Home

My PS3 keeps shutting itself off...

This is a discussion on My PS3 keeps shutting itself off... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: My PS3 keeps shutting itself off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
I have had this happen a few times. Found a guy who fixes it. He does the first fix for $40 and offers a lifetime guarantee, so he has had it back twice. He says the main issue is heat, so try to keep a fan on it while you are playing.

Look in your local Kijiji for people who fix PS3's, it is apparently a pretty simple fix.

I plan on buying a new one anyway, but have a few trips planned so I don't want to replace just yet and I have squeezed another 8 months out of my PS3 fat 60GB.
Do you have a link for the guy who fixes? I appreciate it.

I have no idea what Kijiji is. Don't think those have migrated down to Mississippi yet. lol
Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22

Yeah your Ps3 is ready to croak, be sure to stand by it and comfort it, maybe take it on a nice walk or a 10-15 mins(since that's all you get) of your favorite game. Let it enjoy its last days. It needs you more than you need it.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
It's not likely to be the game's fault, if that's what you're worrying about.
Not likely, but not unheard of. There is/was (might have been patched) an issue with the way Fight Night Champion saved files that was causing PS3 shutdowns.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...i-believe.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro Mask
I bought FNC on release day and played it without problem for about a week. Then I had a shutdown in the middle of a fight that left the power light on my PS3 blinking. Google taught me that the blinking light indicated the system had overheated and shutdown. It hadn't been on for very long at the time, but system was close to 2 years old and has many, many hours of use. I let the PS3 cool down, vacuumed it out and tried again. I played for a little while before it shutdown again. I manged to play sparingly for a week or so before another shutdown.

So I figured that system was just about done for and decided to buy another one. I wanted to do the data transfer, so I didn't trade the old system in.

I bought a new PS3 today and did the data transfer. After I got everything setup, I went back to FNC. I had been playing for a little over an hour when the system shutdown in the middle of a fight. This PS3 has less than 5 hours of use.
NCAA is way more popular than FNC so I'd guess there would be threads all over the place if this was an issue. So, like bcruise said, it's not likely to be the problem.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Let me run this by you all then. If I go in and just do roster edits etc, it never revs up or makes noise. Sometimes if I go straight in and play a game it gets really loud like it's straining. Is this just because it has to do more work during a game??? Sorry, I'm an idiot.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #21
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Let me run this by you all then. If I go in and just do roster edits etc, it never revs up or makes noise. Sometimes if I go straight in and play a game it gets really loud like it's straining. Is this just because it has to do more work during a game??? Sorry, I'm an idiot.
Yep that is exactly why it's not as loud when you are in the menus. Once you start playing a game the ps3 has to use a ton more power in order to play the game. When I play The Show this happens. By the 3rd or 4th inning it starts to get loud. Although, I have kept my AC on in my room lately and it hardly makes any noise anymore. I have made it through many games of The Show this summer without the PS3 acting up.

My suggestion would be to put the ps3 on two soup cans (like suggested by someone else earlier), vacum the ventilation holes on a low setting, and then make sure the room you are playing in is cool. Vacuming the PS3 may be really good for yours since you said you hadn't used it much over the past couple months.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 07-15-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Cool, not sure how or what to vacuum.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #23
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Cool, not sure how or what to vacuum.
Just use any ordinary household vacum. Take off the part used for vacuming carpet and bare floors so that you just have the handle of the vacum. Make sure you turn it on the lowest setting. If you put it on a high setting it can move around parts on the inside of the PS3. Then just put the sucking part of the handle on all of the ventilation holes on the ps3. There are some in the back, bottom, and on the right side (if the ps3 is laying flat). That is all. There are videos on youtube on how to do it. It's very easy because you don't have to take your ps3 out or anything. If I'm not mistaken the PS3 manual actually says to vacum out the ps3 to clean it.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »