Home

Bottom line - passing game just isn't fun

This is a discussion on Bottom line - passing game just isn't fun within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Bottom line - passing game just isn't fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabo's corked Bat
This is why I always call plays that allow me to quick audible out of. If I want to run, I'll pick a pass play, then switch it to run. I get lots of success with this and draws out of the spread are money on AA, even against good Ds. Got 270 yards against a #3 Michigan team in my 7th year of my Bear-cats Dynasty.
I do the bait and switch play calling as well, but it's not realistic or fun.

Even when you audible from a pass to a run, the defense knows it. It knows exactly what play you called and instantaneously adjusts.

However, I've noticed that occasionally the CPU lets the user win or make a huge play. It's like the game's outcome is predetermined by the CPU.

For example, sometimes (maybe 1 in 20 times) I'll call a pass play and the CPU defense will line up in a scheme that allows my play to actually work without a run/pass audible.

But for the most part, if you call a run play, the defense will blitz the gap you're aiming for. If you call a wide option, the CPU will know and stack that side. If you call a pass play, the defense will usually be in a zone, with those pesky super LB's ball hawking the entire middle of the field. And if you can lob it past those LB's, you still have to contend with the psychic DB's that turn on a dime to make impossible plays.

There's no strategy to play calling. You can't bait the CPU into playing the pass or run, then calling the opposite. You can't outsmart the CPU. There's no point in establishing a ground game, because the CPU won't overcommit to the run. The second you call a pass play (even a play action) the CPU knows and defends it with zone.

Disappointing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #42
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeafroman
User QB takes a long time to throw, and that'd be okay, BUT...

the CPU QB still does absurd throws while being hit for an incompletion instead of a sack.

The CPU defensive backs aggressively make plays, which would be okay, BUT

User DBs still wait and let the ball fall down to them at waist-level for INTs, allowing CPU WRs to catch the ball and go.
I can't disagree anymore.

In NCAA 11 I would scream at the cpu QB getting off pass after after pass after pass just as I was about to take them down.

This year I am getting sacks, pressure and rattling the QB when earned.

Night and day.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #43
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Got this forum can be maddening at times.

sent from parts unknown
Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #44
Rookie

strive's Arena

OVR: 0

I couldn't disagree anymore this has been the best year for passing. Yeah there are psychic db/lbs sometimes, but from the qb part it is really good. I play on Heisman 8mins custom sliders, my starting QB 84 OVERALL, is sitting at 11TD-3INT (2 were my fault, 1 was psychic db) on the season. Past versions it was either ridiculous on the psychic levels or way to easy. (JMO) As we all know sliders, gameplay, etc YMMV.

I find DL knockdowns more annoying/frequent than anything else TBH.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ

sent from parts unknown
Then you should exercise your freedom of choice and refrain from joining discussions that madden you. Pretty novel idea, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #46
MVP

Hurricain's Arena

OVR: 10

-Set up the run, use play action.

-Vary the sets you run.

-watch for the blitz.

-MOVE IN THE POCKET. So important, this will move the LBs.

Just a couple tips. I'm liking the passing game.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #47
Rookie

jackson's Arena

OVR: 5

I have been in practice mode for an ungodly amount of time and I too feel this frustration. I discovered that there was very little difference between playing against a good secondary and a bad one. I spent hours tweaking sliders to help my passing game which was lacking. btw I am an AA player who has been playing college football games its beginnings. I think I am an average player that appreciates realism but wants to have fun. I adjusted the cpu pass coverage to 0 to 5. At 0, the cpu will at times lose sight of the ball in the air, or at least that's the concession I've decided to convince myself of. At 5, this doesn't really happen, at least at any quantitative level. I also raised the hum pb to around 80 to 85. I know; You guys are saying that those numbers don't jive, but hang on. The cpu blitzes a lot. To have a regular passing game that threatens the opposing defense, these numbers are critical. To offset the blitz that happens all the time you must make your ol pb pretty well when there is no blitz, that way when there is, the defender that gets through more often than not is the unblocked blitzer. I run with OU cuz I went there and live in the state. You all know OU passing game is not one easily rivaled in the NCAA. I was struggling with excessive sacks due to the computer getting to me with chump d lines and covering perfectly behind it. THIS WAS NOT FUN OR REALISTIC. And no I don't hold the ball forever. I would encourage you guys to experiment with these sliders as they are still difficult and their is not much of a difference in the cpu coverage at that low of a level but it does help. I hope this helps you guys. I am more than happy to share my sliders if anyone is interested. I am 32 and love NCAA and play maybe two to three hours every couple days give or take, to give you some perspective of my level. Sorry bout the long post. Looking back over the text it's kinda hard on the eyes.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #48
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
Wrong forum. Stuff here is NCAAing. Har har.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »