Home

Anybody else burned out?

This is a discussion on Anybody else burned out? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Anybody else burned out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMag
The only thing I think when I see a post like this is 14 year old and too young for a summer job. Some people don't have the time to spend 4 hours a day in practice mode, and if youre like me, your ego will not allow you to play on "easy" difficulty. Not trying to pick a fight, and I'll probably get blasted for this, but I gotta stick up for the casual gamer on here. When there are 4 difficulty modes, you shouldn't have to play on the easiest. If youre dominating on Heisman, pwning nubes, probs wouldn't hurt to get outside and meet some ladies, enjoy the summer weather while its here. But seriously, if the game is too easy for you on heisman, you probably shouldn't be trying to relate to about 98% of the remaining community.

I rarely get to play this game but when I do I still beat the teams I should beat easily and I play on heisman..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMag
The only thing I think when I see a post like this is 14 year old and too young for a summer job. Some people don't have the time to spend 4 hours a day in practice mode, and if youre like me, your ego will not allow you to play on "easy" difficulty. Not trying to pick a fight, and I'll probably get blasted for this, but I gotta stick up for the casual gamer on here. When there are 4 difficulty modes, you shouldn't have to play on the easiest. If youre dominating on Heisman, pwning nubes, probs wouldn't hurt to get outside and meet some ladies, enjoy the summer weather while its here. But seriously, if the game is too easy for you on heisman, you probably shouldn't be trying to relate to about 98% of the remaining community.
Totally agree.

I feel sorry for so many of the people who frequent this board because this game will never make them happy. There is a segment of the population who plays this game more to expose flaws then they do to just try and enjoy a game of football.

Does the game have flaws? Yes. Absolutely. Multiple. But that doesn't change the fact that there IS a good game in there, and this is actually the most I've played an NCAA game in years. Pretty much NCAA 08 through NCAA 11 I would play a couple games, and then barely come back to it. I played 3 games YESTERDAY alone, and for me that's a pretty crazy thing considering my recent history. There is a good, fun game in there but if all you do is obsess on the problems.....then I have no idea why you buy it in the first place.

Yes, this game (and Madden) should both have very high levels of quality considering they are the ONLY games released to represent their sports. But they have flaws. Deal with it. Come here and express your issues with the game in a MATURE manner, and then beyond that......let it go. You have no control over it, no matter how much you want to think you do. The only *real* control you have is not buying the game, and it's been made clear over and over and over again that people are not willing to go that route.

This game is not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the rantings on here indicate. I actually find the gameplay to be one of the *least* troubling things about it, but at the same time I have the lowest expectation of that due to understanding how hard it is to implement that kind of AI. The presentation/options/features/etc are what I generally get disappointed in because that should NOT be difficult to accomplish.

Anyway.....I'm done with my pointless rant. Not like any of it matters. Everyone will just go on doing what they will do. We'll have the same posts here for NCAA 13, 14, 15, etc. I just feel sorry for you guys who find it pretty much impossible to enjoy a GAME about something that you allegedly enjoy. Have issues with the game and offer constructive criticism. Please. But giving yourselves gray hair over something that's nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be accomplishes absolutely nothing.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #27
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy082
I don't work game exploits. I read the defense and run the proper play.

Lost me right there.

The CPU adjusts to what you call. I tried switching a pass to a run audible from the same formation. The CPU realigned itself even though NONE of my players moved an inch. I audibled back to pass, same formation, the CPU realigned again. I did it back and forth 3 or 4 times, it was hilarious, the CPU moved every time. But also pathetic. The CPU defense is programmed not to react but to actually know your playcall. At higher levels it gets worse.

Anyone that thinks you can beat Heisman easily because you know the sport is deluding themselves. You're simply figuring out the CPU programming vulnerabilities and exploiting them, just like those characters on Madden Nation.

I say this having been a gamer since Pong, and a football player through junior college. It is my strong opinion.

As to the gameplay, my single major beef - and it's major - is the CPU's psychic DB's above Frosh level. Even on Varsity horrible DB's will stay glued to your AA receivers on 90% of the plays. IMHO the ratings must be respected below Heisman level (we know they roid up the CPU on Heisman and always have). And it shouldn't be mission impossible to locate an open man on 90% of your plays, particularly when your guys have significant ratings advantages.

Last edited by Old School SD Fan; 08-08-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #28
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan
Lost me right there.

The CPU adjusts to what you call. I tried switching a pass to a run audible from the same formation. The CPU realigned itself even though NONE of my players moved an inch. I audibled back to pass, same formation, the CPU realigned again. I did it back and forth 3 or 4 times, it was hilarious, the CPU moved every time. But also pathetic. The CPU defense is programmed not to react but to actually know your playcall. At higher levels it gets worse.

Anyone that thinks you can beat Heisman easily because you know the sport is deluding themselves. You're simply figuring out the CPU programming vulnerabilities and exploiting them, just like those characters on Madden Nation.
While it's true what you say, isn't that pretty much every video game? You finid the vulnerability in the CPU, and you exploit it. Which, in reality, is the same thing as playing a game against a human. You find out what they can't do well, and you exploit that. I mean that's what happens in real football games.....if Oregon is playing against a team who is very weak against the run.....well you can guess how that game is going to go. They're going to keep running because they know the other team can't stop it.

But the inherent problem is that a CPU opponent will never adapt. If you run that same slant pattern in the middle of the field 10 times in a row, it's a completion 9 out of 10 times. Maybe 10 out of 10. Where as even a somewhat dumb human opponent would pick up on it and you couldn't do that anymore.

This is why I think people just aren't going to get what they want out of this, or any sports game. We as humans will naturally find a weakness in an opponent, and exploit it. When you're playing against an opponent that isn't capable of the same thing, then you get to the point of it not being a challenge. It's not to say that it's impossible to lose to the CPU, but when they're not capable of adjusting, you just have this massive built-in advantage of being able to out think an opponent that's stagnant.

Last edited by mva5580; 08-08-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
While it's true what you say, isn't that pretty much every video game? You finid the vulnerability in the CPU, and you exploit it. Which, in reality, is the same thing as playing a game against a human. You find out what they can't do well, and you exploit that.

But the inherent problem is that a CPU opponent will never adapt. If you run that same slant pattern in the middle of the field 10 times in a row, it's a completion 9 out of 10 times. Maybe 10 out of 10. Where as even a somewhat dumb human opponent would pick up on it and you couldn't do that anymore.

This is why I think people just aren't going to get what they want out of this, or any sports game. We as humans will naturally find a weakness in an opponent, and exploit it. When you're playing against an opponent that isn't capable of the same thing, then you get to the point of it not being a challenge. It's not to say that it's impossible to lose to the CPU, but when they're not capable of adjusting, you just have this massive built-in advantage of being able to out think an opponent that's stagnant.

Of course your point is valid. However, EA was supposed to have developed "adaptive AI" YEARS ago. How well it works, well that's another question.

My only real point is that guys that act like their aren't serious issues with the game because they're undefeated on Heisman for two seasons, just don't "get it" when sim players bitch about the DB/LB issues.

I really don't want to have to keep using the same money plays over and over to win just because the CPU has difficulty defending slot receivers over the middle. This issue is the worst gameplay issue I've seen in awhile, can't recall feeling I couldn't play a decent game on AA or Varsity before this release.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #30
Pro

Quote:
Of course your point is valid. However, EA was supposed to have developed "adaptive AI" YEARS ago. How well it works, well that's another question.

My only real point is that guys that act like their aren't serious issues with the game because they're undefeated on Heisman for two seasons, just don't "get it" when sim players bitch about the DB/LB issues.

I really don't want to have to keep using the same money plays over and over to win just because the CPU has difficulty defending slot receivers over the middle. This issue is the worst gameplay issue I've seen in awhile, can't recall feeling I couldn't play a decent game on AA or Varsity before this release.
I agree, definitely. Their Adaptive AI is only good up to a point, and even then it seems to be temporary. And yes it is wrong for those people to make it sound like there are no issues with the game just because they win. Those are probably the people who would complain if they started losing because the game was playing in a more realistic manner.

I do my best to stop myself from using plays that I'm very confident will work in certain situations (The slant over the middle is most definitely the "main" one for me....just too easy) but at the same time I'm not going to never run it just because I know it will probably work. The CPU has their money plays as well, so to me as long as they're not abused, it evens out.

I'd love to see issues like this corrected, but I just don't think it's ever going to happen. AI in games like this just aren't going to be comparable to the human brain, and even if that DID happen we'd all be screwed anyway as we'd become slaves to robots lol.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #31
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
I think they really need to get rid of difficult and just have the game play to ratings. They should have sliders that actually work and have consistency and clutch ratings along with HFA to make the game challenging.
Perfect solution right there.
Make one level, call it something, and have that be the ultimate default level, with no sliders in favor of the human or CPU, strictly ratings based.
And let us know what slider value means no ratings boost. Is it all the way at 0, or is it in the middle at 50?
If I put all my sliders to 0 are both teams going to look like the bad news bears of football?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Lost me right there.

Anyone that thinks you can beat Heisman easily because you know the sport is deluding themselves. You're simply figuring out the CPU programming vulnerabilities and exploiting them, just like those characters on Madden
Nation.

I say this having been a gamer since Pong, and a football player through junior college. It is my strong opinion.

As to the gameplay, my single major beef - and it's major - is the CPU's psychic DB's above Frosh level. Even on Varsity horrible DB's will stay glued to your AA receivers on 90% of the plays. IMHO the ratings must be respected below Heisman level (we know they roid up the CPU on Heisman and always have). And it shouldn't be mission impossible to locate an open man on 90% of your plays, particularly when your guys have significant ratings advantages.
The AI adjusting to my audibles without my players moving is one of the main reasons this game was making me naucious. I tried to give the game every benefit of the doubt but this was undeniable that the AI knew the exact play you were running even audibles at the line.

I did take your suggestion and played default varsity and noticed that all the boosts were gone. Even the game dumbing down my players was gone. I will probably stay here as it seems to be the closest to strictly ratings based play that exists with this game. It was good to see my team dominate the lines of scrimmage against lesser opponents. It also provided a realistic challenge, having most of my scoring drives take 8+ plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »