Home

EA & Consumer Respect

This is a discussion on EA & Consumer Respect within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #41
Banned

boilermakernet08's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA & Consumer Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
I don't know if they go on vacation; everyone needs a break. But if that's what's going on, they need to push it back and find another time to do so.
LOL! I work in the IT support field and my supervisor tells the same one-liner after we finish a big project: OK people, we just finished a big project, time for a vacation!!

For those of you who don't get it, almost any project in the IT field is never done, especially when something new gets rolled out. When something new is rolled out, the joy of supporting it only begins.

As I said earlier, the dollar is the single most important thing if you want to make a statement. We all know how businesses work. Businesses are run by suits. When the dollars dry up, the suits notice and things change. You can come on here and make a billion posts about how mad you are at this game and the the suits won't give a darn because YOU ALREADY GAVE THEM WHAT THEY WANTED. (I hate using caps by the way, but the point needs to be hammered over and over again). When the dollars stop coming in - whether it be from competition (which we know doesn't exist at this point) or from gamers ceasing their pre-orders and RENTING first, things will change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 4

I'm really close to calling NCAA 12 the worst edition ever released. There too many problems with this game. Almost no significant crowd noise, bad passing game, quiet tackles. The defense is so empowering at times it seems pointless to even pass the ball. The qbs can't throw passes like they could before. It seems likevtheost basic pass is intercepted. The custom playbills are cool, but the formations save all out of order and audibles that should saved are don't show up. What the crap is EA doing? I think they are losing continuity with what the game is suppose to be about...FUN
MLB:New York Mets
NFL:San Francisco 49ers
Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 3

In fairness to EA, every sports game released these days ships with significant problems. This is almost certainly because of the very short development cycle on very, very complex software. Even the standard-bearer of sports games, MLB the Show, has had "game-breaking" (to some) bugs out of the box the last few years. It's just the way things work these days. It's unfortunate, but these guys are doing the best they can.

However, the SCEA people are much better than EA on communicating the issues they have found and the timetable for correcting them. Much better. It keeps the discussion civil, at the very least, and keeps the consumer happy.

I also think it's high time folks realize that there's a reason developers are active on these forums while a game is in development and before release. It's not because they like people haranguing them about their games. It's because they're promoting a product.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #44
Pro

northface28's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
They did say they were working on it... Then nothing else.
Was this direct or from a source? Ive yet to see a response from EA direct.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 2

A lot of you guys seem to get it. The only way EA is going to hear you is $$$$. If their pre order and first week sales drop significantly, they will be forced to find out why. And they will find out that every year's buggy release along with lack of communication to customers after the release and slow turnaround time to fixes is why.

However, I'm skeptical that enough people would wait to buy the game used or not buy at all to make a difference. You have 3 very powerful forces at work here, and EA knows it: 1. Monopoly, 2. A football crazed nation, and 3. Tradition of buying the new game every year

They can release a buggy game, fix it when they want, and not really provide any post release customer service because they are selling in huge numbers every year. They have the model down: Hype up the game in the offseason with a few new features and gameplay adjustments, then sell a ton of copies. Development costs are down as they are essentially releasing the same game with easy to program features and tweaks added. So you can spend your money on marketing. Testing, development, and after sale service can be sacrificed because lack of them are not costing any sales.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yeah, the issue isn't that the game is buggy, the issue is that EA, without fail, blows a bunch of smoke up our backsides, they never come clean, and their responsiveness to the community is abhorrent.

Gamers by and large will forgive developers for initial bugs (especially if they're PC gamers as well and have grown up on the "release and patch" model), but only if there is some trust established. Only if the consumers are given reason to believe the developers are committed to making a good game rather than just getting millions of dollars to produce a beta code.

They are the beneficiaries of exclusivity and they know it. They know they're going to get your $65 no matter what they churn out, because your desire to play something remotely resembling college football is enough to justify it. Their "stellar" reviews are the byproduct of the copious ad space they buy from the big sites and from the quid pro quo perks they grant to the smaller ones. The community sites that haven't been bought have been marginalized.

In short, this series has gotten to where it is today on the back of the cut corners that exclusivity allows and the marketing spin they're able to generate with the immense power of the brand.

Last edited by makaveli_Reborn; 07-25-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #47
Pro

northface28's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
Couldn't of said it better. The one thing I can't stand is the fact these guys disappear after release. They have all these blogs on their website leading up to release, but once it's out, it's so hard to get any updates.

I don't know if they go on vacation; everyone needs a break. But if that's what's going on, they need to push it back and find another time to do so.

The communication breakdown is what infuriates me, not so much the bugs.
Exactly, its like trying to get ahold of used car salesman AFTER you have purchased the vehicle. Up until that point, he was available, helpful, and answered all inquiries. After the purchase, its kind of like, "youre on your own now".
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #48
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I echo most of the sentiments expressed in this thread. I've been pretty let down with this year's version. I like a lot of what is going on during gameplay, but the implementation of new features seems shoddy and at the expense of causing troubles for previously working features.

The new HDR lighting looks great in some respects, but it seems to cause some frame rate hiccups when running between the tackles. Then of course there's the well-documented dirty uniforms issues again. The game looks great in still photographs, but from the gameplay camera I think it's a bit of a step back from last year. Seems like more of an effort was made to have the game look good for the photo thread in this forum than in motion and during general gameplay.

The coaching carousel and custom conferences were welcome additions, but their implementation is buggy. As a coordinator your school stops having its record for tv games counted and it causes your school's tv exposure rating to decrease rapidly. Custom conferences cause all sorts of scheduling issues. Importing teambuilder teams to dynasty now causes scheduling issues. Doesn't seem like there was enough time to thoroughly test all these new features.

Add the freezing and roster issues and it just seems like everything new that was added doesn't really work properly —heck, even the newly added Big 10 Championship game has a bug where it's treated like a cold weather game despite being indoors. I want to like the game, but it doesn't work properly yet. I was hoping we'd get an update on intentions by the NCAA team for a patch, like what issues they acknowledge. So far they seem to have said they're going to fix the roster issue, but what about the other bugs? Doesn't EA have community relations people? Where are they?

I love the series, but it seems like an incomplete effort so far this year. We'll see how much can be fixed with a patch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »