Home

Ive figured out why the running game is so unrealistic

This is a discussion on Ive figured out why the running game is so unrealistic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Ive figured out why the running game is so unrealistic

As far as i can tell there are four possible outcomes when a block is attempted in this game.

1. No block at all, meaning that the blockers kinda slide by the defenders without any animation engaging. Thankfully this happens a lot less than previous years and can be addressed with sliders effectively

2. Reset engagement, This is when niether linemen or defender break the animation but reset, usually with one figure being pushed backward or forward or toward/away from the hole the run is going through. When this happens things usually work well for realism as you dont see to many linemen so quickly win or lose an engagement. The only problem with this is that the animations are not nearly as breakable as they should be and it can lead to big runs because a defender is stuck in an animation.

3. Pancake by the o lineman. The amount this happens seems fairly realistic in my opinion and again can be adressed by sliders... but if you lower run block than you get the next outcome far too much

4. Beaten block by the defender. Here is the biggest problem with running in my opinion. This interaction along with the previous is FAR too common in the game. With lowered run block sliders, or on heisman difficulty you will see defensive linemen break their blocks AS SOON AS YOU ARE HANDED THE BALL. It would be different if this happened before the ball was handed off signifiing a defender penetrating super effectively, but happening as soon as the ball is handed off just signifies more of the scripted nature of the game.

Another thing is that defenders always key on you much quicker when you sprint. Even though football logic says sprint to the hole, you will find that the whole will stay open much longer if you jog to it...

Then once you realize this as a player you just begin to manipulate the defense. you know that as soon as you get the ball going in a certain direction that the defenders will key there so you just wait for them to break in that direction and run the opposite. To make matters worse, o linemen that get beat IMMEDIATELY head down field (something that the cant seem to do on many other occasions) which can lead to waaay to many big runs.

After a while you feel less and less immersed in the game because you are simply manipulating the in game AI.

Next years title really needs to focus on figuring out ways to improve line play with in the constraints of this physics engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Pro

cardinals57's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Ive figured out why the running game is so unrealistic

Regarding number one I see that close to once every running play with navy
Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Experimenting with the game last night I noticed on varsity the defense doesn't react instantly to everything you do like in AA or Heisman. It's a more realistic pause as they assess and react. With sliders cranked up this might make the running game more organic... Still testing.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

I just wish the CPU's run D on All-American was better, I torch them almost every game. I also wished their Pass D was not as psychic...I want a happy medium, come on EA.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
MVP

Wavebird99's Arena

I rush for over 150 yards every game on AA with CPU run defense at 80. Kind of annoying but at the same time I play 8 minute quarters and against better teams I have tons of short runs. I'm thinking about bumping it up to 85 though
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Rookie

Michgantown's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinals57
Regarding number one I see that close to once every running play with navy
If you are running with their playbook that is supposed to happen on their option plays
Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

I agree with what you're saying and I'll add a few more blocking issues.

1) Blockers give up as soon as they are beat. Once a blocker is beaten by a defender, they immediately go after a new player regardless of how important the initial block is to the play.

2) Lineman never try to get there backs to the hole. This makes it much easier for DL to get off of their blocks and make a tackle. Also, on stretch plays blockers need to get to the outside of the players they are blocking to make an edge.

3) Blockers do not adjust to blitzes. This is basic football. If you have a combo block and see that the LB is blitzing, then you need to adjust and have one player block the DT and the other block the LB.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Pro

cardinals57's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michgantown
If you are running with their playbook that is supposed to happen on their option plays
Yeah one guy on the edge but when the dts aren't blocked at all it's frustrating

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »