Home

Time Of Possession Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Time Of Possession Discussion Thread within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Time Of Possession Discussion Thread

Like has been said and repeated, it's the CPU snapping the ball too early, the clock not starting until the offensive team is lined up, and the fact that nearly every team is running no huddle. It's annoying the piss out of me. I was up 11 points as a DC in my first Dynasty game early in the 4th... the offense (I was watching all their plays) was snapping the ball with 20+ seconds on the clock and running no huddle. I ended up LOSING the game in 3OT (mainly due to a bug where the team that went first in the 3OT, also got to go second, WTF?).
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Firdt off, the game is designed and based around the five minute quarter. This is why when you play any other quarter length the, everything starts to feel off.

In my opinion they need to get rid of the option for Quarter lengths and replace it with 4 different presets all with different Strategic AIs so they manage the clock differently.

Ie 5 minute -what we have now
8 minute - Snap the ball with 20-25 on playclock
10 minute - Snap ball with 15-20 on playclock
15 minute - Snap ball with 10 or less second on clock

As I typed that I realized a Madden-esque accelerated clock does exactly that. Accelerated Clock please!

As for supersim, I like the idea of doubling play length. True it is not accurate, but it is a simple fix that would make the game better.
That makes alot of sense, never thought about the 5 min quarters thing, I haven't played 5 min quarters against the AI since the Sega days

Accl clock should be used to simulate the time for subs, getting in and out the huddle, etc..

I still will like to see the AI make adjustments at the LOS.

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jukeman; 07-14-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
That makes alot of sense, never thought about the 5 min quarters thing, I haven't played 5 min quarters against the AI since the Sega days

Accl clock should be used to simulate the time for subs, getting in and out the huddle, etc..

I still will like to see the AI make adjustments at the LOS.

Good point. 5 minute quarters were necessary back in the Sega days because they hadn't thought of the accelerated clock yet. 5 minute quarters let people play a game in a short period of time. EA still seems to be designing everything around 5 minute quarters. 5 minute quarters should be obsolete with accelerated clock and supersim. If the clock issues were fixed with 15 minute quarters in mind, you should be able to play a full 15 minute quarter game in about 40 minutes. Even less if you decide to supersim the end of a blow-out. Shorter quarters should just be an option for people who just want a quick game.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #20
Rookie

CJManis10's Arena

OVR: 0

JoeHaden5 made a post on TGT and got some very interesting results that need to be fixed..

"Here is what I've found. I played as the head coach of Alabama and scheduled Oregon for my first game. I played every snap on both sides of the ball and noted how many possessions each team got. I am partial to the run so I tried to control the clock, knowing how potent Oregon's offense can be. With the exception of one or two drives, I didn't have any drives longer than four minutes or thereabout. I had a pretty good game on defense and held Oregon to roughly 5-8 plays per possession and 20 points total. The total number of offensive possessions for me was 11. The total number of offensive possessions for Oregon was 10, with the final score being 31-20.

I then started another dynasty as the defensive coordinator of Alabama and, again, scheduled Oregon for my first game. Again, I played fairly well on defense, however, there was a LARGE discrepancy in the number of possessions for our opponent. This time, Oregon amassed 21 offensive possessions. Even though my defense played fairly well, this time I have up 34 points and roughly 150 more yards to them.

Disturbing."
Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #21
Rookie

I can't understand why EA would develop all of these sim-style game modes built around 5 minute quarters. PC football games from the 1990s effectively dealth with clock management. If people want to play quic 5 minute quarters online or against friends, that should be an option. It should not be the basis for developing dynasty and CC modes. People who play those modes are clearly looking for a more realistic experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2727
I can't understand why EA would develop all of these sim-style game modes built around 5 minute quarters. PC football games from the 1990s effectively dealth with clock management. If people want to play quic 5 minute quarters online or against friends, that should be an option. It should not be the basis for developing dynasty and CC modes. People who play those modes are clearly looking for a more realistic experience.
They should use what NHL 12 are going to be using (that game always get the good stuff first lol)

Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
They should use what NHL 12 are going to be using (that game always get the good stuff first lol)

I've never played NHL. What are they using?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #24
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2727
I've never played NHL. What are they using?
They are featuring an advance "super sim" feature for their be a GM mode

From what I've read, it's suppose to be similar to text base sim engine games...

http://www.ea.com/nhl/blog/be-a-gm-improvments

http://www.ea.com/nhl/blog/nhl-12-sim-engine-blog

Last edited by Jukeman; 07-14-2011 at 07:19 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »