Home

How to run a 3-4 defense?

This is a discussion on How to run a 3-4 defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: How to run a 3-4 defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
How are you getting your LOLB over the TE "most times"? Are you working with the assumption that the O will most often align with the TE on the right?

This kills me, because the 3-4 would be so much better if we could actually identify strongside and weakside LBs (given that their skill sets are completely different). Another option - though not nearly as good - would be for the offense to indicate its strongside in the playcall screen so the defense could manually formation swap the OLBs into their proper places.

Can't imagine we'll be getting some variation this til next gen (if ever), though.
I've been mentioning this for a while on these forums.

EA needs to bring us a major overhaul of the depth chart.

Offense needs the option to either use LT/LG/C/RG/RT OR Strong side/weak side Tackle/Guard, as some offenses use. Wide receiver position needs to be broken down. We need Flanker, Split End, and Slot (where the 4th and 5th receivers in 4 and 5 wide sets are the 2nd and 3rd receivers in slot depth chart).

And heck EA... Madden has had a 3rd Down Back on their depth chart forever, when can we get this in NCAA?

On defense?

We need strong side and weak side ends and OLBs. Also, we need DT to be broke down to RDT and LDT. As well as MLB broken into RMLB and LMLB. Corner needs to be broken into Left Corner, Right Corner, and Nickel (and similar to receivers, when in a Dime set, game takes second DB on Nickel depth chart).

But we need different depth charts for the different defensive systems. 4-3 depth chart needs to look different from 3-4 needs to look different from 4-2-5 needs to look different from 3-3-5.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Rookie

strive's Arena

OVR: 0

Here is how I play it from a gameplay perspective:

I control MLB#2, and hot route the other linebackers to blitz/zone depending on alignments. If I'm on a TE/FB/RB, and notice they're in pass protect; I will often spy or blitz. I've also been known to blitz players and take their man. I do this if I anticipate a "short" route/pass protection from my guy. It works great on compressed formations since there isn't much ground to cover. I'll let the QB have the "short" route if he can find it.

I personally like to come out in a more conservative defense, and adjust my defense accordingly. I rarely pick a blitz play and adjust around it. Although I do have situations that call for blitz. Like I love bringing the heat on 3rd and long to force a quick pass or in in-completion. I play lots of Cover 1 and 2. Some Cover 3 if I'm not getting adequate pressure or my pass d is getting shredded. I very rarely run man unless it is double/bracket coverage on a specific player/play I'm banking on.

As for recruiting, I don't really move people out of position. If I find me a built safety 230lbs+ I'll move him to linebacker in the off-season. I haven't had great results moving DE->OLB not enough speed/coverage skills to really work to my schemes even by the time they're SRs. I've been moving DTs to DEs though and having great results especially high AWR and ACC ones.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Rookie

Bucknut17's Arena

OVR: 5

having x,y and z or just flanker, slot, and split would be nice but defensively i think its much more important, having mike, will and sam, field corner and short corners, strong/weak side DE's would all be nice to see and a clear difference in depth chart between the 3-4, 3-3-5, 4-2-5 and 4-3 would be awesome. back on topic... i typically use 2 dt's and a de on the d-line, get 2 quick and strong mlbs, and the fastest olb's i can i like to flip my dline back and forth putting the de to the short side and let my dt play the field side since most people will run a majority of the time to the field and often blitz the olb to that side, db's prefer the best man cover guys (hoping the FS has at least decent zone coverage) since i play a majority of the time in 1, 2 man under, and hot route into 0 blitz packages
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymndheartkilla
I have traditionally run a 3-4 in Madden (just switched to NCAA last year when Madden neglected online franchise) but couldn't find DE's over 250 lbs.
Recruit DTs and move them to DEs. That's what I do. Move DTs to DE and DEs to OLB.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

Keep the linebacker there.
Sometimes you will only rush the front 3 line and if one of your other DE's is a linebacker he is be useless against the pass.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
Rookie

dymndheartkilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
How are you getting your LOLB over the TE "most times"? Are you working with the assumption that the O will most often align with the TE on the right?

This kills me, because the 3-4 would be so much better if we could actually identify strongside and weakside LBs (given that their skill sets are completely different). Another option - though not nearly as good - would be for the offense to indicate its strongside in the playcall screen so the defense could manually formation swap the OLBs into their proper places.

Can't imagine we'll be getting some variation of this til next gen (if ever), though.
yeah you're right and it kind of sucks. i usually try to get a lot of real quality depth at OLB so I can redshirt and end up with tough run stoppers on both sides. other than that i just shift my DL over to the strong side, usually my LOLB can contain well enough on weak runs.

Definitely should be addressed though at some point. I will use formation subs like crazy as well, move in best rush OLB's on formations i blitz more out of etc etc
Old 08-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #15
Rookie

dymndheartkilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
Recruit DTs and move them to DEs. That's what I do. Move DTs to DE and DEs to OLB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by football5680
Keep the linebacker there.
Sometimes you will only rush the front 3 line and if one of your other DE's is a linebacker he is be useless against the pass.
yea i have moved DT's to DE before assuming they're quick enough. But you gotta find a pretty athletic DE to make him work at OLB. I've done it in a pinch but usually only used them situationally. I always have one DE that I've moved to OLB and redshirted to put at ROLB in the 3-4 predator form for some passing downs
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »