Home

Gotta fix the tackling

This is a discussion on Gotta fix the tackling within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
Rookie

DahLZy's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Gotta fix the tackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by theascetichope
Yeah but have you actually played the NHL 11? The hitting is absolutely whack, there is nothing "real-time" about their physics.
Yeah but its a huge step in the right direction. Next year even the goalies will be physically affected. I only see progress from EA sports NHL installments while NCAA and Madden have got me wondering. When will we see a real game of football with real momentum and backbreaker type tackles?

Just watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPe2YMjTuh4

I mean FIFA?! Fifa is having a full time physic momentum engine?

The main aspect of football in my point of view: Tackling.

If you can't get the tackling right, then you don't a true to life football game.

I want my receivers and CB's to fight for the ball, to battle in the air and fall over eachother. I want my HB to get hit one side by the LB, get pushed by my LG and and then have the whole defense come crushing down on me.

I mean I love NCAA games and if they got the tackling down to a tee.....this game would be beyond unreal. I am already pretty addicted to NCAA 12 so maybe it's a good thing that it doesn't play to the realistic amount that it could. Man oh man..
Old 07-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Loose cannon? I'm not going to start insulting people who disagree with my opinion. I think it's fine. Sorry you don't. I have not had a problem with it At All!!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsy34
Haha yeah my DT and DE's standing there watching the running back go by them and then pursuing them is far from gorgeous.

I think the tackling is ok. Not good, and certainly not great. But it's better than previous iterations. That's not saying much, though.

I agree with the TS, to a degree.

While some of the tackling animations are decent, the tackling logic is inherently flawed.

A scrambling QB can easily gain 10 yards a play by merely exploiting the poor defensive AI. This is especially true when the defenders are in zone. The defensive AI won't even acknowledge that the QB is scrambling until after he breaks the LoS and has run past the zone defender. That's when the defense begins pursuit.

Sliders can't fix this. It's hard-wired into the AI.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

I'm getting used to it...previousl I guess was getting help from 'suction tackling' and didnt even know it so when starting with this game I often went right by the guy I was coming after...took me a few games to get my timing down and start making the tackle where previously all you had to do was run in thier direction and things worked out on thier own.

I do think BREAKING tackles needs some work...why cant my full back lower his shoulder and go through a CB? ditto for my 'power' back who gets stood up and brought down in almost every single head on tackle situation. I dont want to have to slider fix sommething like this that should be simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenFranchise10
I think the tackling is ok. Not good, and certainly not great. But it's better than previous iterations. That's not saying much, though.

I agree with the TS, to a degree.

While some of the tackling animations are decent, the tackling logic is inherently flawed.

A scrambling QB can easily gain 10 yards a play by merely exploiting the poor defensive AI. This is especially true when the defenders are in zone. The defensive AI won't even acknowledge that the QB is scrambling until after he breaks the LoS and has run past the zone defender. That's when the defense begins pursuit.

Sliders can't fix this. It's hard-wired into the AI.
I agree whole heartedly with this though, the way the AI looks dumbfounded when a QB takes off is enough to make you turn it off. the QB will literally run right by a guy who watched him run from 10 yards behind the LOS and be past him before he makes a break.

Last edited by maademperor; 07-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
Rookie

DahLZy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joephillips03
Loose cannon? I'm not going to start insulting people who disagree with my opinion. I think it's fine. Sorry you don't. I have not had a problem with it At All!!
I meant loose cannon "loosely". I know people are subjected to their own opinion about the game but I like my video games as true to life as possible, especially a simulation game like NCAA. With that being said, I would like EA to make bigger enhancements in tackling. They may have made minor improvements this year but these minor improvements should have been implamented at least two or three years ago.

Like I said....if backbreaker can have a full physics tackling engine that works outstanding, than I don't get why EA sports can't have it. It just shows the lack of work ethic or understanding of football by EA.

The basis of football is based off physics....momentum, speed and weight.

Clear example right here: a LB hits the RB and they make that funky tackle animation where the running back keeps on running but the LB is lifting him up or however you wanna describe it. Well how come my CB and DE who also want to get in on the tackle just brush right off the HB or my CB and DE will just take over the tackle and start a new animation and the LB's animation ends with the HB. I want real pile on's and no more animation tackling. Like the whole field is alive. Just like how backbreaker does it.

Just my thought on tackling. NHL has real time physics for hitting, along with FIFA, and NBA. So how come the one sport that really thrives off physics doesn't have a real time physics hitting engine?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
I agree bro... "sticky blocks" or "suction blocking" is a problem...it's annoying, frustrating, and infuriating... 10 yards down field you get sucked into a block and can't get off of it and the dude breaks an 80 yarder....I've never played a football game where there were more bogus 80 Yard break aways....the game is garbage...
Have you actually played 12? There is NO suction blocking in the game. Next time don't forget to take 11' out of your system

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #23
Rookie

DahLZy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joephillips03
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=rqu4q6LtTPM

Like right there folks!! Backbreakers first game installment has real fights between CB and WR's. Can someone explain to me why EA hasn't added this? Because the engine is built off animations. We have had plenty of NCAA's in the next gen system and nothing has been put in place like this. It's sad
Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 8

I've found that strafing makes it easier to attempt the tackle; the AI is terrible at auto strafing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »