Home

Anyone else in love with the run game this year?

This is a discussion on Anyone else in love with the run game this year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
Rookie

okstate19's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Anyone else in love with the run game this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
The run game is super easy.. Running inside and outside.. I shake my head when I hear guys say they're having trouble running or complain about it when they made the run game so easy this year with the elimination of suction tackling. I'm enjoying the run game now since I made my sliders tough and its now a challenge to run the ball when I play elite or good teams.. Before I adjusted them I ran wild on Alabama with Bowling Green who had terrible RBs and I play on Heisman.
I know you play in suped-up Heisman sliders so you must be pretty good, but in my opinion it's hard to be good at running the ball when you're getting tackled in the backfield right as the ball is handed off.

I especially don't know how Bowling Green blocked Alabama's line so well on Heisman. I played a Bowling Green dynasty on All-American/Varsity and my offensive line were extraordinary horrible. It wasn't a matter of "stick-skills" (I hate that term..) or play calling. It was a matter of my offensive line regularly performing the "ole" block and allowing me to get creamed right at the hand off. It seemed that at least one lineman on every other play would completely whiff on a block and let a defender come through untouched. They were literally the worst offensive line I have played behind this year so far.

I'm not calling you out or saying I don't believe you. I just think sometimes there are games (and teams) where you are pretty much screwed if you want to attempt to run the ball. The line simply won't allow it.

Back on topic, I find that I have more success running the ball when the team I play against has a defensive line/linebacking corps that are average to sub-par. I have less success running the ball against solid defensive lines and linebackers.

(Which is how it should be, in my opinion)

I really enjoy running the ball this year. I still love running out of the I, but I believe running out of the spread is greatly improved this year. I've also had some success with the option as well. The corners still blow up options and outside runs too often in my opinion, but overall, I really enjoy the running game and believe it to be better than last year.

And in my opinion, NCAA 11 was worlds better than NCAA 10 in the running game department. Don't even get me started on 09..

EDIT: As the above poster says, I slide protect on nearly every play. I believe it helps a lot. Also, depending on the flow of the game, I will call a pass play on the play-call screen and then right-stick audible to a run. This helps against the "psychic" CPU playcalling in some instances. (But not always)
Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstate19
I know you play in suped-up Heisman sliders so you must be pretty good, but in my opinion it's hard to be good at running the ball when you're getting tackled in the backfield right as the ball is handed off.

I especially don't know how Bowling Green blocked Alabama's line so well on Heisman. I played a Bowling Green dynasty on All-American/Varsity and my offensive line were extraordinary horrible. It wasn't a matter of "stick-skills" (I hate that term..) or play calling. It was a matter of my offensive line regularly performing the "ole" block and allowing me to get creamed right at the hand off. It seemed that at least one lineman on every other play would completely whiff on a block and let a defender come through untouched. They were literally the worst offensive line I have played behind this year so far.

I'm not calling you out or saying I don't believe you. I just think sometimes there are games (and teams) where you are pretty much screwed if you want to attempt to run the ball. The line simply won't allow it.

Back on topic, I find that I have more success running the ball when the team I play against has a defensive line/linebacking corps that are average to sub-par. I have less success running the ball against solid defensive lines and linebackers.

(Which is how it should be, in my opinion)

I really enjoy running the ball this year. I still love running out of the I, but I believe running out of the spread is greatly improved this year. I've also had some success with the option as well. The corners still blow up options and outside runs too often in my opinion, but overall, I really enjoy the running game and believe it to be better than last year.

And in my opinion, NCAA 11 was worlds better than NCAA 10 in the running game department. Don't even get me started on 09..

EDIT: As the above poster says, I slide protect on nearly every play. I believe it helps a lot. Also, depending on the flow of the game, I will call a pass play on the play-call screen and then right-stick audible to a run. This helps against the "psychic" CPU playcalling in some instances. (But not always)
Yea, I can't stand people that say "Stick Skillz" Strategy over Skill is my philosophy. And as far as running the ball in NCAA goes... I use the Patriots Strategy. "Pass to score. Run to win." Pass the ball in the spread to start the game then once you got the lead, pound the ball and play ball control. I end up with like 250 yards passing and like 200 yards rushing as Texas Tech.

Granted, I have a custom playbook. It is still more difficult to run from the shotgun. Look into adding some Wing formations to your play book if you are heart set on running from the gun. Also, every shotgun formation in your playbook should have atleast two running plays. (with a few exceptions) Counter and Read Option. With Read option, I always hand it off. I have just found my oline blocks better on that one then with a sweep from the shotgun.

Also, know the defense. It is more difficult to run against a 3-4 but if you run to your weak side of your line (the side with no TE) then it becomes easier. Will not get into the technicallities of why it is easier, just know that it is.

But like I said, if you set up the pass in the first quarter or two, then running the ball is much, MUCH easier.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #11
Rookie

DreSki's Arena

OVR: 2

I dont slide protect i just read the ends mostly but i have found that against good linebacking corps i struggle. Rutgers seems to have my # as well. But heres a couple of runs i did a bit ago against toledo.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/86030219

71 yard run by my FB on a Triple option reverse.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/86030462

70 yard run by my QB on a Power option
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #12
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

I love the running game this year. I play on AA with the CPU's rush defense turned up. I find the quality of your back and line are very important this year (and of course who you're going up against).

I'm playing as Idaho and they have a very nice back in Ryan Bass and a decent O-Line (by WAC standards). Against Texas A&M and Virginia I ended up with 3 and 10 points respectively and my offense sputtered. Against San Jose State Bass exploded for a single game rushing record. Most games fall somewhere in between depending on opponent.

So far through 9 games he's got 1,200 yards and averaging about 5 yards a carry.

One important tip for running is to know what the defense is doing and don't be afraid to audible in/out of the run and switch the direction of the play. If the box is stacked audible to a pass. If the outside is overloaded give to the fullback up the middle. If the defense is pinched in take it outside (an option is nice in that situation).
Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Running game up the middle is too easy, running game outside is hit or miss depending on auto-blitzing corners on certain cover 2/3 plays. If they'd turn off that auto blitz, then a running game could be adjusted with sliders.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I agree with Magicman on the counter of shotgun. Its the most dangerous run play on the game. Like he said, you'd be surprised.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Try using MKHarsh33's slider set. I am having a blast running the ball. A heavy run/option playbook has always been my favorite and using these sliders I get great running results.

I also got my arse handed to me by Georgia Tech in a game as they schooled me in how to run the option. It was great! The fullback was unstoppable. So I see some great running on both sides of the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

I love the running game. In my FSU dynasty I lost my top two RBs and didnt want to take off the resdhisrt on my others. Played my FB at RB and just gashed em from the inside. Just to be weird, Iran a counter outside and because the cpu was overplaying inside, I had the big man rumble for 78 yds. Looked like Marshawn Lynch out there. it was amazing

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »