Home

Am I the only one bothered by lack of a physical manual?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one bothered by lack of a physical manual? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #49
Rookie

WestMag's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Am I the only one bothered by lack of a physical manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
Complain to EA. Maybe they'll go back to their tree-killing ways... oh wait, the manual hasn't been useful in years so why didn't you complain in like 2008 or whenever they started stripping it down to nothing?

You are wrong, new features are added every year. Isnt that why we buy the game? Don't you want to know how to properly implement the new features instead of having to figure them out through trial-and-error and reading a third party site? Tree-killing ways? Youre a complete idiot. How many trees have you killed today? more than Im sure you realize. This is not an excuse, the manual can be downloadable. I didn't complain in 2008 because I didn't own the game in 2008. I do, however, own the current version of game now, and having paid the same price for the game as you, I should be privvy to the same knowlege to give me the ability to play the game as you. Again, I'd even be willing to pay extra for a manual if it gave me the ability to play the game at an optimal level (which virtually noone on this site is achieving). We could all bennifit from a manual!! Price it some where arount 28-27 dollars, I'll buy it. War Eagle hippy.

Last edited by WestMag; 08-04-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMag
You are wrong, new features are added every year. Isnt that why we buy the game? Don't you want to know how to properly implement the new features instead of having to figure them out through trial-and-error and reading a third party site? Tree-killing ways? Youre a complete idiot. How many trees have you killed today? more than Im sure you realize. This is not an excuse, the manual can be downloadable. I didn't complain in 2008 because I didn't own the game in 2008. I do, however, own the current version of game now, and having paid the same price for the game as you, I should be privvy to the same knowlege to give me the ability to play the game as you. Again, I'd even be willing to pay extra for a manual if it gave me the ability to play the game at an optimal level (which virtually noone on this site is achieving). We could all bennifit from a manual!! Price it some where arount 28-27 dollars, I'll buy it. War Eagle hippy.
$28 for a manual? And I'm the idiot? Wonder what that makes you. (By the way, go spend $14 http://www.amazon.com/NCAA-Football-...=operasport-20). You do know the whole reason they cut the manual is to save paper; not money. Doubt it cost them much at all to throw in the 3 or so page pamphlet from last year. I don't care if you didn't buy the game in 2008; you didn't start the thread. Point is, the manual didn't tell you about the features then. It had a couple pages on controls and told you a little it on each mode in dynasty and campus legend. 2006's was a little more detailed. Point is, there is this huge cryfest about there not being a manual (when the one in the game is more detailed a manual than we've seen in a few years), when you should have been crying several years ago when you got a stripped down manual.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #51
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Complain to EA. Maybe they'll go back to their tree-killing ways... oh wait, the manual hasn't been useful in years so why didn't you complain in like 2008 or whenever they started stripping it down to nothing?
I recall some threads a few years back objecting to the bare bones manual.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #52
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
You do know the whole reason they cut the manual is to save paper; not money. Doubt it cost them much at all to throw in the 3 or so page pamphlet from last year.
If you really believe that EA (or any company for that matter) does anything for any reason other than that it cuts costs/increases profit margin, I have some real estate in Vegas you might be interested in. The environmental impact of including a manual in the game is essentially zero. It's always about saving a few cents per unit. I can't believe anyone actually falls for the "we're going green" marketing ploy of offering less in the name of environmentalism...

Quote:
I don't care if you didn't buy the game in 2008; you didn't start the thread. Point is, the manual didn't tell you about the features then. It had a couple pages on controls and told you a little it on each mode in dynasty and campus legend. 2006's was a little more detailed. Point is, there is this huge cryfest about there not being a manual (when the one in the game is more detailed a manual than we've seen in a few years), when you should have been crying several years ago when you got a stripped down manual.
I didn't have the game in 2008, so I can't comment. But if it had a detailed outline of how to do all the various controls in the game, it was better than what we have now. If it didn't, then I would have complained at that time. But even if I didn't, what difference does it make? To say you should have complained a few years ago, and since you didn't you shouldn't complain now, is a non sequitur.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #53
Rookie

aerovt's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
If you really believe that EA (or any company for that matter) does anything for any reason other than that it cuts costs/increases profit margin, I have some real estate in Vegas you might be interested in. The environmental impact of including a manual in the game is essentially zero. It's always about saving a few cents per unit. I can't believe anyone actually falls for the "we're going green" marketing ploy of offering less in the name of environmentalism...
My favorite line is in hotels the whole 'we only wash towels placed in this location because we love the earth' placards most places have now days. Never bothered me really, but I always though it was funny how transparent it is.

Back on topic:
Even the electronic manual isnt that good. I was curious and just glanced through it once, and it left out a lot of stuff. I had to figure out the whole onside kick audible from one of those loading info screens - and Ive been playing NCAA since '00. I used to just mash buttons till it audibled in those situations!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #54
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoCares?
I agree, if there is no manual then the price should drop $1.00 or $2.00 right
I'm guessing they probably save like $0.06 or something by not including a manual.

So, enjoy your game for $59.94.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #55
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
$28 for a manual? And I'm the idiot? Wonder what that makes you. (By the way, go spend $14 http://www.amazon.com/NCAA-Football-...=operasport-20). You do know the whole reason they cut the manual is to save paper; not money. Doubt it cost them much at all to throw in the 3 or so page pamphlet from last year. I don't care if you didn't buy the game in 2008; you didn't start the thread. Point is, the manual didn't tell you about the features then. It had a couple pages on controls and told you a little it on each mode in dynasty and campus legend. 2006's was a little more detailed. Point is, there is this huge cryfest about there not being a manual (when the one in the game is more detailed a manual than we've seen in a few years), when you should have been crying several years ago when you got a stripped down manual.
This. The manual has not been informative at all the last half decade. As for new features, the back of the box is more informative than the manual was. There is nothing wrong with the ingame manual-in fact it is more broad than what was in the past AND can be added to with little to no problem @ all (I would assume). How about that for innovation, Dynamic Manuals!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #56
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMag
Sorry man, but this is just terrible logic. Why do you people accept "That was a different era" as an excuse? EA should not produce a manual because you cant read it on the drive home? I bet most of you defending the lack of a manual would greatly benefit from one. I am more than willing to pay extra for a manual and produce more revenue for EA, but Im not given the option. Make it downloadable, you'll be "green" and spend almost no money doing it. If Im paying full price for a game, I want to know about all of the features and how to properly use them.
The point I was making is that the manuals we've been getting in the games for the past five plus years HAVEN'T had any useful information. It's all the absolute basic information.

The previous era? These manuals were almost mini-strategy guides. They were thick, and in-depth. It wasn't "this button does this, this button does this, this button does this." It was a very deep, in-depth manual.

We haven't been getting these manuals in quite some time.

And if we're not getting those manuals, and you've got ALL the controls in the game, everything you'd otherwise have printed in the manual available through in-game menus? Then just quit printing the manual.

Like I said, the Take 2 games like GTA4, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, etc., these games included GREAT manuals. They're worth looking at, and I do.

But that is absolutely NOT what you're getting from an EA manual. There's no art in the manual, there's nothing interesting in the manual, and there's nothing helpful beyond what's already available in the in-game menus (and most everything in the game is already intuitive enough).

So, EA is fine not printing it... unless they're all the sudden going to change what they're putting in the manual.

I'm getting a huge fold out with some basic information about all the teams (their prestige level, their recruiting strengths, their offensive and defensive styles, their rivals, their record last season, etc. etc., all arranged by conference)... put that in with the manual? Now we're talking. Now EA is giving me something useful and interesting to look at.

But I can't remember the last time NCAA Football had a good manual in it. I always would give it a once-over, but it was basically the same thing every single time--nothing useful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »