Home

NCAA Gamers: Don't Forget Where You Come From

This is a discussion on NCAA Gamers: Don't Forget Where You Come From within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #41
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: NCAA Gamers: Don't Forget Where You Come From

I'm 35 years old and still remember playing the 1st and 10 game for the Atari and 10 Yard Fight for the Nintendo. Let's face it guys, in this day and age of patches and message boards, games will never be what they were to us growing up and even in my 20s, or at least they won't to me. Before the internet and game patches, games had bugs and glitches but we didn't pay as much attention to them as we do now because we weren't constantly reading about them and looking for them. Back then games were just simple and fun. Even thinking back to NCAA Football 2004 for the PS2, which is an all-time favorite of mine, I wasn't on a message board daily reading about all of the problems with the game and waiting on a patch. I was playing the hell out of the game and enjoying every second of it for what it was.

I remember the jaw dropping amazement and excitement that I experienced from stepping up from a PS1 football game to a PS2 one and how much more fun it was and how much better it looked. Controlling the players felt right and so much better than it did on the PS1. Now I think about moving up from the PS2 to the PS3 and basically being disgusted and disappointed every year since because the football experience just isn't what it should be or what I expect. Quite honestly sometimes the PS3 player movement reminds me of the PS1 days where the guys all felt light and uncontrollable and everyone moved the same regardless of weight and position. Whenever NCAA Football 12 for the PS3 came out and guys like myself are pulling out the PS2 and NCAA 2004 & 2005 for their college fix only a few weeks later, there's definitely a problem there. I just wish EA would get it right now and make these football games FUN again.

Last edited by crques; 08-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #42
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Same generation of gamer here as well.

Great memories of those genesis EA football games. They were groundbreaking back then.

NCAA 12 is the best college video football game I have ever played despite the bugs which will be addressed via patch.

Madden 12 will be the best NFL video game I have ever played. I am highly confident of that.

The sports games today are simply amazing.

I am in disbelief at all the rage, hate and venom spewed about the games we play today. They are just so damn good.

I remember keeping stats on loose leaf paper in a stinking 3 ring binder for Bases Loaded 2.

My goodness the new gen gamers don't know how good they have it.

Video games in general today are just flat out astonishing.

Looking back at these vids along with my personal memories...and looking at the games I play today...it's amazing how far they've come no doubt.

I can remember the Atari game where you could run out the back of the screen and show up in front again. Shoot, 10 Yard Fight only had like 6 to a team. The first Bill Walsh didn't even have the NCAA license. The college football game for the Super Nintendo had every team but no NCAA license. If I went into storage I could find numerous notebooks with stats and recruiting classes.

Comparing games now and then is kinda like comparing NBA Superstars from dirrerent eras. it's hard to do because different game/different system/different era. For that time, those games were "IT". They had stuff we hadn't seen before. The games on PS1 had stuff we never saw on Atari, Colleco and Intellivision. PS2 had stuff we hadn't seen on PS1 and so forth.

The MAIN ISSUE with NCAA games now is this...at least to me...

It's like fast food...it's good but unfulfilling. It leaves a lot to be desired. We all see the potential and beauty of this game...yet we see so much wrong and what it doesn't have. It makes you wanna pull your hair out. Then when you see stuff...good stuff that was in the game in '97 that never made it back in 2012 you wonder why. When you hear the same commentary in '01 that you do in '12 you wonder why.

The game has come along way from it's beginning...but I'm still at the table waiting for the full course instead of the appetizer.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #43
Ride on Kentucky Kid

doubledeuceR6's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I remember keeping stats on loose leaf paper in a stinking 3 ring binder for Bases Loaded 2.
I'm 34 and that brings back some memories. I spent hours upon hours with that game. My dad would even sit down and go at it with me on that game.

It's astonishing how little the EA's NCAA title has changed at the core. It's great that they add new animations but they never seem to update the old ones. And I just shake my head in frustration with the commentary. I have no problem with the commentators themselves, it's just the way it's presented. I miss Lee Corso as well!
Twitter: @CQRDeuce @CQRclub
www.cqrclub.co.uk
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #44
Pro

OVR: 2

Oh man... you guys are old like me.

I think some of my frustration comes from feeling like they could make a perfect game. So much of this game is absolutely spectacular. I love this game, I do. I'm not one who thinks they need to 'blow it up and start again.' I think they're heartbreakingly close to perfect and they flirt with it, but don't deliver. If they just expanded the slider set and then made the sliders work, they'd please just about everyone - assuming the online dynasty worked as intended.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »