Home

Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do?

This is a discussion on Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do?

So I have a few things I'd like to discuss and understand. Since EA gives us NOTHING in terms of descriptions about the functionality of most player attributes and tendencies, let's have a pow-wow and see if we can't get to the bottom of these lingering questions.

1. What does player tendency effect?
My understanding is that player tendency is only a description of the player. So, a speed HB will be "faster" and a power HB will be "Stronger". I've seen "speed" back with less speed than "power" backs. Does this actually effect the play of the player? I've received conflicting answers.
If the answer is that player tendency is only a description of the player, then we need not go any further. If the answer is, player tendency effects the player's on field performance, let's discuss what each tendency does.

2. Which attributes are used in SIM and which are used during game play?
I remember reading in the past that some attributes are only used in SIM and other are only used in game play. Does anybody have any insight into this? I'm fairly sure that Run Block is only used in SIM and things like Run Block Strength and Run Block Footwork are only used in game play. Let's list these and get a confirmation:

I will update the below information as more becomes available/clear on what exactly each tendency does and which attributes are used for SIM or Game Play.

ATTRIBUTES:

Skills:
Speed = Game Play
Acceleration = Game Play
Agility = Game Play
Strength = Game Play
Jumping = Game Play

Running:
Break Tackle = SIM
Trucking = Game Play
Elusiveness = Game Play
Stiff Arm = Game Play
Spin Move = Game Play
Juke Move = Game Play
Carrying = ???
Ball Carrier Vision = ???

Blocking:
Run Block = SIM
Run Block Strength = Game Play
Run Block Footwork = Game Play
Pass Block = SIM
Pass Block Strength = Game Play
Pass Block Footwork = Game Play
Impact Blocking = ???

Catching:
Catching = ???
Spectacular Catching = Game Play
Catch in Traffic = Game Play
Route Running = Game Play
Release = Game Play

Tackling:
Tackle = ???
Hit Power = Game Play

Defense Engaged:
Power Move = Game Play
Finesse Move = Game Play
Block Shedding = ???

Coverage:
Man Coverage = Game Play
Zone Coverage = Game Play
Press = Game Play

Throwing:
Throw Power = Game Play
Throw Accuracy = Game Play

Kicking:
Kick Power = Game Play
Kick Accuracy = Game Play

Returning:
Return = ???

Miscellaneous:
Awareness = ???
Play Recognition = ???
Pursuit = Game Play
Stamina = Game Play
Injury = Game Play

TENDENCIES:

QB:
Scrambler - how often the QB scrambles when the play breaks down
Pocker Passer - ???

HB:
Power - ???
Speed - ???

FB:
Blocking - ???
Receiving - ???

WR:
Speed - ???
Possession - ???

TE:
Blocking - ???
Receiving- ???

OL:
Pass Blocking - ???
Run Blocking - ???

DL:
Pass Rusher - ???
Run Stopper - ???

LB:
Coverage: ???
Run Stopper: ???

DB:
Coverage: ???
Hard Hitter: ???

K/P:
Power - ???
Accurate - ???

Last edited by nortobc; 08-31-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
MVP

nova91's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do?

Tendencies are screwed up, I have seen a Pocket Passer QB with 900+ rushing yards and multiple 100+ yard games.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do?

Awareness is used in both game play (when your not controlling a player) and in sim.

Tendancies are actually how a player plays which is pretty dumb, the roster glitch proved it. Players don't play to their attributes but to their tendancy. IE a 80 speed QB will run as much as a 99 speed QB if they both are scramblers.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Tendencies affect how CPU controlled players (for both your team and CPU coached teams) play. IE. a "scrambler" QB will often tuck and run at the first sign of daylight and/or first sign that everyone is blanketed while "balanced" and "pocket passers" will stay in the pocket for much, much longer before taking off. I've read that "power" and "speed" backs will attempt different types of moves (ie. trucking vs. juke) but I haven't seen/tested this personally.

In game ratings:
PMV = effectiveness of power moves
FMV = effectiveness of finesse moves
RBS/PBS = effectiveness of countering PMVs on runs and passes
RBF/PBF = effecitiveness of countering FMVs on runs and passes
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

In general my overiding beef with EA football titles is ratings have FAR too little impact on gameplay, a fraction of what levels and sliders have.

In my book, if you line up a 99 WR against a 65 corner he should be ripping him all day. A 90 DT against a 70 OL again should feast.

Just never translates that way on the virtual gridiron with EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Tendencies affect how CPU controlled players (for both your team and CPU coached teams) play. IE. a "scrambler" QB will often tuck and run at the first sign of daylight and/or first sign that everyone is blanketed while "balanced" and "pocket passers" will stay in the pocket for much, much longer before taking off. I've read that "power" and "speed" backs will attempt different types of moves (ie. trucking vs. juke) but I haven't seen/tested this personally.
Here is the problem. We are still guessing if tendencies even have an impact on the game, and what they are. So if tendencies have an impact, then how would you explain SS tendencies of coverage vs hard hitter? Does the hard hitter SS not cover a WR? Does the coverage SS not hit a RB? I've seen coverage SS with higher hit power than some hard hitting SS. Who is the better hitter? The guy with the tendency or the guy with the higher attribute?

Do tendencies trigger certain animations? My question is, how does tendency functionally effect the player?

Why doesn't EA have a manual that explains all of this?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
In game ratings:
PMV = effectiveness of power moves
FMV = effectiveness of finesse moves
RBS/PBS = effectiveness of countering PMVs on runs and passes
RBF/PBF = effecitiveness of countering FMVs on runs and passes
I think RBK and PBK are only used in SIM.

What about ELU?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan
In general my overiding beef with EA football titles is ratings have FAR too little impact on gameplay, a fraction of what levels and sliders have.

In my book, if you line up a 99 WR against a 65 corner he should be ripping him all day. A 90 DT against a 70 OL again should feast.

Just never translates that way on the virtual gridiron with EA.

Completely agree. Although this might be a result of certain ratings have little affect on how well a players plays, yet these same ratings significantly affect the player's overall rating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »