Home

Recruiting Quirks

This is a discussion on Recruiting Quirks within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12
Recruiting Quirks

Well I just finished my first season in Dynasty and there were a few things I noticed about recruiting that were either new, strange, or just notable.

1. A couple of my four-star recruits came in rated lower than some three-star recruits. This seems like a new development to me. Is it now possible to find underrated recruits and overrated recruits, or is this just an odd exception? Do the four-star guys then progress faster than the three-star guys? Unfortunately I won't be able to test the latter question because I had to make cuts to get to the 70 limit.

2. I think all of the ATHs I recruited ended up playing as either an HB or a WR. This could be an anomaly simply based on who I recruited, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. Why don't any play as CB or S or QB? I was hoping at least one could be built into a CB, as I was thin at that position, but no luck. This also leads to my next note.

3. During position changes, why can't any WR/HB guys move to CB/S? I had a couple tall WR recruits who I would have liked to move to CB, and since none of my ATHs worked out that way, I figured it might be alright. But no, they all end up as a 40 CB. Is this the standard now? I remember in older games you used to be able to move guys like this and have it work. I'm not saying all guys should automatically transition, but one or two really should.

4. It seems like ALL of the SPARQ 100 guys are WRs in this second recruiting cycle; it is in the area of 50%, and add to that the fact that most of the ATHs will also play WR. That seems overdone--plus since my roster was already WAY too full at the WR position, it sort of makes for recruiting needs and hoping to find quality at those needs more difficult.

5. There is also less five-star recruits, I think. 22 of them. I'm not sure if that number is low or not, but it does seem to be lower than normal. Perhaps this is just my imagination.

6. Recruits do seem to come in at lower ratings than previous versions. I imagine this is to compensate for last year's tendency to overpower freshmen, but as a check, has anyone had FR come in at higher than say 70-75?

In fairness, this is a small sample size as I've only gone through two recruiting cycles thus far. I will compare these numbers to future classes. But for those having extended dynasties, how do things look further out (say 5-10 seasons)? Anyone else notice recruiting goofs?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Rookie

NothingTrivial's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Recruiting Quirks

I cant answer all, but a for #2, most of the athletes will translate into WR or RB. Some will play lb, cb, even seen some OL-DL come out of the athletes. If you are looking through the athletes for any specific position you need to look at the recruits ratings instead of just recruiting him in hopes he will play out. look for higher Coverage rating for cb, tackle rating for lb, block shed-accerlation for DE, throw power for qb.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingTrivial
I cant answer all, but a for #2, most of the athletes will translate into WR or RB. Some will play lb, cb, even seen some OL-DL come out of the athletes. If you are looking through the athletes for any specific position you need to look at the recruits ratings instead of just recruiting him in hopes he will play out. look for higher Coverage rating for cb, tackle rating for lb, block shed-accerlation for DE, throw power for qb.
Yeah that's my own fault not realizing I could look at recruit's ratings. Oops. I was using size as a guide to try and figure out where they may play.

As an aside to this topic, I just noticed my own school's rating dropped in TV exposure. I was an independent last year and had a B+ rating. This season I moved into the ACC, am ranked considerably higher, and yet my TV rating dropped to a C+. That does not make sense. In fact, according to my Team Info page, I didn't have a single game either regionally or nationally broadcast last season (although on the schedule page it always had that dish next to my games). Is that why my rating dropped?

I wish they had not changed this--in old games, a TV set would indicate regional broadcast, a dish would indicate national broadcast. Why did they change that?? I much preferred the older system, and some games would receive neither broadcast and there would be no commentary. Why does EA mess with things that aren't broken?

Strangely enough my coach prestige did not improve either even though our school went from four-stars to five-stars prestige. Coach loyalty improved marginally from D to D+, but that I understand (only one season). Coach prestige should have done the same, if not more.

I think pro potential and fan base improved half a grade, and obviously conference prestige went from a D to a B, but some of the progressions here made no sense.

Last edited by jwilphl; 09-16-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 22

I can answer. One thing for u.. some three stars are better than four etc.... that feature. Was in previous years.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

There are good 1 and 2 * players too...

Attributes give you the most likely indication of initial overall ability. And my speculation is that the * system takes into account potential.

Some of these guys with great attributes, they don't develop much.... Case in point, I have a couple of HB's on my current team.

One was a 2* guy with good speed, great acceleration. He came in at like 75. He is a Sr. now and is only like 88 OVR. He shares carries. Not what I expectes.

The other was a 2* JUCO burner... second fastest guy on a very fast team. He returns kicks and is thrid on the depth chart. Also not what I had in mind.

My workhorse back... he is a 4*. But he came in rated lower (something like 68-ish). Now, he's low 90's. He just plays better despite the lower skill attributes.

Another interesting recruiting element in this year's edition is that there are some JUCO guys that can come in and play right away... especially at DE (I've nabbed a couple of mid 80's guys), and RB (speed burners). They require a little scouting though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Most of my athletes have come in as either better cornerbacks or safties. Recruits come in kinda low but that is because they end up progressing so much. In my 9th year right now there are 18 quarterbacks alone rated at 99 overall.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

I thought we were able to edit ratings in dynasty mode this year. If true, can you edit one of the ATH into a DB? Some may think it cheese, but if you set rules for yourself and do it realistically. I look at it as making up for the game's shortcomings.

Note: I haven't opened my copy of the game yet. Still debating whether to open or return it.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Rookie

mcpheje's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
3. During position changes, why can't any WR/HB guys move to CB/S? I had a couple tall WR recruits who I would have liked to move to CB, and since none of my ATHs worked out that way, I figured it might be alright. But no, they all end up as a 40 CB. Is this the standard now? I remember in older games you used to be able to move guys like this and have it work. I'm not saying all guys should automatically transition, but one or two really should.

5. There is also less five-star recruits, I think. 22 of them. I'm not sure if that number is low or not, but it does seem to be lower than normal. Perhaps this is just my imagination.

6. Recruits do seem to come in at lower ratings than previous versions. I imagine this is to compensate for last year's tendency to overpower freshmen, but as a check, has anyone had FR come in at higher than say 70-75?
Regarding #3, the game could definitely handle it better but with the ability to edit ratings it can be offset. I haven't tried it but I assume the ratings drop is mostly due to AWR so that could be set back closer to what it was pre-position change. Same for SPD and ACC if they still drop.

Regarding #5, the number of 5* guys is random. I save before going into the pre-season recruiting. Once the prospects are created I search to see how many 5* guys there are and if I don't get somewhere around 30, I just reload and try again. I want the power house teams to stay that way just like real life.

Regarding #6, in my latest recruiting class I ended up with at least 5 guys rated between 80 and 82. The 82 was a 3* JUCO QB so he doesn't count.

Last edited by mcpheje; 09-16-2011 at 03:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »