Home

It's time that super sim is fixed

This is a discussion on It's time that super sim is fixed within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
It's time that super sim is fixed

SuperSim was introduced three or four years ago by the Madden team, and ever since it was introduced, the option has been completely messed up, in regard to how the CPU uses time on the clock. While this has been an issue for four years, it has never been as apparent until NCAA '12 when a primary mode of the game (Dynasty: coaching carousel) involves the player not controlling the clock and having to use super sim.

The CPU super sim takes no time off the clock, it only takes the time off the clock that an actual play uses -- so if a play takes 3 seconds, say, a 1 yard run, then only 3 seconds will run off the clock, instead of 20 - 30. It was one thing when SuperSim was just a back-of-the-box forgotten feature of the games, but now, SuperSim is a critical component, and it is ridiculous to have 14-play 46-second drives. It's just ridiculous. What's even worse is when you you miss a 3rd down and the reasonable thing would be to let the clock run out, say, at the end of the half or a game, but with 30 seconds left, the CPU "coach" punts the ball without letting time run off the clock at all.

I've complained about the SuperSim engine for years, but you'd think that somebody who works on the game would play with SuperSim and realize "oh, wait, this setting is completely screwed up... the CPU does not take any time off the clock." Especially when SuperSim is an integral part of their big "back-of-the-box" coaching carousel mode. It's been about four years since SuperSim has been completely busted, it's time to fix it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: It's time that super sim is fixed

Agreed. I was trying to run out the clock late and couldn't convert on a third and short from inside the 30 with less than 30 seconds. What SHOULD have happened was that the clock ticked out before I needed to snap it on fourth down. Instead, Supersim decided we'd try a field goal, which we missed, and gave the ball to my opponent, who nearly drove down the field to score.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Agreed. Super Sim seems to be largely untouched since it was introduced. The same issues have plagued it, since it's inception.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Agreed. Super Sim seems to be largely untouched since it was introduced. The same issues have plagued it, since it's inception.
Yep. It's very frustrating. It's always been a backburner feature that's repeatedly been ignored since it was implemented, but, now, it's a main feature of the dynasty game because if you do Coaching Carousel as an O.C. or D.C., then you HAVE to SuperSim... and, well, it hurts the game a lot more now. There's not a single game that I play that I don't groan about the CPU going on an 80 yard, 12 play drive, taking up only 1minute 10seconds. It's really unbalances the game.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
Yep. It's very frustrating. It's always been a backburner feature that's repeatedly been ignored since it was implemented, but, now, it's a main feature of the dynasty game because if you do Coaching Carousel as an O.C. or D.C., then you HAVE to SuperSim... and, well, it hurts the game a lot more now. There's not a single game that I play that I don't groan about the CPU going on an 80 yard, 12 play drive, taking up only 1minute 10seconds. It's really unbalances the game.
I completely agree. In my OC dynasty I actually watch the plays when I am on defense. Better results, also helps me with where I need to concentrate my recruiting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
MVP

I hate to spam in my own thread... but I just lost a game because the CPU super sim for my offensive coordinator missed a FG on a 4th and goal from the 10, while the game is tied with 8 seconds left. I set them up by doing "aggressive" play call and running 3 times to setup in the middle of the field for the fourth down kick. I was stupid -- I should have kicked on 3rd down knowing that the CPU would mess something up.

Usually these sorts of coincidences don't happen to me. But... ugh. Went to OT and lost the game.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Rookie

krmarks's Arena

OVR: 5

I too have had the super sim ream me without any lube. I had unranked Utah up 35-31 to #6 USC at USC with 1:05 left. USC had no timeouts and I couldn't get the 3rd and 6 conversion. Utah had the ball 4th and 3 with 1:05 left and did NOT run the clock down before punting, just punted it and gave them the ball which they promptly went 60+ yards in 1 minute to win 38-35 and put my first loss up. UGH!! Any sane coach in the world would have let the clock run down and taken the penalty if necessary, then punted and played mass prevent D.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

The closest supersim has ever worked right is in NFL Head Coach 09.

I know it's the first year to be a coordinator, but it makes it really bad to be a coordinator in dynasties this year. I lost a game this year because of a fg attempt by my kicker. I was up 3 with 1 min left and I ran on 3rd down. I chose to watch the fg attempt with the hope the game would let the clock run down the other 37 seconds on play clock before kicking the ball. The kick was missed but since the attempt was snapped with 30 seconds on play clock the opponent had 50 seconds left to drive field. The opponent drove field and scored TD with 15 seconds left. If the clock runs down given the time left, most likely the opponent gets a tying fg attempt and I see OT.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »