Home

Is there a way to stop the psychic playcalling/audibling?

This is a discussion on Is there a way to stop the psychic playcalling/audibling? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Is there a way to stop the psychic playcalling/audibling?

There's no logic to AI play calling. Defenses don't choose plays based on personnel matchups, down and distance, or offensive style. On offense, the AI doesn't call strategic plays either, often calling run plays while losing with little time left.

That's just how NCAA/Madden is.

The only way for EA devs to make the game challenging is to implement AI cheats. Defenses need to know what play you're running, since they can't make reads or react to the offense in a realistic manner.

It's the same with the psychic db's and super lb's. The devs couldn't program a read and react defensive system that was realistically challenging, so they just programmed the defense to cheat the user.

For their credit, the devs tried hard to make the AI cheating as subtle as possible. I'm sure most "casuals" don't ever notice this issue.

This illusory sense of strategy is what makes NCAA/Madden challenging. Without a cheating AI system, it would be too easy to game the defense, since the defense knows nothing about football strategy, and wouldn't be able to react to audibles.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Is there a way to stop the psychic playcalling/audibling?

Something to keep in mind before reading all of this: I never dl'd the patch. So I have unpatched gameplay.

Things I've found:

1) Don't run no huddle. For some reason, this happens when running no huddle.

2) When I don't run no huddle, this does not happen. Period. If there is player movement in the defensive backs before the audible is called, they will reset once you call the audible, and then move again. This is not true for the linebackers... they don't reset.

For example: I run out of Shotgun 4wr trio roughly 75% of the time. All of my audibles are set out of that formation. Most of the time the defense comes out in a dime or quarter, but I've noticed some of the better teams will come out in a nickel. Anyway...

I call that Four Verticals play and notice the defense comes out in a quarter. The MLB moves to his left to cover the slot receiver. Now I audible to a QB blast play. The LB stays and the defense does nothing.

Same scenario including the LB moving, except this time before I audible, the SS creeps up toward the line while the FS moves to cover center field better. I do the same audible. Now the LB stays put, but the safeties reset. If I wait a few seconds, they'll do the same thing again.

The only time I've had an issue with what the OP is talking about is when the situation is something like 2nd and 3, and I call a running play out of a 4wr set. Then it seems about 50-50 as to if they'll come out in a 4-3 or a dime. In that case, I quick audible, burn them, and feel not one ounce guilty about it.

Now, if you try and run no huddle like this, the defense will respond to your audibles. But if you go back to the huddle every time, they won't.

It's almost annoying because it makes that QB blast and the HB off tackle almost too effective.

3) I've found that the defense will play zone on me all day until I call a screen pass. Then it seems like they call man defense 99% of the time (which, as you know, sucks for screen passes).

*I actually think this NCAA does a tremendous job of actually matching up personnel as well as keeping down & distance in mind. NCAA '11 was terrible about it and only did down & distance (which made my spread option way more pass heavy, as opposed to it being way run heavy this year). After the patch, it may change things, but as of right now, I am very happy with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »