Home

Defense!!! Need Help!!!

This is a discussion on Defense!!! Need Help!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Rookie

scfan919's Arena

OVR: 4
Defense!!! Need Help!!!

I need help on defense. I can't seem to stop any kind of short pass over the middle, idk what I'm doing wrong but it seems like no matter what I do i can't stop it. Thanks!
R.I.P. Kenny McKinley #11 Forever Eleven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Defense!!! Need Help!!!

What Base Defense are you using...are you using Man or Zone Coverage...are you sending LB's on a blitz? What team are you using?

Need alot more information before anyone can help you bud.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

What plays are you normally running? Cover two is designed to stop short and intermediate passes with linebackers picking up the middle (yellow circles) zones.

As it stands now, we need more information...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Rookie

scfan919's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm playing as South Carolina. I run a base 4-2-5 and typically run cover two/cover two man on plays where I suspect a short pass. I'll usually press my corners if i choose to blitz on the play.
R.I.P. Kenny McKinley #11 Forever Eleven
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

How often are you pressuring/blitzing the QB? Sometimes playing man coverage straight up can help alleviate this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

I pinch some of the LB's to the middle as I am looking to stop it...I also look at some of the plays that make zone cover those areas.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Rookie

slingstone's Arena

OVR: 0

Dude, cover 2 is vulnerable over the middle. The classic way to beat cover 2 is to send a TE straight up the middle between the split safeties. Furthermore, linebackers are a poor match-up against either slot receivers or TE's on drag or crossing routes.

I'm running Carolina on a base 4-3. Wrong, I know, but it brings in an extra linebacker and lets Antonio Allen, who's listed as a LB in this game, do his coverage thing. I think he's on the left and Quin Smith (#24) is on the right, with Rodney Paulk (#45) holding the middle.

I also recommend that you mix up your coverages. Throw in some cover three and full man plays to keep folks (or the AI) from figuring you out. As I've said to others, the zone blitz is your friend. Use it sparingly, but use it in the right situation and you can have some fantastic results.

Does the base 4-2-5 have the 1-5-5 nickel? Use THAT. It's fantastic against wide sets and does surprising things against the run. Think of it as a funky 3-4 with extra linebackers and only Travian Robertson as a down lineman.

Anyways, that's what I do. I stop the run with my schemes, and bend, but don't break against the pass. 'Course, I don't play online, but I think the principles should be sound. Just adjust as needed if you need to defeat player exploits. Others can tell you more about that.

Last edited by slingstone; 07-16-2011 at 09:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »