Home

Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile...

This is a discussion on Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile...

I'm not exactly using great teams right now just mainly lower spread-like teams til' cparrish's re-rated rosters come out. It seems you can't run out of the shotgun without upping the AI which means once you switch back to ace, weak, strong, and i-from. It makes ridiculously easy. I don't have great blockers but most spread teams don't. I guess I could switch to a half shotgun- half whatever else playbook but that would defeat the purpose of a spread team. I figured people who make a College Football video-game would watch college football to realize the spread works because it spreads out receivers making the the run easier because of less linebackers and d-linemen. Yet it always seems like four defensive linemen over power my 5 or 6 blockers and the linebackers can come straight thru the o-line because they don't go to the next level. It seems you have to jack up the AI to the point that they will actually block then it becomes too easy. I wish EA would actually try to fix the AI for a system that a lot of college football teams run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile...

I got 100 yards with both my QB and my HB against Nebraska using Michigan and the read options in my shotgun sets...it can work, you just have to be patient and stick with it even when it's failing a lot.

Last edited by aarontab; 07-23-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: took out the quote, it was unnecessary.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have a lot of sucess with the quicker and faster running backs which is very realistic.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Its all about tendencies and expectancies. If you are trying to run of 1st and 10, then obvious the CPU will be ready. But I have found great success when I run the ball on 2nd or 3rd and long. Probably because the CPU is dropping into a zone or in double man coverage.

Read option and Counter are both plays that I have found work really well from the gun.

In my custom playbook, all but 4 formations are shotgun and the Wing formations with FB/TE motion (Zone and Power) as well as the WR motions (Jet HB Dive) work very well. My playbook is essentially and Air Raid with some Oregon/Auburn inspired running plays from the gun. Look into doing something like that. (the other 4 formations are Ace - Big, 2 pistol formations, and Power I for closing a game out)

Edit: Also, if you set up a deep passing game (plays of atleast 10 yards or more) then running because much easier later in the game cause you will see the CPU respecting the deep ball and playing cover 3 and running lanes open up.

Last edited by MagicMan1315; 07-23-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Pro

Nebraska has a solid O-line which most spread teams don't you run the spread to compensate for talent when you play with USF and others you have to edit the AI and everything else. Sometimes you can get 10 yards then the next couple of plays you're lucky to get three. You have to get lucky to be able to run and when my RB average 2.2 yards on 31 carries it's very frustrating. I wan't a fair sim game but when I can't run on the likes of Troy and Wake Forest it's aggravating. It's simple logic that they haven't fixed in the last couple of years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

Thats odd.. I am playing a TTUs average O line and my HB goes for like 11 carries for 78 yards and a touchdown or two every game... Play around with sliders a guess..
Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan1315
Its all about tendencies and expectancies. If you are trying to run of 1st and 10, then obvious the CPU will be ready. But I have found great success when I run the ball on 2nd or 3rd and long. Probably because the CPU is dropping into a zone or in double man coverage.

Read option and Counter are both plays that I have found work really well from the gun.

In my custom playbook, all but 4 formations are shotgun and the Wing formations with FB/TE motion (Zone and Power) as well as the WR motions (Jet HB Dive) work very well. My playbook is essentially and Air Raid with some Oregon/Auburn inspired running plays from the gun. Look into doing something like that. (the other 4 formations are Ace - Big, 2 pistol formations, and Power I for closing a game out)

Edit: Also, if you set up a deep passing game (plays of atleast 10 yards or more) then running because much easier later in the game cause you will see the CPU respecting the deep ball and playing cover 3 and running lanes open up.
Really hard to pass without using a 90+ OVR QB with the psychic DB's and all. Thanks for the advice. I find that it's hard to use the zone and power plays because many times it takes too long to develop. What sliders do you use? i use http://www.operationsports.com/forum...eed-8-min.html . I'm leery of using any Heisman sliders because the CPU will know what I'm doing even worse now.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

I am playing on AA with my own custom sliders I have found works for me.. I have only sense a psychic DB once.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »