Home

Playing on a 3:4 TV, Can't See Sidelines Pre Snap

This is a discussion on Playing on a 3:4 TV, Can't See Sidelines Pre Snap within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Rookie

BigBlue10989's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Playing on a 3:4 TV, Can't See Sidelines Pre Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Wrong......

Plasma are superior to LCD for gaming. Image retention is not burn in and pixel orbiter and scrolling bars reduce the IR and also it goes away after a bit.

I have a Panny and Samsung plasma and the longest IR happened was about 5 minutes and then it was gone.

Input lag is not overrated if you are a serious gamer who like playing online FPS. I do not know where you got the info that input lag is overrated.

I had last years LED samsung and if you do not put game mode on then it was unplayable. That is the case for most LCD or LED sets today. Game Mode has gotten better in terms of allowing pq tweaks unlike other years.

This years Sammy and Panny plasmas have little input lag in non game mode and game mode and PQ in Game Mode in both is very good because you can tweak most settings.

But please do not say that input lag is overrated because it is NOT and motion blur on an LCD or LED is horrible compared to a plasma.
If you go on popular TV forums, it is very clear that image retention and even burn-in are still problems with plasma display panels.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by waytofailself
Yes, I am one of those people with an older TV who cannot upgrade at this time. Fortunately, my TV is new enough that I can enjoy the game in glorious 480p!

But passing is pretty frustrating because pre snap and during the play I cannot see the sidelines. Even when using the coach cam, I still have to kind of guess at where defenders are and players are (well, not entirely guess at, generally I can tell what the coverage is shortly into the play). Still, from the way I'm playing it on my TV it is like two parts of the image are lopped off: the far left and the far right.

I have yet to find in any settings menu how to adjust the game to play on a 3:4 set. I would love to be able to zoom out the camera enough to make it work (that's generally my 2k BBall solution). Can any of you all help me out?
First of all it's a 4:3 TV, then you should set it so to output the xbox 360 source in letterboxed mode, so you're gonna get a 16:9 image between two black bars.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Wrong......

Plasma are superior to LCD for gaming. Image retention is not burn in and pixel orbiter and scrolling bars reduce the IR and also it goes away after a bit.

I have a Panny and Samsung plasma and the longest IR happened was about 5 minutes and then it was gone.

Input lag is not overrated if you are a serious gamer who like playing online FPS. I do not know where you got the info that input lag is overrated.

I had last years LED samsung and if you do not put game mode on then it was unplayable. That is the case for most LCD or LED sets today. Game Mode has gotten better in terms of allowing pq tweaks unlike other years.

This years Sammy and Panny plasmas have little input lag in non game mode and game mode and PQ in Game Mode in both is very good because you can tweak most settings.

But please do not say that input lag is overrated because it is NOT and motion blur on an LCD or LED is horrible compared to a plasma.
Sorry but you're wrong and fantasy sportsguy is right. Like him, I'm a huge home theatre nut and have used all manner of monitors. Any modern LCD is crisp and clear, with no motion blur and imperceptible input lag. Some TVs add various image processing which can slow things down, but it's easy enough to turn that off (usually what GAME mode essentially does). Plasma is a dinosaur at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue10989
If you go on popular TV forums, it is very clear that image retention and even burn-in are still problems with plasma display panels.
Trust me, I am a member on HDJ and AVS

Go find me one that says they got burn in on 2011 models......

IR is not burn in and goes away. Only if you decide to leave a static image and go on vacation with the tv on will you ever mess up the tv.

A smart person does not get Burn in and IR can be handled easily. (Non issue)
Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Wrong......

1. I never said IR was burn-in, in fact, I said burn-in was mostly a thing of the past.
2. Yes, aggressive pixel orbiting can reduce IR, I never said it didn't. All I said was that a screen wiping program on the unit (which Panasonic thankfully puts in) helps prevent it and knocks it out often times in one use.
3. I never claimed Plasma's werent better for gaming, I just cautioned that people need to be careful about recommending them to just anyone, because there is some additional diligence and care that has to be exercised when doing extensive gaming on one.
4. Your experience with "5 minute IR" is atypical and if you search any thread at AVS that talks about IR, you will see that often times people will experience weeks worth of IR before it goes away. You need to be careful here.
5. Calling gaming on an LCD or LED-LCD "unplayable" is an insult to peoples intelligences. I would imagine most people in here game on those panels, heck, the TV in my wife and I's bedroom is a 32" Samsung Series 6, that is LED backlit and games perfectly fine on the custom settings I have it on. No "game mode" required.
6. It is very much overrated and I know what I am talking about. You're not talking to a Wal-Mart electronics employee or a Best Buy monkey, this is a hobby of mine and something I have been involved with since the late '80's.

I'll leave you with a quote from "frito" at AVS, who has a great thread on LCD input lag. This sums it up quite well.

Quote:
Generally most People cannot see or feel a difference of less than 30ms roughly 2 frames, some say they can but they are the rare few and likely younger people
Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
Sorry but you're wrong and fantasy sportsguy is right. Like him, I'm a huge home theatre nut and have used all manner of monitors. Any modern LCD is crisp and clear, with no motion blur and imperceptible input lag. Some TVs add various image processing which can slow things down, but it's easy enough to turn that off (usually what GAME mode essentially does). Plasma is a dinosaur at this point.
Comical.

Go see which tv's are rated the highest by so called experts. I bet you will not find an LED or LCD in the top 3

Go look at sale figures this year with Plasmas and tell me that they are dinosaurs.

I own plasmas and lcd tv's I am an avid video and audiophile

LCD has input lag and nobody can debate that
Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
Rookie

Colt45's Arena

I have an LCD TV and have 0 lag. My friend has an older LCD TV (better brand and smaller, even, but it is ~3 years older than mine) and there is definitely a lag.

Though I don't believe I've ever been able to see the sidelines on any football game, on a regular TV or my HD set. Is there a different camera that shows the whole field?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
Actually Plasma sales are on the upswing and a lot of the reason is because of the performance/picture quality/price ratio. I still think for movies they offer the best and most accurate picture and do so without having to rely on 120/240hz refresh rate tricks, to do so.

Thank you for your comments though I worry we might be straying into off-topic land at this point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »