Home

The U

This is a discussion on The U within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #25
Pro

superxero27's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The U

The death penalty has been implemented by the NCAA five times since it's inceprion, twice in the years since SMU, but SMU remains the only football program to be killed. Yes college football has changed since the late 80s in many ways, but in some ways it remained the same. Allegations of paying players, shady recruiting practices and whatnot have been around for a long time, and it's one of football's worst best kept secrets.
If the NCAA wants to be taken seriously, they need to start bringing down the hammer. The facts of this case remain to be fully sorted out, but if everything brought forward is true and Miami qualifies as a repeat violater, then they should get death. The SMU death penalty worked in the sense that it showed how severe the punishment could be. I don't think for a minute that it would take Tha U 20 years to recover (their location, their tradition, and parity come into play).
By saying that they won't use the penalty again (at least for money sports; the two more recent cases were in baseball and tennis) the NCAA have pulled out any teeth that the rule might have. Football brings in the majority of profits to athletic departments nationwide, but money shouldn't be a factor when it comes to rule enforcement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #26
Rookie

DiSaStAx94's Arena

OVR: 4

There is no way they can give Miami anything besides either the death penalty or a ridiculous amount of sanctions that's most likely unheard of until now. You can't give bootsers the ability to give their teams 10+ years to win by cheating like this then only penalize them for two years, every team would be doing it on this scale (if they aren't already) in a heartbeat. It's risk/reward, and they need to establish enough of a risk to not make it worthwhile.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #27
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackson16
Death penalty applies to repeat violators and can include elimination the involved sport for at least 1 year.
A school is a repeat violator if an 2nd major violation occurs within 5 years.
Back in 2003 the baseball had the same problem, so if this happen with the football and basketball team from 2002-2010 they would over lap and in theory should be given the death penalty. for the second violation dosent have to be in the same sport
finally someone else who understands why the death penalty is being thrown around. LOIC is a given since they are already on probation during this period.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #28
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Ha ha. If/when the u gets delt, they may no longer be a sports eligeble university.

Wow. They F'd worse than anyone has ever seen.

Pick a new team?

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 0

If there lounge was named after him (albeit temporarily) they had to have known about him.

An interesting point I saw on ESPN is that since he was paying players from the Wilfork/McGahee days, these violations (some of them) would have taken place while the football teams was still on probation. So even without the whole baseball team incident, they would still be repeat offenders while on probation. That is what did SMU in (commiting more violations while already on probation) and it most likely will do Miami (FL) in as well. That whole retreat last week was to tighten the ship and they know they need to make a big point fast to keep things in check.

To create a cool death penalty dynasty, I would then make all the players on the team Sr's and then not recruit players for 3 seasons at all so I will have all walk-ons. And then I will restrict the number of recruits they can get each year so that it will take ten additional seasons before they can get a full 25 man class or recruit any player higher than a 3*. In my dynasty I will probably make them be an independent for 3 years while only playing FCS/sun belt schools. Of course to survive this, coaching contracts must be off. Should take roughly 20 years to get them back to the point where they can even compete in a conference.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #30
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
This is where the NCAA would finally be able to show that they can grow a set. Not to be crude, but they have been lacking to say the least when it comes to holding all teams to the same level of accountability.

With the allegations there really isn't ANY other direction they can go with this. I think big time programs are doomed after this.
Look at the last two cases of the NCAA administering the death penalty. Morehouse College in Division II got it on their first infraction. They signed two players who had played professionally in soccer.

The other case is MacMurry College tennis. The school is D-III and was given the penalty for trying to obtain scholarships for players which is not allowed in D-III. This was also a first time offense for the school.

The NCAA is more reluctant to use the major punishments on big time programs but has less thought when they punish the smaller schools. I don't like to say the NCAA is being a bully but they sure aren't being very fair to me.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #31
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by superxero27
The death penalty has been implemented by the NCAA five times since it's inceprion, twice in the years since SMU, but SMU remains the only football program to be killed. Yes college football has changed since the late 80s in many ways, but in some ways it remained the same. Allegations of paying players, shady recruiting practices and whatnot have been around for a long time, and it's one of football's worst best kept secrets.
If the NCAA wants to be taken seriously, they need to start bringing down the hammer. The facts of this case remain to be fully sorted out, but if everything brought forward is true and Miami qualifies as a repeat violater, then they should get death. The SMU death penalty worked in the sense that it showed how severe the punishment could be. I don't think for a minute that it would take Tha U 20 years to recover (their location, their tradition, and parity come into play).
By saying that they won't use the penalty again (at least for money sports; the two more recent cases were in baseball and tennis) the NCAA have pulled out any teeth that the rule might have. Football brings in the majority of profits to athletic departments nationwide, but money shouldn't be a factor when it comes to rule enforcement.
Relax, they do not deserve the Death Penalty. No one does. They need to adjust the rules to let players get some money in there pockets.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #32
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsbuck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)

The SMU football program is the one you'll want to take a look at.

Doesn't matter though. I think one guy said it best when he compared the death penalty to the nuclear bomb... once the NCAA saw what it did to SMU, they won't use it again.
The NCAA rep who made the death penalty announcement against SMU actually fainted after his press conference lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »