Home

The Anatomy of a Players Overall Rating

This is a discussion on The Anatomy of a Players Overall Rating within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The Anatomy of a Players Overall Rating

One question in my mind is, when it comes to the make up of the OVR, are not some of the important (contributing) factors almost non-essential when usering the player?
I feel like I've read recently, here in another thread, that BTK is key when simming, but TRK is the key for a user'd HB (or do I have that backward?). I also can't think of a HB I've recruited using your can't-do-without program, who I almost don't require that he have 80+ spin or juke (with appropriate ELV rating). But this also accents your reply statement to another poster about making starter decisions based upon the characteristics ratings of the characteristics your POS player needs (CBs for me are MAN/PRS, SPD/ACC and PRC, even accepting lower AWR b/c I feel PRC compensates. I snap up 71-72 OVR guys with mid-80s or better in those categories).

Back to user-control... it would seem KA is second to KP since you can 'control' accuracy. Lost out on my top P choice a few seasons back (playing '11) and thought I'd be hurting with a low-70s KA guy with 90-something KP. OMG...next recruiting cycle I'm looking for the highest KP I can find. unbe-LIEVABLE factor on KOs.

Given your addition in the QB example, would you elaborate on what the combined characteristics of the other ratings being >10 (THA) actually mean? Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake...
Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
Given your addition in the QB example, would you elaborate on what the combined characteristics of the other ratings being >10 (THA) actually mean? Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake...
Think of it this way, you have two QB recruits your looking at...
Code:
QB 1
68 OVR (with THP at 70 for this example)
90 THA 
60 AWR 	
60 SPD	
60 BTK	
60 AGL	
60 ACC	
60 INJ	
60 TRK	
60 ELV	

QB 2
69 OVR (with THP at 70 for this example)
80 THA 
70 AWR 	
70 SPD	
70 BTK	
70 AGL	
70 ACC	
70 INJ	
70 TRK	
70 ELV
The 10 points to THA can be offset by the accumulative 10.5 points from AWR, SPD, BTK, AGL, ACC, INJ, TRK and ELV. Looking at the example I would want QB2 even though QB1 has a lot better touch on the ball. So the lesson is don't get overly focused on the Top attribute at the expense of all the little ones that matter too.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketScout
Think of it this way, you have two QB recruits your looking at...
Code:
QB 1
68 OVR (with THP at 70 for this example)
90 THA 
60 AWR 	
60 SPD	
60 BTK	
60 AGL	
60 ACC	
60 INJ	
60 TRK	
60 ELV	

QB 2
69 OVR (with THP at 70 for this example)
80 THA 
70 AWR 	
70 SPD	
70 BTK	
70 AGL	
70 ACC	
70 INJ	
70 TRK	
70 ELV
The 10 points to THA can be offset by the accumulative 10.5 points from AWR, SPD, BTK, AGL, ACC, INJ, TRK and ELV. Looking at the example I would want QB2 even though QB1 has a lot better touch on the ball. So the lesson is don't get overly focused on the Top attribute at the expense of all the little ones that matter too.
You would only want QB2 if you intend to be running around the field with him, am I right? If you're running a pro-style offense and need a pocket passer, that 10 extra throw accuracy is going to be a lot more valuable than 10 points in all those scrambling stats...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
You would only want QB2 if you intend to be running around the field with him, am I right? If you're running a pro-style offense and need a pocket passer, that 10 extra throw accuracy is going to be a lot more valuable than 10 points in all those scrambling stats...
Sorry left out the key piece of info that i prefer a balanced QB over a scrambler and pure pocket passer.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
Pro

nyqua's Arena

OVR: 6

Nice I'm going to put that chart to good use.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketScout
Sorry left out the key piece of info that i prefer a balanced QB over a scrambler and pure pocket passer.
So what attributes for a defensive end translate to him picking up more double teams for a 34 defense?

Same for a 34 linbacker. What attributes should i be looking for?

Also what exactly is the difference between blocking strength/footwork and simple runblock/passblock? How do these ratings actually manifest in the game?

Last edited by feeq14; 07-25-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
Rookie

nmm666's Arena

OVR: 0

Couple questions for you PocketScout:

1. With regard to the SQT rating, where, how does this apply to FB and TE? Are they considered 'skill' players or lineman?

2a. I've noticed in '12 that some players are assigned an F rating for certain attributes. Do you have any idea how those ratings translate into attribute numbers?

I'm assuming from your letter grade chart that, for example, if a guy has a C+ awareness rating, his attribute number for AWR would be anywhere between 76 and 79 (hence your program estimating high, low and average OVRs). But there is no F range on your chart.

2b. I've also noticed lots of guys with 40 times lower than 5.02 (haven't looked to see if there's guys with BCH or SQT weights lower than your lower bound). Any idea how these lower times translate to SPD ratings?

I'm asking these questions because I'm in the middle of building my own offline recruiting spreadsheet (I'm PS3 user, so I can only use your program for OD) to compare various recruits I'm interested in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

1. With regard to the SQT rating, where, how does this apply to FB and TE? Are they considered 'skill' players or lineman?

They are skilled players

2a. I've noticed in '12 that some players are assigned an F rating for certain attributes. Do you have any idea how those ratings translate into attribute numbers?
D - is 59-40
F is 1-39

2b. I've also noticed lots of guys with 40 times lower than 5.02 (haven't looked to see if there's guys with BCH or SQT weights lower than your lower bound). Any idea how these lower times translate to SPD ratings?

You can follow the chart. It is the same spread as you get lower...

4.96-63
4.98-62
5.00-61
5.02-60
5.04-59
5.06-58
5.08-57
etc.... until you get to the end

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »