Home

Promotion/Relegation? Pogo's custom conferences for NCAA12

This is a discussion on Promotion/Relegation? Pogo's custom conferences for NCAA12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #33
Rookie

ajaxab's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Promotion/Relegation? Pogo's custom conferences for NCAA12

I'm doing something similar but not basing my setup on geography.

I started from the rankings and created 4 tiers. The top tier is made up of 2 16 team conferences. Initially, this tier has the best 32 teams in the game. The second tier is made up of 4 12 team conferences. These are the next best 48 teams. Tier 3 is made up of 4 7 team conferences. The fourth tier is 1 10 team conference.

As far as who goes up and who goes down, the worst 4 teams from each conference in tier 1 go down. They get replaced by the conference winners and conference runners up in tier 2. The worst 2 teams in each conference tier 2 go down. They get replaced by the conference winners and runners up in tier 3. The worst teams in tier 3 go down to get replaced by the best four teams in the lone tier 4 conference.

The only problem I've run into so far is with bowl tie-ins. I wish they could all be changed, but only the BCS bowls can be changed. So I have the BCS title game for the conference winners in tier 1 and at large spots for the remaining BCS bowls. The one advantage to the at large system is that it allows for teams in tiers 2-4 to have a chance at a BCS bowl if they destroy their comparatively poorer competition. But I still wish I could assign the 3rd place team in a tier one conference to a BCS bowl and that isn't happening as it stands.

I've simmed through 3 seasons so far and seen Michigan St drop down 2 tiers and Houston go up 2 tiers. No one has gone all the way down or all the way up, but Florida Atlantic could be on their way after climbing into tier 2 this season from tier 4.

One concern I have is that I've heard that there is a 255 team swap limit. If this is true, it destroys my system with all its movement. I don't know if that's 255 per user or 255 per dynasty, but if I've got 25+ swaps per season, I don't have a whole lot of years for a career.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #34
Rookie

frnkpw13's Arena

OVR: 1

now that im thinking about it, i might have it to where a feeder conference champion can only move up to the "main" conference if they have 4/5 star prestige and the team being swapped out from the main has to be 3 star or lower. so maybe not every year a feeder team might be swapped out.
National Champions 1958, 2003, 2007, 2019

Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkpw13
now that im thinking about it, i might have it to where a feeder conference champion can only move up to the "main" conference if they have 4/5 star prestige and the team being swapped out from the main has to be 3 star or lower. so maybe not every year a feeder team might be swapped out.
I don't like this. It protects the high prestige teams too much and prevents them from dropping off. Being in the higher conference gives them better recruiting edge, and they get into a better bowl to make sure they're maintaining their prestige.

The whole point of the system is to remove the walls that prevent the less prestigious schools who put a good product on the field from progressing.

I mean, it's your dynasty, so do what you want, but if you're not promoting/relegating every season, it's essentially the status quo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #36
Rookie

jaytay10's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
I don't like this. It protects the high prestige teams too much and prevents them from dropping off. Being in the higher conference gives them better recruiting edge, and they get into a better bowl to make sure they're maintaining their prestige.

The whole point of the system is to remove the walls that prevent the less prestigious schools who put a good product on the field from progressing.

I mean, it's your dynasty, so do what you want, but if you're not promoting/relegating every season, it's essentially the status quo.
I agree with Pogo here. It protects the top teams too much. I don't think their prestige will ever drop too much or the others will go up enough if not given the chance. If you do it though let us know how it works out. I am curious.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytay10
I agree with Pogo here. It protects the top teams too much. I don't think their prestige will ever drop too much or the others will go up enough if not given the chance. If you do it though let us know how it works out. I am curious.
Well... from experience in previous years games, it takes a lot for schools to gain and lose prestige stars.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #38
Rookie

pistonica's Arena

OVR: 4

And if let's say in a conference there would be a tie..the direct match between them will be concludent...the team who one the match directly has priority...it's like in european footbal...But i don't know how to set the bowl tie-ins...wich conference champions to put together?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #39
Rookie

jaytay10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonica
And if let's say in a conference there would be a tie..the direct match between them will be concludent...the team who one the match directly has priority...it's like in european footbal...But i don't know how to set the bowl tie-ins...wich conference champions to put together?
The first year guess as best you can. Then after that seed the conferences and align them that way. That might work. The guy with the idea for a 4 tiered approach had a great idea because that solves the issue of a champion right there. Built in playoffs really. I really need to think this out now.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #40
Rookie

jaytay10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxab
I'm doing something similar but not basing my setup on geography.

I started from the rankings and created 4 tiers. The top tier is made up of 2 16 team conferences. Initially, this tier has the best 32 teams in the game. The second tier is made up of 4 12 team conferences. These are the next best 48 teams. Tier 3 is made up of 4 7 team conferences. The fourth tier is 1 10 team conference.

As far as who goes up and who goes down, the worst 4 teams from each conference in tier 1 go down. They get replaced by the conference winners and conference runners up in tier 2. The worst 2 teams in each conference tier 2 go down. They get replaced by the conference winners and runners up in tier 3. The worst teams in tier 3 go down to get replaced by the best four teams in the lone tier 4 conference.

The only problem I've run into so far is with bowl tie-ins. I wish they could all be changed, but only the BCS bowls can be changed. So I have the BCS title game for the conference winners in tier 1 and at large spots for the remaining BCS bowls. The one advantage to the at large system is that it allows for teams in tiers 2-4 to have a chance at a BCS bowl if they destroy their comparatively poorer competition. But I still wish I could assign the 3rd place team in a tier one conference to a BCS bowl and that isn't happening as it stands.

I've simmed through 3 seasons so far and seen Michigan St drop down 2 tiers and Houston go up 2 tiers. No one has gone all the way down or all the way up, but Florida Atlantic could be on their way after climbing into tier 2 this season from tier 4.

One concern I have is that I've heard that there is a 255 team swap limit. If this is true, it destroys my system with all its movement. I don't know if that's 255 per user or 255 per dynasty, but if I've got 25+ swaps per season, I don't have a whole lot of years for a career.
Where did you hear about the 255 team swap limit. I am interested in this now. I might have to research it. I hope that isn't true.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »