biggest classifications in the nation by being simple and "Doing what we do"

You don't need some playbook off of a video game. You need to focus on details. If you are going to play 7on7, then be a spread team, so you can practice what you will do in the fall.

On defense, play your BASE DEFENSE AND GET GOOD AT TECHNIQUE. You won't regret it.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »