Home

So....I just spread the field at the 3 yard line...

This is a discussion on So....I just spread the field at the 3 yard line... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: So....I just spread the field at the 3 yard line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
I agree with you on both counts. What people keep forgetting, out of convenience, is that the game AI somehow is programmed to be in your huddle. Even if they put in their goal line set, they'd still shift out of it to cover receivers nearer the edge. That's the kind of adjustment any real football team would make.

It's ridiculous that you can't run unpredictable plays because the AI already knows what you're doing. You have to call a formation audible when you see a defense that is obviously aware of your play call? Bogus game design logic.
It's why I took any sort of trick plays out of the playbook. How am I supposed to run a reverse if the CPU knows it is coming, and the CB is simply going to always run right with your receiver into the backfield?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra85a
It's why I took any sort of trick plays out of the playbook. How am I supposed to run a reverse if the CPU knows it is coming, and the CB is simply going to always run right with your receiver into the backfield?
Oh, but don't do that. Keep some trick plays in your book. Here's why. You can always map 1 or 2 of them as standard audibles. I've noticed that the AI cheats only on the play you initially call. You can have success with an audible. It's like EA is pushing you to call audibles to beat their built-in cheat.

For example, I come out in a trips right formation, HB mid draw, but notice that the MLB is playing back too far, or their running a 4-2-5 which (for me) has been harder to successfully run draw plays. Since the LBs are taking away the middle of the field, I audible into a quick pass, adjust the interior WR to a slant out, etc, as my hot read, I adjust the middle WR to a slant in or drag, and if the LBs blitz, I've got a quick 5 yards out of the deal.

It can be done, but it takes more of a Payton Manning approach than most gamers are willing to let on. God help you if you're in a conservative tempo...
Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
With all due respect to you sir, you are exactly the kind of person EA hopes keeps buying their products. You sound like you're willing to accept bogus game design (laziness) over a well planned, built, and tested product, as long as the final results feel like football.

Please remember that there are many ways to arrive at what "looks" or "feels" like a football game, but that does not mean that this design is the standard. Allowing EA Sports to continue to modify old code with cheats and gimmicks is getting everyone further away from good game design, and this practice should not be acceptable to any of us.
Exactly. NBA2K11 plays like a real basketball game...I don't notice the AI cheating, I don't notice them, if I run a set play, breaking on one of my guys cutting before my guy even makes the cut.

That was a lame excuse....there is absolutely no reason in this day and age, especially when the game played better back in the day, to make up for defensive problems by making the defense psychic.

I remember 07, if I ran a post, if my reciever ran it well, he could beat the defender on the cut. I could run the option if I needed too...they still would do the goaline thing, but if I ran a play action from goal line and threw a fade to my TE, the game would bite on it if I had run in that situation before.

In this game, you can't run a post. If the guy is open downfield, the super LB bats it down. You can't run a fade. The triple option is impossible. The game freezes at key times causing missed tackles and me to be delayed on throwin the ball, causing INT's.

I'm just sick of rather than them programming in playcalling logic for the CPU, they just let them know the play. That is lazy IMO.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #20
Pro

sycodmn's Arena

OVR: 5

To be fair, if you're coming out with 5 WR at the 3 yard line, I'm coming out in a 4-4 and blitzing up the middle. There's so little field to defend there, I'd feel safe with the coverage, and you're most likely to run up the gut. A goalline set isn't *that* crazy, because you can still cover the 13 yards pretty easily in zone.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycodmn
To be fair, if you're coming out with 5 WR at the 3 yard line, I'm coming out in a 4-4 and blitzing up the middle. There's so little field to defend there, I'd feel safe with the coverage, and you're most likely to run up the gut. A goalline set isn't *that* crazy, because you can still cover the 13 yards pretty easily in zone.
And if I see that D, my hot read is a stop route in the endzone for an easy 6.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
And again, you missed the point. If I have 5 wide, and the computer is rushing 8 or 9 guys because I called a draw, that is the problem. They KNOW that since I called a running play, they can leave receivers uncovered.

SUre, I can audible, but it's bad play calling logic....in fact, it's not play calling logic.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
A goalline set against 5 wide has never been called in the history of football since football existed.

So yes... it is *that* crazy.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #24
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah some of you guys are missing the point. The point is the cpu should RESPECT the formation you are in. If you are in 5 wide, there is no reason why they should leave WRs UNCOVERED.

I mean in real life, that is the whole point of the spread offense, to SPREAD THE FIELD. If you coming out in 4 and 5 WR sets, that means the defense have to put a defender on EVERY WR.

Which causes them to SPREAD OUT. No coach in real life going to come out in goal line defense leaving WRs uncovered when they see a 5 WR set.

That coach would get fired. And that is the whole point of the thread. CPU needs to respect the formation they are facing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »