Home

Read Option dead?

This is a discussion on Read Option dead? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #17
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Read Option dead?

I can occasionally run the read option but the read option pass works so much better.

even then I have switched to running the Read/PA pass from the wildcat spread formation, where the RB is lined up in the slot and comes in motion at the snap. that way he is already at full speed for the read, if the DE stays at home I can either pass or run with the QB and if the DE dives in I just hand it off for a double digit run.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 2

Yeah, the option was better last year, as were screens. It is very frustrating. I'm not looking for cheap plays that work all day, I want a good give and take, but a big chunk of the play book feels like it works too well or doesn't work at all. To be fair, running blocking is much better on most plays this year and I'm enjoying the scaled back RB moves. I think that corner shooting in 'glitch/cheat' has ruined some of the outside stuff, though.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMG
I run slow with zero threshold and break off solid runs but I do occasionally see the super pivot to get the QB.
The Speed Threshold will cover up a lot of issues.

But it is misleading to say you have no issues running it and then say you have the threshold at zero and slow speed. At zero you probably do not have issues with much at all. People are usually referring to default or marginally adjusted settings. It is like saying you have no issues with the game and then say you play on JV.

Good acceleration on your QB and RB will help a lot with the Read Option but the game does run differently than last year.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEFxxROCKEM
That's not the problem. What usually happens is after you make the read, the DL that you were reading makes the play on the RB and QB or someone on the DL does the peak-a-boo swim move and makes the tackle
Lay off the sprint button.

I know you shouldn't have to, but it works.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDeeze
Sliders are the key to read option success this year. I hate the "sliders will fix it" answer that runs wild on these boards, because sliders fail to address any number of the actual gameplay problems, but it helps a ton with read option. "Power Of Red 25 QUOTE"

What are your's set at?

There should probably be a different blocking slider for Option Plays in all honesty though. Fumbles as well.
Heisman
Normal Game Speed
Speed Threshold is 40 (I wanted it lower, but was vetoed)

QB Accuracy: 40-40
Pass Blocking: 65-45
WR Catching: 50-50
RB Ability: 55-55
Run Blocking: 50-45
Pass Coverage: 50-40
Pass Rush: 55-35
Interceptions: 35-35
Rush Defense: 55-45
Tackling: 55-50
FG Power: 50-50
FG Accuracy: 25-40
Punt Power: 45-50
Punt Accuracy: 30-75
KO Power: 50-50

I agree that an option slider would be be nice, because the problem is that there is a fine line on the run block slider between making spread option work and making power run TOO powerful. Where we have the sliders now is about that line, because I run a hybrid offense and I actually find more success running spread run than power run, no idea why. It is so hard to design sliders to cover the wide range of offensive schemes.

Independent of sliders though is that the spread rushing attack is just horribly designed. The blocking is wrong, the footwork of both the QB and back is wrong, the play designs are wrong and the lack of corresponding plays off the read make it very tough to run the offense as it is intended. I've been forced to make mine a power spread game and just get bodies in front of my backs and push forward, that is obviously the opposite of what you want in a true spread rushing attack, but that's the only way it works for me. My scheme looks more like the I out of a gun alignment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

I find that QBs with high acceleration are Read Option gods. It seems that Defensive Ends with high AWR can snuff out it though. If you're having trouble with a defensive end, switch the play-side.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavner
Yeah, the option was better last year, as were screens. It is very frustrating. I'm not looking for cheap plays that work all day, I want a good give and take, but a big chunk of the play book feels like it works too well or doesn't work at all. To be fair, running blocking is much better on most plays this year and I'm enjoying the scaled back RB moves. I think that corner shooting in 'glitch/cheat' has ruined some of the outside stuff, though.
That's the problem right there. It isn't so much that the read option works or doesn't, it is that the rest of the plays really do not work while others work way too much to the point of abuse.

When I made my custom playbook, I had to go in and just cut every play that I knew didn't work and unfortunately, that is a ton of plays. Traditional constraint plays in the spread rushing attack like bubble screens do not work at all. The passing game off the fake read option is awful because the PA Read play is basically the same in every formation and the animation takes your QB into the pass rush. There are so many pass plays in the game that develop so slowly that you just cannot run them against any sort of pass rush. Then you have your four verticals of the world which work every time, all the time.

The playbooks and individual plays need a major overhaul before you can run a true to life, competent scheme.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »