Home

Created an option offense worksheet/help guide

This is a discussion on Created an option offense worksheet/help guide within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Created an option offense worksheet/help guide

knowing how to run the option is 1 thing.

the blocking assignments in this game for the option are completely and entirely wrong.

Example. Read option, the OL should be reach blocking playside (where the RB is to go)...QB reads the backside DE. He crashes, the QB keeps. He squats, the QB gives. the problem is, the lineman are NOT doing that. They are blocking the man in front of them...ie: Man/Power blocking.

It's the same way on other options. The OL blocking assignments are programmed for that of a power/pro scheme. It's been that way for 3 years. You can run the option, but you have to dumb down the CPU to do it successfully.

Essentially right now, the only type of running game that can be successful is that between the tackles. Pitches and sweeps are absolutely useless because of the psychic AI warping to the corner where the sweep is going. Options are useless, and probably about 80% of the time, draw's are useless.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

I disagree, the blocking may be flawed but I have no problem executing the triple option this year. Once they fix the wide receiver blocking in the patch, the option will be even better.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm
knowing how to run the option is 1 thing.

the blocking assignments in this game for the option are completely and entirely wrong.

Example. Read option, the OL should be reach blocking playside (where the RB is to go)...QB reads the backside DE. He crashes, the QB keeps. He squats, the QB gives. the problem is, the lineman are NOT doing that. They are blocking the man in front of them...ie: Man/Power blocking.

It's the same way on other options. The OL blocking assignments are programmed for that of a power/pro scheme. It's been that way for 3 years. You can run the option, but you have to dumb down the CPU to do it successfully.

Essentially right now, the only type of running game that can be successful is that between the tackles. Pitches and sweeps are absolutely useless because of the psychic AI warping to the corner where the sweep is going. Options are useless, and probably about 80% of the time, draw's are useless.
The blocking is FUBAR in certain areas. Thus the point of the spreadsheet. My point is, if you follow the guidelines in the spreadsheet the option does work. The only option plays that are giving me serious trouble is the read out of the shotgun. The animation just seems too slow. Even if the end crashes, the QB run animation starts too late and he's getting tackled behind the LOS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Pro

wepr3's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf16
Posted this at another site as well and figured I would share.

A lot of people are having a hard-time running the option in this year's version of NCAA 12. Therefore, I went ahead and made a option spreadsheet for those who are struggling. It's very simple. It covers the spread, the flexbone and the I-Form option. It gives you the type of play, the read and the decision you should make. After an hour or so in practice mode, you should be more comfortable with the option offense as a whole.

Just a couple of notes. 1)The option is somewhat ****ed this year. As the animations for the spread offense on read plays, etc. is too slow. I found some success with those plays, but, not a ton. 2) I don't know all the playbooks that have option plays out of the I-Formation. I do know the generic option playbook does though. Plus it also has wishbone & flexbone along with other personnel formations. 3) If you practice with this for 30 mins-1 hour, I honestly think you will see some good results...especially in the flexbone and I-Formation plays. The key is to not be so damn quick with the read. Don't rush the handoff because you think the DE is gonna sit down. Wait till you see the animation then make your decision to keep or not.

Hope it helps any of you struggling with the option! Also, it is a very fun offense to play with. Once you get it down, you can really become a problem for guys online and the CPU on the higher difficulties. Just remember to sprinkle in some pass! If you can annoy people online to cheat up, that's when you audible to all go routes and shred them through the air.

Here is the upload link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=09S7UDCG
Thanks for creating this and sharing with us option-challenged folks.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm
. . . Essentially right now, the only type of running game that can be successful is that between the tackles. Pitches and sweeps are absolutely useless because of the psychic AI warping to the corner where the sweep is going. Options are useless, and probably about 80% of the time, draw's are useless.
I definitely disagree with this. I have much success with sweeps and draw plays. Pitches are a little more difficult as I don't use them as often, so I don't have the reads memorized or anything, but to say sweeps are useless is not accurate. You may not be able to do them, but there are people that have found great success with them.

Also, the Option attack is working well for me; my only problem is that I'm at MTSU and none of their QBs are fast enough to run Option the whole time. In my first year at MTSU, though, my starting QB was out for the year, so I used formation subs to put a safety in my flexbone formations and he did decently (had a decent arm for being a safety). Once the WR blocking and QB acceleration are fixed with the patch, it will be even better.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

Draws are absolutely amazing in this game. You can not run a draw with 8 guys in the box and expect to have it to work. The way to make running in any formation on any play work is to not use the speed burst until you are threw the line. The defense is so much more aggressive after you hit the speedburst. My spread offense is torching kids because running out of the shotgun works when done properly. You have to be patient and run plays vs proper defenses. It all comes back to proper play calling...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »