Home

Gameplay without sliders

This is a discussion on Gameplay without sliders within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Gameplay without sliders

I feel like using sliders is like cheating. For example, if I need to run the ball better, the easy way is to just bump the run blocking slider but that's like cheating the system. I would rather learn how to play, master, and win the game as is without slider cheats.

As for freezing, yes, the game has frozen on me a few times and that SUCKS.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbins
I feel like using sliders is like cheating. For example, if I need to run the ball better, the easy way is to just bump the run blocking slider but that's like cheating the system. I would rather learn how to play, master, and win the game as is without slider cheats.

I don't consider sliders as "cheats". I consider them very important to the gameplay. Without sliders, Heisman would be nearly impossible for some people, like myself. However, certain aspects of All American are always going to be too easy. With the use of the sliders, I can make an All-American Plus difficulty and the game plays perfectly.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

The problem for me is that my biggest gripes with the gameplay can't be fixed with sliders. Things like foot planting, "hummingbird" player movement, motion shifting DBs, OL/DL Interactions, and lack of aggressiveness on the WRs part are simply a part of the game. You can affect some of these things with sliders, but it's just a band-aid on a bullet wound.

That being said, don't ever think of changing sliders as cheating. Get the game playing the way you want. I don't think anyone would argue the fact that this game is no where close to being 100% realistic out of the box. So what's the harm in trying to improve it with slider adjustments?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

So you want to punch us in the face because we can use the tools included in the game to make it a wonderful game playing experience for us?

Give me a break dude.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Rookie

TimLawNYC's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbins

But you can also make the game much, much more difficult with sliders--if you're dominating the CPU's running game with your defense, you can adjust it so that the CPU is better at rushing and blocking. The point is that YOU get to customize it to the way YOU want to play. If you want to make everything super easy so you're winning every game 84-0 and you win the NC every year, you can do that (or just play on JV). If you want to make the game harder in some respects (e.g. you think passing feels just right but rushing is too easy for you), you can adjust accordingly).

One popular school of thought around here is that Varsity is the most realistic difficulty setting, in that it removes a lot of the CPU "cheats" and psychic AI that you see on the harder difficulty levels. But many of us are too skilled at the game to get any sort of challenge on default Varsity. Using a well-balanced set of sliders, we can keep the realistic feel of Varsity but add a great deal of challenge. In NCAA 11, I won a lot more games playing default Heisman than I did after I switched to a great set of "Varsity" sliders that actually made the game more difficult but took away a lot of the "cheating" elements so that when I lost I felt like I got outplayed, not cheated out of a win. It made a ton of difference to my enjoyment of the game, and it wouldn't have been possible without sliders.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

I've always been hesitant to use sliders because I want to avoid falling into the trap of tweaking sliders more than actually playing the game and I also want the players' ratings to determine the difficulty rather than the slider settings. But I think this year it's unavoidable. Along with the superhuman linebackers the CPU cannot mount any kind of ground game against me on AA. The CPU yards per carry is actually higher when I play on varsity which makes no sense.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

i think honestly the game plays pretty good even without sliders bu there are a few things sliders could help with gameplay but for the most part default is not real bad considering the past so if you want to use sliders then use sliders if you dont then dont that simple but i love this game and has me excited for madden but yall should check monday verzus is coming out with his sliders monday i heard and in my opinion i think he is the best at making sliders
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

I find sliders to be a necessary evil. Once you start working them, you will constantly tweak them when something doesn't start going your way because you feel that you set it wrong. I need to start working some because I've rarely found a set of sliders that actually work for me, though I might give some a try as I found Heisman somewhat enjoyable last night. Some things happened that I thought shouldn't have, but at the same time, the end result was what I expected.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »