Home

best defense against 4 wide

This is a discussion on best defense against 4 wide within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Rookie

dreneel's Arena

OVR: 4
best defense against 4 wide

Just curious what everybody is doing... Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Banned

AutoMG's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: best defense against 4 wide

Dime, man or zone. Could also use Quarters if you think they are just going to pass and not run.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13

Dime Cover 2 Man......
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

3-3-5 Stack Cover 3 and spread the Linebackers in case they try and run. Use the MLB and cover the run or the middle of the field.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

If it is a balanced 4 WR (SG Spread), I run straight dime Cover 2 Man and manually control the MLB to cover the back or roam the middle of the field. Occasionally I'll get fancy and run Dime 326 Spinner (where the CB blitzes and the FS disguises his coverage before rotating to the X WR). I very rarely blitz against 4 WR, but if I do, it is a zone blitz out of Nickel 335.

If it is an unbalanced 4 WR (SG Trips, Quads), I run either Dime Cover 1 and manually play robber with the MLB (shuts 4 Verts down) or I run a straight zone with the safeties and LB's shifted to the trips side.

My base defensive playbook is a custom book with 425 and 335, but since neither one of those formations works well in man coverage vs. unbalanced formations, I go straight nickel or dime when people spread the field.

Last year, my base defense was 4-3 with a CB/SS (Eric Hagg) playing Peso and lined up at outside linebacker. So when I went Dime, I would use the LOLB @ MLB package to put him at LB, essentially giving me a Quarters look out of Dime without having to go to 3 down linemen. If you have the DB's to do that, I HIGHLY recommend it, gives you speed and coverage without sacrificing the 4 linemen.

Get creative with the packages too, I believe Nickel and Dime both have packages to put your best corners in the slot, which is very helpful against users, since the majority of users only throw to inside WR's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMHIII
3-3-5 Stack Cover 3 and spread the Linebackers in case they try and run. Use the MLB and cover the run or the middle of the field.
Verts tear that up. I just played a clown who did this nonstop against my 4WR set.... here's the outcome

Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

I'm loving the 4-2-5
Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViLLiO
Verts tear that up. I just played a clown who did this nonstop against my 4WR set.... here's the outcome

Hard to stop Verts no matter what. Like you suggested, Dime Man Cover Two would be good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »