Home

VERY picky point

This is a discussion on VERY picky point within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Rookie

SammyC14's Arena

OVR: 0
VERY picky point

So I've thought of this now for about the last few years when it comes to NCAA. And I hate it when ex players get on here and try to incorporate the fact that at one time they played football in high school or walked on in college or this and that but...I only am making the point as proof that if it's in the game, it needs to be in the game.

I played college ball and played on a team where all seniors were captain, every week we rotated. When winning the coin flip the speaking captain is always asked if you want the ball or DEFER to the second half. If the team says they want to start on D, they have decided that they are forgoing their option to receive the ball at either half. When you choose to defer, the speaking Captain then speaks with the referees at halftime to tell them that they want to receive the ball in the second half.

It is obviously very apparent what each team wants to do, but that is how it goes. I've seen other teams say the wrong thing and have to kick off to start both halves.

Just something very very small but is technically something that makes it more realistic.

I probably alone on this but hope some of you see my point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Pro

BhamTiger's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: VERY picky point

Actually I'm wondering if we can choose captains? I think I missed that somewhere...
Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC14
So I've thought of this now for about the last few years when it comes to NCAA. And I hate it when ex players get on here and try to incorporate the fact that at one time they played football in high school or walked on in college or this and that but...I only am making the point as proof that if it's in the game, it needs to be in the game.

I played college ball and played on a team where all seniors were captain, every week we rotated. When winning the coin flip the speaking captain is always asked if you want the ball or DEFER to the second half. If the team says they want to start on D, they have decided that they are forgoing their option to receive the ball at either half. When you choose to defer, the speaking Captain then speaks with the referees at halftime to tell them that they want to receive the ball in the second half.

It is obviously very apparent what each team wants to do, but that is how it goes. I've seen other teams say the wrong thing and have to kick off to start both halves.

Just something very very small but is technically something that makes it more realistic.

I probably alone on this but hope some of you see my point.
I think the game basically assumes the role of the captain in the 2nd half and elects to receive if you kicked off in the first half. Very, very, very rarely will a team kick off both halves and decide to take the wind instead. I've seen it happen once in my entire life and I've seen A LOT of college football games.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Strmtrp's Arena

OVR: 4

Right, but I think his point is that it's something that adds realism to the game that surely wouldn't be the most difficult thing to implement. Just last year there was a game where Nebraska, accidentally, if I recall correctly, picked to kick in the 1st half instead of deferring and didn't get to recieve at the beginning of either half.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Rookie

SammyC14's Arena

OVR: 0

Your right Strm. BA, I totally get where you are coming from being that it is assumed you are going to want the ball and not the wind (I still don't always understand which end zone has the wind and does not when choosing). I was just trying to make it as real life as possible. It also gives the user of the game just a little higher football IQ. Sometimes I think people get their football knowledge from video games as oppose to real life football. That wouldn't be a problem if the games were more and more like real life (real people, personalities, personal issues).

Just something small that wouldn't take much to change. If a user chose the wrong thing once, they probably would not do it again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Decent idea, but I think most people have been "Maddenized" at this point and have no clue that teams really choose at both halves.

I'm sure most also don't know that you weren't able to defer your choice in the NFL until a few years ago. In Madden you always could, but in the NFL, you had to receive if you won the toss.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I remember hearing about a Nebraska captain who said his team wanted to "Kick" at the start of the game, instead of "Defer" and they ended up kicking off both halves. He said after the game he thought it was like Madden.

I agree, EA should represent this the right way in the game, only to make sure they don't confuse anyone anymore

Watch me play video games
Old 07-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Husker Power

Spooky's Arena

OVR: 8

I believe the most famous example that I can think of (unless I'm mis-remembering, I'm an **** tailgater) was 2001 Oklahoma/Nebraska. When Oklahoma knowingly chose to kick to start both halves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »