Home

Most important attributes for a good fullback?

This is a discussion on Most important attributes for a good fullback? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Most important attributes for a good fullback?

I have no clue, but I need to find out since there are only athletes to recruit at that position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Most important attributes for a good fullback?

try this.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ll-rating.html
Old 07-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

I always recruit a short 3* TE and redshirt him for a season and switch his position. I only use the FB to block and catch anyway.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6

For me his catching skills... I throw alot of passes to the flats, and there are also a few money plays with the fullback running routes this year.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavner
I always recruit a short 3* TE and redshirt him for a season and switch his position. I only use the FB to block and catch anyway.
This and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenTigh
For me his catching skills... I throw alot of passes to the flats, and there are also a few money plays with the fullback running routes this year.
this.

These are both good suggestions. However, to really answer the question, all I can do is respond with the following question:

Why are you recruiting a fullback?

It's not sarcastic or rhetorical. But every time you're recruiting a player at every position, it's a question you need to ask yourself.

Why am I recruiting this position? What are the expectations for players in this position in my offensive system?

Fact of the matter is, every playbook has Goal Line formation in it. Therefore, every playbook has a fullback in it, and therefore when you look at recruiting needs, you're going to see that you need a fullback.

If this is the only formation in your playbook that you use that needs a fullback, then honestly, don't waste time recruiting a fullback. Furthermore, don't waste time recruiting a guy who even remotely resembles a fullback. Recruit a couple extra linemen and plug one of them in for formation subs on your goal line set. He's going to be a far, far blocker than any fullback, athlete, runningback, tight end, whatever you find to put in that spot that you think will make a good fullback. And don't change his position... leave him as a guard or center (if he's a tackle, change his position to guard/center, or better yet, just try picking a guard/center).

On the completely opposite end of the spectrum, if you're running a triple option offense and you need a versatile fullback who is more than capable of running the ball, you want to look for strong, oversized power running backs. Think of a Peyton Hillis type. He played Fullback for four years at Arkansas and now he plays running back for Cleveland and is on the cover of Madden.

Lastly, suppose your a pass-heavy, shotgun heavy spread offense. You've got some of those shotgun formations with the HB and FB standing next to the quarterback. For this FB slot, I highly suggest simply recruiting extra speed/balance HBs, identical to the HB you have in the actual HB position. And keep in mind you can use hot routes to audible either back into or out of passblocking duties.

But for the vast majority of everyone else who runs the I Form at least a good 10% of the time, you most likely want to find an undersized TE. This will give you the best balance between blocking ability and catching ability that most offenses will use their TE for.

Personally, I am always going after the bigger power running backs for my offense. I don't run triple option, but rather a run-heavy pro-style offense. I hand the ball off to my fullback a lot, both on called FB runs as well as triple options out of the I-Form.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »