Home

Wow! Looks like the Triple Option doesn't work again!

This is a discussion on Wow! Looks like the Triple Option doesn't work again! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Pro

Cj7298419's Arena

OVR: 8
Wow! Looks like the Triple Option doesn't work again!

Was just looking at a vid that was posted on TheGamingTailgate

Noticed right off the bat how Georgia Tech's Triple Option offense couldn't do anything. Especially when the QB decided to keep the ball himself to run outside with the halfback.

I just hope EA patches this some kind of way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Rookie

usc50's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Wow! Looks like the Triple Option doesn't work again!

The main problem for when the QB tries to keep it looks like the FB just runs the fake into the OL's back and allows the defender that he's supposed to block to just go straight to the QB. And the few times he did get that guy seemed to only be on plays where the entire OL was overwhelmed so it didn't even matter.

I will say however that to me, there really isn't enough in that video to prove that the triple option is ineffective in this game. Not saying it works properly, but I would like to see more than around 10 or so plays of it.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Pretty sad if you ask me. Had an entire year to fix a widely known problem and failed. Is it really that hard to program an effective option running game?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

THis looks like an online ranked match, is that what it is?

This is kinda a shame. I don't know how they can fix this without making it overpowered, it just seems like anytime you don't give the ball to the FB it takes too long to get moving out of the backfield, you are getting tackled right away

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc50
The main problem for when the QB tries to keep it looks like the FB just runs the fake into the OL's back and allows the defender that he's supposed to block to just go straight to the QB. And the few times he did get that guy seemed to only be on plays where the entire OL was overwhelmed so it didn't even matter.

I will say however that to me, there really isn't enough in that video to prove that the triple option is ineffective in this game. Not saying it works properly, but I would like to see more than around 10 or so plays of it.
The fullback isn't supposed to block anyone. He is generally supposed to be an option to get the ball or be a decoy. Its funny, because the gun who was getting stuffed on the option is the same guy in the Air Force vs Notre Dame that was ripping ND apart with it.

Other videos I've watched featuring HUM vs CPU, the HUM player has had success. Even the CPU has had a little success in limited video(Navy vs Army) First video of HUM vs HUM that I've seen
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

I think the problem is that not a single defender is fooled by the fake hand off to the FB. They're going straight to the real ball carrier every single time.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
MVP

RahKhem's Arena

OVR: 11

Main issues seem to be an inability to recognize that the outside linebacker is the read person in a 3-4, and the mesh point happens a bit too slowly as well. I'm not really sure what can be done about the second point, because then people would complain that they can't make a proper read. First point should be a bit easier to fix, but what do I know.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
mre
Rookie

mre's Arena

OVR: 0

I think Georgia Tech's triple option did really well last year when the games were simmed. They beat Alabama two years in a row in my dynasty.

Guess the gameplay doesn't actually reflect that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »