Home

Isn't it about time recruiting get's overhauled?

This is a discussion on Isn't it about time recruiting get's overhauled? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Isn't it about time recruiting get's overhauled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan04103
I really enjoyed the recruiting when you assigned a HC, AC, phonecall and after that it would reveal a few tidbits about the recruit such as...
The kid is stronger than our records indicate or...
His arm isn't as strong as we thought
I loved that part of recruiting on the PS2 version(s)!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 5

Recruiting is waaaaaaaaaay to complicated. Dont get me wrong, im great at it and i understand the nuances of the system and everything but week in week out its just become a chore. I thought the old system on Ps2 worked great. Allocate your time however you wanted. Choose your own pitch. Quickly scan thru any scouting info and player feedback like what # a recruit wants and playing time promises all within 15 seconds per recruit. Simple . Quick. Implemented well. Dont know who asked for the roulette system but it sucks and most people dont completely understand how it works. I have never read a post or wishlist where someone begged for you to not have any control over pitches. Huh?
My problem with the series is that all these ideas are great, but in the long run BIG BEN HAUMILLER is gonna do what he wants. Cant stand the direction hes taken the series with his damn gimmicks. Weve had the same awful back juke for 4 years now. ****ing ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #35
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

I didn't like CHoops recruiting. It felt way too detached. You click a button and it's done and you had no set way to ensure it went bad or good aside from a near guaranteed good call from good coaches and bad coaches always making bad calls. If they found a balance that would be nice but I don't want to see them go completely hands off like Choops was. It was a bit too simplified for me aside from a few deeper nuances related to positional and locational preferences that players showcased.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #36
Rookie

I think a simply quick fix to the time consumption issue of recruiting would be to be able to choose your minutes for each player and how hard they are recruited each week. And then have the action pop up after each week with a short report of what's going on so that you know if you need to step in manually or not.

I hate having the computer recruiting both my 1 star fullback and punter hard while I not going after my 5 star talent with a full session.
The only thing I can do to combat this now is only have 10 players on my board each week but in reality I have 3-4 program changers I REALLY want an then a slew of 20 guys that id like to give 1-3 minutes every week WITHOUT having to go in after every week and clicking his name with 2 min quick call. Rinse wash repeat.

Also, I really like the idea of having a HC/OC/DC recruiting rating and I think this could add the most depth to the game as anything else I could possibly conjure.

EA could develop a system similar to now but make it to where the HC only is only allowed 5 conversations a week, the OC/DC get 20 and you can dictate based on your Cordinators recruiting strength and the number of offense and defensive players that are on your recruiting board.

I guess the real ticket is giving coaches recruiting ratings much like teams have prestige ratings. This recruiting rating could automatically mean that a every pitch you have is in correlation with what your pitching with a multiplier of what your coaches recruiting rating is.
EXAMPLE:
-Your Kentucky's head coach and your recruiting rating is 80/100
An you pitching B+ exposure to a player with MOST priority. Your coaches recruiting rating mixed with the pitch would give you 70-85 ranged gain.
-now your nick saban with a 97/100 recruiting rating pitching B+ exposure to a player with MOST and you get a 95-110 range gain.

But keep in mind that the recruiting rating fluctuates year to year based off of how your classes finish and if you filled needs. You could make it even more dynamic by fluctuating the rating by if you signed personel that matches your philosophy such as Spread, option, one back ect ect.

I don't know, there's alot of great ideas in this thread. But really there needs to be a way to make the process shorter AND more in depth which is a tall order to fill my friends.

But to be honest, EA should focus on retooling one thing every year instead of a bunch of little things every year. And I believe a gameplay overhaul should be first, then recruiting in second for sure.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
Pro

PRAY IV M3RCY's Arena

OVR: 4

Be careful what yall wish for..Asking for the recruiting time to be less may give EA the go ahead to make that part of dynasty mode bare bones as can be..Just saying..
Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #38
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

Thumbs up Re: Isn't it about time recruiting get's overhauled?

Two cents:

1. I like the idea of time restraints like CHoops has. In football, it's a bit different because teams (usually) have just one game every seven days. So there will have to be a different way to utilize a time-based system. My idea for that is to have 20 hours per week split between the HC, DC and OC. The player can then spend however much they want on things like recruiting, film study and scouting. That would require a good staff to be balanced in what they do.

2. Speaking of balance, there needs to be an effective way to incorporate the DC and OC in terms of the player being a HC. As it stands, there are systems (and schools) tied to coordinators, but nothing else; and there is nothing once the player becomes HC. Allow the HC to hire/fire the coordinators, and expand what they do. In conjunction with No. 1 above, give each OC and DC an area of expertise. Are you, as HC, a QB guru? Then maybe you want your OC to be good with linemen. Are you John Fox, Jr.? Then maybe your DC isn't as important position wise then he is recruiting wise. Basically, the breakdown per coach would be:
  • Role: HC, OC, DC (keep playbooks tied so there are unique systems)
  • Specialty: QB guru, RB, WR, OL; DL, LB, DB
  • Recruiting grade: Can be an overall deal, but I'd rather see it split along Specialty grades. Heavy influence for top-of-the-line coaches at a particular position.
3. Finally, my ideas for recruiting in general:
  • Get rid of the random pitch, and allow the player to direct it. You can use each pitch only once per call, so it's still possible to pitch bad grades. Doing this replaces the "Coaches Choice" with a random "Players Choice." This would allow the recruit to change the topic to one of his Highs-Most and maybe add bonus points if it matches up well with your school. If it doesn't, you lose points. If your school is a 'D', you lose a lot of points.
  • Get rid of the meter, and go to a text based system that matters (and makes sense). Tell me if I'm in the Top 10, 5 or 3, but don't tell me I'm No. 1 unless the recruit wants to commit.
  • Make feedback matter. It's been said here a bunch. The replies from recruits are asinine.
That'll do for now.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
Why r u recruiting 35 ppl at once?
Good point. I generally target 11 or 12 players off the bat; that gets everyone 5 comments on your call. Spending that much time really gives you an edge against the computer; often you'll have most of that first crop signed by week 8, and be working on a second set. By signing day, I can have 25 guys locked up.

By the 3rd year of my franchise, I don't NEED a big class- why recruit a bunch of guys that will eventually get cut?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »