Home

Wildcat virtually useless this year

This is a discussion on Wildcat virtually useless this year within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Pro

RnRexpress3423's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Wildcat virtually useless this year

Ever since they patched the wildcat in Madden it has been rendered useless. Same thing applies here. Well there's always next year right? Gimme some 2k football already.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLawNYC
The Wildcat doesn't work for the same reason running from Shotgun formations is worthless in this game. The snap/handoff animations take WAAAAAAY too long to complete, so by the time you have control of the ballcarrier, there are already 3 defenders in the backfield. This, combined with the fact that the CPU defenders are able to tell exactly what play you're running the instant you snap the ball, enables them to be in exactly the correct position to stop your play before it even has a chance to get going.

Same problem it's been for 3 or 4 years, actually, but it might be even worse this year.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that the AI defense runs the perfect play 98% of the time. The only other 2% being when they run those stupid all out blitzes that leaves my slot receiver wide open for an easy score. For some reason, I just can't like this game. It looks great but plays like crap.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Rookie

cap032's Arena

Playing with Bama, the wildcat has been pretty decent for me. I probably avg between 5 to 8 yds when I use it. Playing on AA I had one long run for TD with Richardson on a keeper and one long run with Lacey on a handoff during a season. It actually feels more realistic to me. I base that on how well the play worked for Bama in the 09 season vs how it worked in 10. In 09 Ingram destroyed D's with the play but last year defenses were prepared to stop it and did so much better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

As Western Michigan I can get 5-6 ypc running out of the shotgun.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
Pro

Cj7298419's Arena

OVR: 8

Playing with Oregon their Wildcat plays have been my most successful actually.

I use LaMichael James in the "QB" position then hand it off to their backup RB (forgot his name) for the sweep. Just so happens that the backup is a damn good RB in his own right.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

I wouldn't have a balanced running attack if it weren't for the wildcat.

I'm with 2* UNLV so it's working for a less than stellar club.

The jet and fly sweep plays are vastly improved this year and have been a breath of fresh air. Running out of shotgun is so much better in general.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have troubles with Wildcat, but at least in my case it's as effective as can be expected given my talent pool at a 2* program.

I'm using the Spread offense playbook by the way, maybe try a different pbook with a different group of W'cat plays.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

There's a lot of problems with the wildcat, especially online.

1) The game immediately flags to the other player that you are running the wildcat, even if you use the QB as the triggerman, completely blowing any element of surprise.

2) Nearly all the plays start with the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG run in from the sidelines, which allows the other player to time out the snap perfectly. Its the same problem with the End Around.

3) The other player will nearly always call some sort of Man blitz, which means that when the 2nd RB runs into the backfield, the DB will follow him and likely come crashing in unblocked from the backside, making counters and keepers extremely risky.

4) You can't audible, even to other WC plays. So if you see 5 guys stacking up right where you want to run, you've gotta burn a timeout.

All in all, I find it worthless in this iteration because it has all the drawbacks of the real wildcat (limited passing threat) without the speed, surprise, or overload at the point of attack
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Wildcat worked for me well in NCAA 10. Hasent since. The whole defense attacks as if they drew the play up themselves once you hike the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »