Home

Where Can I Find the Meaning of Player Attributes?

This is a discussion on Where Can I Find the Meaning of Player Attributes? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Where Can I Find the Meaning of Player Attributes?

I want to keep this thread going and possibly STICKIED! This is the biggest part of the game and we need to find out. Here is what I have so far.

Blocking interaction:

***IMPORTANT - The defensive players decides which attributes to use.***
Either power or finesse. I believe this is where tendency comes into play. Ex: if a defender is a "Pass Rusher" he will use finesse moves. If he is a "Run Stopper" he will use power moves. I'm not sure how a CB determines which attributes to use because his tendency has nothing to do with shedding blocks.

The attributes that are used when 2 players are interlocked/blocking are:
Power -
Defender: Strength + Power Move
Blocker: Strength + (Run Block Strength, if running play or Pass Block Strength, if passing play)

Finesse -
Defender: Agility + Finesse Move
Blocker: Agility + (Run Block Footwork, if running play or Pass Block Footwork, if passing play)

Attributes such as Run Blocking and Pass Blocking are ONLY USED IN SIM. Awareness has minimal, if any effect, in game play. I think block shedding is mainly used in SIM as well.

Last edited by nortobc; 09-14-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

Some other attributes that I wonder about are:

Impact blocking... When and why does this happen and what the hell is it? Does it have to do with choosing certain line shifts?

Ball Carrier Vision: Not sure what this does either. From the name wouldn't it almost be the same as Awareness?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd689

Impact blocking... When and why does this happen and what the hell is it? Does it have to do with choosing certain line shifts?
From my understanding, Impact Blocking is how well a block is executed in a key situation. Ex: goalline or 3rd and short

Quote:
Ball Carrier Vision: Not sure what this does either. From the name wouldn't it almost be the same as Awareness?
I believe BCV is used when trying to avoid contact. This might be countered by a defenders Play Recognition. Similar to a WRs Route Running vs a CBs Man Defense.

I think each offensive and defensive player has a couple of attributes that are used in specific situations. We just need to:

1. identify the situations

2. which attributes are used by both offense and defense it above situations
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Impact Blocking is the rating that determines the frequency of pancake blocks. Unforunately, pancakes are not counted correctly in the statistics during gameplay. However, there are pancake blocks that occur during games and these are typically determined by the Impact Blocking rating. If you see an OL put a DL on their back at the line, then it is likely because they have a high Impact Blocking rating.

Ball Carrier Vision is a rating that is used to determine how often AI controlled ball carriers hit the right holes or take the "best" path to avoid defenders. This is primarily a QB and HB driven rating. HB's with high BCV ratings will run more like real-world HB's by attacking holes created by their linemen and taking angles away from defenders in the open field. HB's with low BCV ratings will typically run straight ahead or run into crowded areas.

The BCV rating is practically useless for human controlled teams unless games are simulated.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Impact Blocking is the rating that determines the frequency of pancake blocks. Unforunately, pancakes are not counted correctly in the statistics during gameplay. However, there are pancake blocks that occur during games and these are typically determined by the Impact Blocking rating. If you see an OL put a DL on their back at the line, then it is likely because they have a high Impact Blocking rating.

Ball Carrier Vision is a rating that is used to determine how often AI controlled ball carriers hit the right holes or take the "best" path to avoid defenders. This is primarily a QB and HB driven rating. HB's with high BCV ratings will run more like real-world HB's by attacking holes created by their linemen and taking angles away from defenders in the open field. HB's with low BCV ratings will typically run straight ahead or run into crowded areas.

The BCV rating is practically useless for human controlled teams unless games are simulated.

Thank you so much for the help. I figured the BCV rating was pointless.
Seriously you should write a damn sticky that outlines your knowledge of the rating system.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #14
Just started!

OVR: 0

This thread is great but is there an actual list anywhere of what each attribute means? Most of them I think I have a handle on, but there are still a few I'm a little puzzled by.

Like agility? Does it matter if your center has any? Is it just side to side speed?

And elusiveness? What's the difference between that and break tackle?

Pursuit is another one. Does it determine the speed of pursuit at all? Or just effort or lack there of?

Anyway, i'd love it if someone could help me out. This is my 1st post but I've been lurking around here before. There's a group of us that still play the online dynasty and hopefully some year soon we'll have a new game to play.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #15
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Keep in mind, there are several ratings that do not matter for USER controlled players. Such as AWR (awareness) and BCV (ball carrier vision).

I noticed that Play Recognition determines how well a player recognizes what the play is. I.E. an outside run, a pass, etc etc etc. AWR effects HOW they react. My best examples are how my FS reacts, with mid 60's AWR, but 79 play recognition:

On a regular run or pass, he reacts very quick. On a run, he jumps toward the LOS in support. On pass, he immediately drops to his zone. This is likely related to good play recognition.

On play action, he may take an extra second before realizing he needs to drop into coverage instead of attack the run. This is likely poor AWR, since my SS, although may bite on the run a bit, recognizes it almost right away and drops back, his AWR is mid 80's.

Again, on pass, if the QB takes off for a scramble, my FS does not come up in run support until the QB is 10 yards down field. My CB (91 overall, high AWR), will attack the QB as soon as he passes the LOS.

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #16
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackhouse33
This thread is great but is there an actual list anywhere of what each attribute means? Most of them I think I have a handle on, but there are still a few I'm a little puzzled by.

Like agility? Does it matter if your center has any? Is it just side to side speed?

And elusiveness? What's the difference between that and break tackle?

Pursuit is another one. Does it determine the speed of pursuit at all? Or just effort or lack there of?

Anyway, i'd love it if someone could help me out. This is my 1st post but I've been lurking around here before. There's a group of us that still play the online dynasty and hopefully some year soon we'll have a new game to play.
Agility- by definition, its the ability to move quickly. It may help lineman contain fast DE's or LB's on the blitz. I'd have to check if my lineman have it.

Elusiveness- couldn't tell you, that's a good question.

Pursuit- is the ability to pick a proper pursuit angle. A low pursuit rating means a CPU player may take a bad route to attack the ballcarrier, and end up well behind him or in front of him, thus missing a chance at a tackle.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »