Home

Weird BCS/Top 25 Rankings?

This is a discussion on Weird BCS/Top 25 Rankings? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Weird BCS/Top 25 Rankings?

With my created school in the WAC I was able to defeat (barely) #4 Ohio State in week 4 and jump up to the #20 spot in the polls. The next week I beat #3 Boise State in the polls. I only move up to #17, meanwhile Boise State is only dropped to #10. I just beat this team and not by a field goal, I'm talking a 45-20 win and yet they are ranked higher than me. Meanwhile after I beat Ohio State they dropped to #24 in the polls. I don't understand the system the game is using but to me it is messed up.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcordloh
What was your pre-season rank?
Unranked. Finished last season at #25.

I mean other than Oregon, the highest rating of a team I've beaten is a C+. If for some reason I made the National Championship game, I'm tempted to throw the game for realism's sake.

I hope this will correct itself as the season plays out. I'll be sure to update in this thread.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

I've seen plenty of non-AQ teams that are completely unranked at the start of the season end up in the championship game at the end of the year. Seems like the system could use some adjusting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Rookie

johhnywave's Arena

OVR: 3

I've seen two and three loss teams ranked above 1 and undefeated teams.

It's not like one loss Bama ranked against undefeated Boise. It's more, 2 loss Air Force ranked above 1 loss Bama.

Those don't make sense to me. Bama is a 6 prestige, too. I think Air Force is at 5 in my dynasty.

In fact, in my current year, I'm ranked second as a 5 star and undefeated OSU team. Coming of a National Championship... Tenn is ranked first with 1 loss as a 4 prestige school. They jumped me when they beat Bama couple weeks ago (week 8, I think). Weird since I also beat Bama earlier in the season, their only other loss.

My schedule is an A+, too. I normally try to schedule the top 2 ranked teams in the SEC and some highly ranked midmajor that might not lose in their ****ty conference so I can knock them out of contention.

Last edited by johhnywave; 08-10-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Conference prestige seems to play a part sometimes, and other times it doesn't. Someone posted before how they saw OU get jumped by Boise, but the Big 12 has better prestige than the MWC (he hadn't shifted the teams). In testing my classic setups, I see Notre Dame get an advantage at times which makes me think it factors in (they are A+), but then I will see other independents, which have D conference prestige, get ranked ahead of teams with better records. Then I've seen two 11-1 teams from the MWC in a classic setup and one will be ranked top 10 and the other will just get into the top 25, yet the lower team beat the higher ranked one. The lower ranked team makes perfect sense. They played a very poor schedule, but it is usually Boise that keeps the high ranking and they start high so I guess it is understandable.

I would really like to try to reverse engineer their formula, but it's probably insanely difficult as some of the things I've seen don't make sense. But the real formula results don't always make sense either, but at least I know where everything comes from.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #14
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

Well, Alabama just beat Michigan in my dynasty. Alabama jumped up to #1, but I'm still at #2 with much better undefeated and one loss teams behind me.

This is rather frustrating.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccards13
With my created school in the WAC I was able to defeat (barely) #4 Ohio State in week 4 and jump up to the #20 spot in the polls. The next week I beat #3 Boise State in the polls. I only move up to #17, meanwhile Boise State is only dropped to #10. I just beat this team and not by a field goal, I'm talking a 45-20 win and yet they are ranked higher than me. Meanwhile after I beat Ohio State they dropped to #24 in the polls. I don't understand the system the game is using but to me it is messed up.
That one can be explained more as you were a poor team, like Appalachian State whopping Michigan. Michigan dropped out of the top 25, and some people voted for Ap. State to be in the AP top 25. Makes sense with a low FBS school. You beat a high quality team, you get ranked. Moving up just a few after that, well you aren't so lowly regarded now. Late in the season if you thump a high quality team you move up move, especially conference championship week (week 15, title game week, depending on if you have a conference championship or not).

Big wins matter more later than earlier. I've seen teams lose to another team yet stay ahead all year, with even records. As for reverse engineering the formula, I'm not sure, I have tried to figure it out but it makes not sense to me. I sometimes wonder if how the conference is doing as a whole factors into it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcordloh
That one can be explained more as you were a poor team, like Appalachian State whopping Michigan. Michigan dropped out of the top 25, and some people voted for Ap. State to be in the AP top 25. Makes sense with a low FBS school. You beat a high quality team, you get ranked. Moving up just a few after that, well you aren't so lowly regarded now. Late in the season if you thump a high quality team you move up move, especially conference championship week (week 15, title game week, depending on if you have a conference championship or not).
Yeah that does make more sense to me now. But its not good for me because conference play started the week after Boise State and my only competition in the WAC is Nevada. Thankfully they beat Oregon so they are ranked top 15 last time I checked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »